Jump to content
Augie

Do you still have a landline? Why? Why not?

Do you still have a landline?  

71 members have voted

  1. 1. Do you still have a landline



Recommended Posts

Do you still have a landline? I’ve been thinking about this for a while, and my wife brought up ditching the home phone just last night after yet another robocall. I average 4-6 robocalls/day and they seem to be getting worse. I don’t need a car warranty, I don’t have any federal student loans and I don’t need a lower interest rate on my credit cards. Half the time there isn’t even anything on the other end, just silence. I block the numbers, but I don’t think that even slows them down. 

 

For us it’s not the cost (but that IS is a real thing), just the annoyance of robocalls. We still have the home phone for two reasons. We can call our cell phone if we can’t find it (very rare) and it will tell emergency services where we are if we ever need to call 911 (has NEVER happened, and hope it never will, but....)

 

It’s gotten to the point that legit calls come in (very rarely) and I start out with a nasty, disgusted  tone until I realize it’s real and someone I need.

 

How about you?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went from Verizon landline(~$65 a month for basic service) to Time-Warner Triple Play, to no landline.  Been without for 4-5 years now.  Don't miss it.  Anyone who needs to reach us, has our cell numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

we do but it's not even hooked up.  i think it was one of those deals with spectrum where it would cost more if we didn't get it.  

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, teef said:

we do but it's not even hooked up.  i think it was one of those deals with spectrum where it would cost more if we didn't get it.  

 

You could be missing an important fax while you sit around listening to your 8 track tapes! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Augie said:

 

You could be missing an important fax while you sit around listening to your 8 track tapes! 

nothing infuriates me more than watching tv, to see the called id come up as complete spam.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a landline and I use it daily.  99% of the spam calls I get are when I'm not home.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Augie said:

Do you still have a landline? I’ve been thinking about this for a while, and my wife brought up ditching the home phone just last night after yet another robocall. I average 4-6 robocalls/day and they seem to be getting worse. I don’t need a car warranty, I don’t have any federal student loans and I don’t need a lower interest rate on my credit cards. Half the time there isn’t even anything on the other end, just silence. I block the numbers, but I don’t think that even slows them down. 

 

For us it’s not the cost (but that IS is a real thing), just the annoyance of robocalls. We still have the home phone for two reasons. We can call our cell phone if we can’t find it (very rare) and it will tell emergency services where we are if we ever need to call 911 (has NEVER happened, and hope it never will, but....)

 

It’s gotten to the point that legit calls come in (very rarely) and I start out with a nasty, disgusted  tone until I realize it’s real and someone I need.

 

How about you?  

....yup...packaged up with my Spectrum cable and internet......only use it where where phone number is required......machine grabs nuisance messages when I do not want to give out my cell....

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, teef said:

nothing infuriates me more than watching tv, to see the called id come up as complete spam.

 

“Call from....then read out the entire ten digit number”. It seems like it lasts forever! I want to throw a shoe at the TV......but I’m pretty sure that’s a bad idea. So far I have refrained. 

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

....yup...packaged up with my Spectrum cable and internet......only use it where where phone number is required......machine grabs nuisance messages when I do not want to give out my cell....

 

Our is part of a package too. I find 90%+ do not leave a message. Heck, about 50% there is absolutely NOTHING on the other end if I decide to pick it up. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Augie said:

 

“Call from....then read out the entire ten digit number”. It seems like it lasts forever! I want to throw a shoe at the TV......but I’m pretty sure that’s a bad idea. So far I have refrained. 

 

Our is part of a package too. I find 90%+ do not leave a message. Heck, about 50% there is absolutely NOTHING on the other end if I decide to pick it up. 

 

 

....their software weeds out the expected spam....and I can block phone numbers......despite efforts to stop their calls, the effin' Red Cross calls constantly for my kids who no longer live with me as well as for my late wife and mother.....beyond obnoxious.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've often thought about buying a "magic jack", and then using that for anything I do where I have to provide a number, then get a new cell number and only hand out to family and friends.

 

$50, and then a few $$$ a month after 1st year...

 

https://www.magicjack.com/

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have one but have never made a call on it nor picked up a call in 10 years or so, it rings once in awhile. Only reason we have it is that she works out of the house for Hilton so it is necessary for hooking up to the computer... why and how I don't know and don't care but we have to have it for that. Its just a thing here really.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, T&C said:

We have one but have never made a call on it nor picked up a call in 10 years or so, it rings once in awhile. Only reason we have it is that she works out of the house for Hilton so it is necessary for hooking up to the computer... why and how I don't know and don't care but we have to have it for that. Its just a thing here really.

 

Once in a while??? I want that! How can that be? I swear we get 4-6 robocalls daily! They start right after 9:00am, then get heavy around dinner time.  I should have included how many robocalls do you get! It’s maddening. I’m surprised the phone carriers have not lobbied HARD to shut this down. It’s the ONLY reason I’m considering dropping a home phone. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have the Spectrum cable/Internet/telephone combo. The telephone gets mostly spam calls, and calls from some older family members.  All other calls are on the cell phones.  I’m not sure why we have it, except that it’s been our home phone number for 35 years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

just to the bullpen

 

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes.....because its bundled into our cable plan. Rarely answer it because it's 99% telemarketers. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

ObiTalk 200: $70 on Amazon

Google Voice: Free

 

No monthly phone bill

Free long distance

Free voicemail

Free texting

Unknown callers are greeted by "Please state your name for the Google Voice subscriber" before connecting.  This trips up most robo-dialers and telemarketing call centers

 

Sure the NSA and Google are listening, but so are your land line providers

Edited by /dev/null
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Yes.....because its bundled into our cable plan. Rarely answer it because it's 99% telemarketers. 

 

Does it not drive you crazy???

 

Maybe that’s just me, but I’m fed up with it! 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Augie said:

 

Once in a while??? I want that! How can that be? I swear we get 4-6 robocalls daily! They start right after 9:00am, then get heavy around dinner time.  I should have included how many robocalls do you get! It’s maddening. I’m surprised the phone carriers have not lobbied HARD to shut this down. It’s the ONLY reason I’m considering dropping a home phone. 

My only guess is that no one has picked up a call ever on it so maybe the robo folks decided it was a piece of ***** number to call and put it on their own don't call list lol.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

ObiTalk 200: $70 on Amazon

Google Voice: Free

 

No monthly phone bill

Free long distance

Free voicemail

Free texting

Unknown callers are greeted by "Please state your name for the Google Voice subscriber" before connecting.  This trips up most robo-dialers and telemarketing call centers

 

Sure the NSA and Google are listening, but so are your land line providers

 

I love the voice screening on my pixel

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have one but no traditional phone connected to it. Have for two reasons: 1.) security system uses it 2.) Wife uses it (very infrequently) for faxes for her biz. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We have landline.  I used to work in cell phone industry and know with a good landline phone provider the sound quality is better than a cell phone. The problem is finding such a provider.  We currently have Verizon package and having Verizon makes me feel like if I was required to hang a P*ts flag at my house but the alternate is Cox which is equivalent to hang a Phish flag at my home. 

 

We have bought an add-on spam identifier/blocking device which works except for some of the spammers who regularly change their numbers and I think they are using caller id spoofing considering how many different numbers they use.  

 

Oh and there are two sounds which auto dialers recognize as number out of service.  Occasionally I will play on computer with phone on speaker and some do not call back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
36 minutes ago, Augie said:

 

Does it not drive you crazy???

 

Maybe that’s just me, but I’m fed up with it! 

Absolutely....and my phone setup only allows me to block 25 numbers which I seem to have exhausted in the first month. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

Absolutely....and my phone setup only allows me to block 25 numbers which I seem to have exhausted in the first month. 

 

I think you could get elected to public office if you promise to fix this single issue! 

 

You could break the promise, as is standard procedure, but you WOULD get elected!  😋

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...