Phone Etiquette

plenzmd1

My wife works very early and I go to bed late so phone is out of bedroom unless it is a night we are expecting heavy snow fall and she expects calls from her staff.

A couple of times this has come to bite us with her trying to call when she gets to work but in general more good than bad.

9 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Ordering a pizza to be delivered to an unexpecting on your street and watching it from across.

The good old days.

in residence ordering it for down the hall and happening to show up and offer 30% for it after the rejection

39 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

People who know me, know to text rather than call.  With the exception of my Dad, who is so old school he always leaves a voice mail (or as he calls it the answering machine) if I don't answer

Just don't understand this. My rule is 2/2. If the text is more than two lines, or the string is more than 2 texts (initial and response) I call. Just saves time. Also you sometimes can't tell if a person is kidding or serious in a text. Damn auto correct also has me saying things I didn't mean when trying to text without glasses. Exception is group texts, admit there is some value in reaching out to several people in a single text rather than making several calls.

Edited by Steve O

My phone is on silent, no vibrate, 24/7.

If someone calls and I miss it, I figure if it's important, they'll leave a voicemail.

Otherwise, I check my phone very frequently.  But I don't want to be alerted in any way, shape or form, unless I'm expecting a call/text.

When I go to bed, my phone stays in the kitchen.  I have a landline that will ring if anyone calls or needs me at that hour.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, row_33 said:

With the amber alerts going off at 2am and every 15 minutes or so, even after it was resolved hour earlier.... most people go to Do Not Disturb for their sleep.

or quickly learn to. :D

text and email away whenever you like

I have amber alerts turned off. Keep ringer on incase if emergency. Don’t call after midnight or before 730am. A text is fine just don’t send a bunch of them. 

1 hour ago, I am the egg man said:

Diabolical !

top minds (and me) from various majors

11 minutes ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I have amber alerts turned off. Keep ringer on incase if emergency. Don’t call after midnight or before 730am. A text is fine just don’t send a bunch of them. 

up here you are the worst person ever if you don’t worship amber alerts.

and you can’t avoid them on your phone or TV

Just stop it when the situation has been resolved, that’s all, please??? Don’t do it over and over for five hours after.

Edited by row_33
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

top minds (and me) from various majors

up here you are the worst person ever if you don’t worship amber alerts.

and you can’t avoid them on your phone or TV

Just stop it when the situation has been resolved, that’s all, please??? Don’t do it over and over for five hours after.

I got a lot of flak when I told people I turned them off but once the group broke up and went back to work they came one by one quietly asking if I could turn theirs off. 

The repeating alert is what caused me to turn it off. 

2 hours ago, Marv's Neighbor said:

Asking people under 35 about rules??

That's who @plenzmd1 hangs out with at Hammer's lot.......I'm a witness (and participant) despite my old age.

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

My phone is on silent, no vibrate, 24/7.

If someone calls and I miss it, I figure if it's important, they'll leave a voicemail.

Otherwise, I check my phone very frequently.  But I don't want to be alerted in any way, shape or form, unless I'm expecting a call/text.

When I go to bed, my phone stays in the kitchen.  I have a landline that will ring if anyone calls or needs me at that hour.

Man you are an interesting fellow. White bread, grape jelly, Skippy PB, and your phone doesn't have alerts. 

Kudos to that lifestyle.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Robocalls to the home phone begin promptly at 9:00am. ?

I often stay up late, and 9:00am is often too early. ??

I keep my cell in my bathroom charging at night. I won’t hear a text or email notification, but I will hear it ring if there is an emergency call. I have a 92 year old mother in town, so it seems like a good idea. 

I worked for a (TERRIBLE) company that pushed venders to get work in ASAP every day so we could look better in our turnaround time getting it to the banks. . They would come in every morning at 8:00am and start calling trying to prod for results. Unfortunately, these jerks did a very poor job of checking time zones before calling, often calling people at 6:00am or earlier. It was NOT a winning strategy as it just made everybody hate us. Worst job I ever had. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I got a lot of flak when I told people I turned them off but once the group broke up and went back to work they came one by one quietly asking if I could turn theirs off. 

The repeating alert is what caused me to turn it off. 

cant get rid of it on Canada

in addition they have caused it to go off over 1,000 miles from the spot of the concern

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, row_33 said:

in residence ordering it for down the hall and happening to show up and offer 30% for it after the rejection

I don't thinks kids have it that easy anymore.  They probably mandate pre-payment on a card now in college areas.

54 minutes ago, Augie said:

Robocalls to the home phone begin promptly at 9:00am. ?

I often stay up late, and 9:00am is often too early. ??

I keep my cell in my bathroom charging at night. I won’t hear a text or email notification, but I will hear it ring if there is an emergency call. I have a 92 year old mother in town, so it seems like a good idea. 

I worked for a (TERRIBLE) company that pushed venders to get work in ASAP every day so we could look better in our turnaround time getting it to the banks. . They would come in every morning at 8:00am and start calling trying to prod for results. Unfortunately, these jerks did a very poor job of checking time zones before calling, often calling people at 6:00am or earlier. It was NOT a winning strategy as it just made everybody hate us. Worst job I ever had. 

LoL... There are ways to fix this:

source.gif

Just put some weight into it... Get to the gym first:

giphy.gif

• Haha (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

I don't thinks kids have it that easy anymore.  They probably mandate pre-payment on a card now in college areas.

cash was king back then, prepaid now.

but places knew they’d take a hit on campus deliveries, a margin on the extra business 

i typed essays for $$$, i think I made $100 typing.the same one three times, one got burned for plagiarism

a few times I typed out an assignment for $$ that I was also to hand in myself later that week

Edited by row_33