Phone Etiquette

plenzmd1

13 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Question for you all out there,  especially the folks under 35. Me being  the old bugger that I am, I quite frequently get up before 5 AM just cause I am old. 

I will often text / email people then, as I always turn off ringer before I go to bed, and I just assume everyone else does as well ( keep it off  most days to be honest ). Anyway, just hit me maybe not everyone does that, and maybe like the old days when you did not call someone after 9 Pm or before 7AM maybe there are rules and norms for this stuff and I just do. It know them. 

Any help/ideas ?

I am with you. it’s on the recipient to set their phone to the right settings if they don’t want to be disturbed. 

• Like (+1) 2

14 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Question for you all out there,  especially the folks under 35. Me being  the old bugger that I am, I quite frequently get up before 5 AM just cause I am old. 

I will often text / email people then, as I always turn off ringer before I go to bed, and I just assume everyone else does as well ( keep it off  most days to be honest ). Anyway, just hit me maybe not everyone does that, and maybe like the old days when you did not call someone after 9 Pm or before 7AM maybe there are rules and norms for this stuff and I just do. It know them. 

Any help/ideas ?

I have specific instructions from several friends not to call text or Facebook message them before 9 am or after 10 pm

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I have specific instructions from several friends not to call text or Facebook message them before 9 am or after 10 pm

I gave my own mother those instructions, except it’s 9 pm. Hey, I used to get up VERY early for work! Now that I don’t? I see no need to change the tradition! 

22 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Any help/ideas ?

the ringer is always on. if there is an emergency and someone needs help or... god forbid there is bad news, i don't want to have missed the call.

• Thank you (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

That's who @plenzmd1 hangs out with at Hammer's lot.......I'm a witness (and participant) despite my old age.

Man you are an interesting fellow. White bread, grape jelly, Skippy PB, and your phone doesn't have alerts. 

Kudos to that lifestyle.

Full disclosure, while that is what I believe to be the best PB/J sandwich, I rarely have PB in the house, never have jelly and when I buy bread, it's 12-grain.  The white bread, high sugar days are over for me.  But the phone really IS on silent 24/7!!

On 11/23/2019 at 7:22 AM, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

An ironic comparison to a fairly ‘well to do’ set of relatives, who would use ‘phone rings’ in the old days, to avoid long distance charges.  “Don’t pick up before 3 rings!  L and B will call, and let it ring twice, to let us know they’re home!”

EDIT:  Maybe that’s how they got to be ‘well to do’...not giving it to Ma Bell!  ?

"Collect call from: 'Mom, can you come pick me up now? Everybody else is getting ready to go.' Do you accept the charges?"

People can call me whenever they want.  I can't even tell you the last time I heard the ringer on my phone (and it's an awesome one).  I could probably just break the button off of my phone because my may as well be permanently set to silent.