Watt punch on Allen run - He hung on to the ball!

On 12/17/2019 at 11:50 PM, Nick the Greek said:

I’m just waiting for some one to try and punch for a fumble, miss, and end up punching the ball carrier in the face. 

that’s gonna be hilarious. 

Yeah, its definitely not too far fetched for someone to break a wrist or some hand bones when taking a swing like that.

6 hours ago, Doc said:

If a player punches at the ball and contacts it, it should be legal.  If he misses and hits the player, it should be a penalty.  Similar to being able to hit a punter/kicker if you can contact the ball first.

I'm on board with this.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Would it be legal for a defensive player to come up from behind when a RB or QB or WR who was stood up or being tackled and just punch him as hard as you can in the back or solar plexus?

And why just one defender? Apparently it would be fine for a group of 3 or 4 to just surround the runner and start slugging him until he goes down.

Edited by 32ABBA

7 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Would it be legal for a defensive player to come up from behind when a RB or QB or WR who was stood up or being tackled and just punch him as hard as you can in the back or solar plexus?

One is a football move the other is not. By your analogy the Reggie White club move would not be allowed. 

19 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

Well, that's your opinion.  The question is and has been is it LEGAL to punch the ball carrier.  The jury is still out on that issue since NO ONE has even attempted to answer the question.

I'm skeptical about the legality because IF it WAS legal, why wouldn't everyone do it on every single play??!?!?!

Well, if the question is whether it is legal ... that's been asked and answered a dozen times in this thread.

Yeah, it's legal.

Again, the reason nobody does it is because punching delivers a lot less force than standard tackling form does.

The first time it was pointed out that it was legal was in the OP. To refresh your memory, the tweet with the highlight says:

"It is a perfectly legal play .. I can't believe Allen didn't fumble."

On 12/18/2019 at 1:43 PM, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Notice that nobody has been able to prove that it's not legal? That's because it's legal. It's just not very effective.

Edited by Thurman#1

7 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

Yeah. Just less painful than running into him with the legal hitting surface of the helmet if you are moving as you "come up from behind." Less likely to knock him to the ground as well.

On 12/20/2019 at 3:54 AM, Ethan in Portland said:

One is a football move the other is not. By your analogy the Reggie White club move would not be allowed. 

Not sure I'd classify punching a guy square in the balls as a 'football move' either.

On 12/20/2019 at 7:00 AM, Thurman#1 said:

Well, if the question is whether it is legal ... that's been asked and answered a dozen times in this thread.

Yeah, it's legal.

Again, the reason nobody does it is because punching delivers a lot less force than standard tackling form does.

The first time it was pointed out that it was legal was in the OP. To refresh your memory, the tweet with the highlight says:

"It is a perfectly legal play .. I can't believe Allen didn't fumble."

Notice that nobody has been able to prove that it's not legal? That's because it's legal. It's just not very effective.

Well maybe it shouldn't be.  Especially when he is now punching people in the junk.

Section 3 Unsportsmanlike Conduct Article 1  

There shall be no unsportsmanlike conduct. This applies to any act which is contrary to the generally understood principles of sportsmanship. Such acts specifically include, among others: (a) Throwing a punch, or a forearm, or kicking at an opponent even though no contact is made.

Just throwing this in there as it can be debated either way what Watt does is throwing a punch or just going for the ball.

On a side note this rule is a little further down the page:

FOULS TO PREVENT SCORE Article 2   The defense shall not commit successive or continued fouls to prevent a score. Penalty:

For continuous fouls to prevent a score: If the violation is repeated after a warning, the score involved is awarded to the offensive team.

Has anyone ever seen this happen?  I remember seeing some games where the defense just foul after foul, but I don't recall ever seeing this rule enforced ever.  I didn't even know it existed.  Sorry, I know this isn't what this thread is about.  I just happened to see this rule and found it interesting.