Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
BillsBlue

Greg Roman would've been the perfect O coordinator for this squad😔

Recommended Posts

Call me crazy but Greg Roman would have been the perfect play caller for this current squad. Look at what he's made of Lamar in Baltimore. He knows how to call plays to his teams strengths. We would have already been gashing teams all season with singletary and Allen would look even better than he already does because the play action would be working well for it.  Just my 2 cents but daboll has gotta go he's holding this team back I can't take watching any more of these head scratching "cute" play calls when the game is on the line. 

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If Roman was teamed with a stronger HC and not with the Ryan brothers, he could have had some success here.

  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roman was/is a great Coordinator.  We lost him because we needed a scapegoat for our offensive struggles and that certainly wasn't going to be Tyrod.

Tyrod is now on the bench again and Roman is a coordinator with the #1 offense in the league averaging 33 points per game.  

But Roman was holding Tyrod back....LOL.  

  • Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thanks! (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roman needed a HC to reign him in a bit.  He’s a great play designer but struggled with disciplined play calling on game day.  Remember the chaos that would occur as Tyrod waited and waited and waited for Roman to send the play in, as the play clock ticked down?  By the time they’d get to the line Tyrod wouldn’t have time to survey the defense (not that it mattered - Tyrod didn’t really read defenses presnap).  Harbaugh seems to have helped Roman develop into a more compete game day coach.

 

But if he ever gets a HC opportunity watch out, because I don’t see him succeeding in a situation where he’s the top man with no one to collar his worst tendencies.

  • Like (+1) 5
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Roman needed a HC to reign him in a bit.  He’s a great play designer but struggled with disciplined play calling on game day.  Remember the chaos that would occur as Tyrod waited and waited and waited for Roman to send the play in, as the play clock ticked down?  By the time they’d get to the line Tyrod wouldn’t have time to survey the defense (not that it mattered - Tyrod didn’t really read defenses presnap).  Harbaugh seems to have helped Roman develop into a more compete game day coach.

 

But if he ever gets a HC opportunity watch out, because I don’t see him succeeding in a situation where he’s the top man with no one to collar his worst tendencies.


We weren’t late getting the play in on every single play.  It happened here and there like every NFL QB.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Royale with Cheese said:


We weren’t late getting the play in on every single play.  It happened here and there like every NFL QB.


It was rampant and it came to a head during that nighttime home game against the Jets that they lost, there was absolute chaos on the sideline and huddle during nearly every offensive series and Roman was fired the next morning.  It was a constant issue with him.

  • Like (+1) 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Azucho98 said:

If Roman was teamed with a stronger HC and not with the Ryan brothers, he could have had some success here.

To be fair, his offense finished in the top 10 with Tyrod Taylor at QB.  So 1 year of success I supoose.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, BillsBlue said:

Call me crazy but Greg Roman would have been the perfect play caller for this current squad. Look at what he's made of Lamar in Baltimore. He knows how to call plays to his teams strengths. We would have already been gashing teams all season with singletary and Allen would look even better than he already does because the play action would be working well for it.  Just my 2 cents but daboll has gotta go he's holding this team back I can't take watching any more of these head scratching "cute" play calls when the game is on the line. 


An Offensive coordinator as a scapegoat for an underperforming QB and an offense who can’t score points?  Hmmmm that sounds familiar 

  • Like (+1) 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, auburnbillsbacker said:

To be fair, his offense finished in the top 10 with Tyrod Taylor at QB.  So 1 year of success I supoose.

Exactly imagine what he could've done with Allen instead of tyrod and some decent wrs like we have now

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Roman was/is a great Coordinator.  We lost him because we needed a scapegoat for our offensive struggles and that certainly wasn't going to be Tyrod.

Tyrod is now on the bench again and Roman is a coordinator with the #1 offense in the league averaging 33 points per game.  

But Roman was holding Tyrod back....LOL.  

 

Okay, but didn’t Anthony Lynn step in and make noticeable improvements to the offense almost immediately?  For whatever reason, Roman was not effective as an OC/playcaller that season.

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

 

Okay, but didn’t Anthony Lynn step in and make noticeable improvements to the offense almost immediately?  For whatever reason, Roman was not effective as an OC/playcaller that season.

 

Roman's offense scored 31 the week he was fired, but the Ryan bros' defense gave up 37 to Fitzmagic (who struggled the rest of the year) and Roman was the scapegoat. 

 

Like others have said, Roman had his faults and a stronger HC probably would have been able to work through them. He was good for at least one head-scratching gadget play per game, but no one can argue that he made Tyrod Taylor look like an above-competent QB, and now he's turned a similar type of QB into an MVP candidate. 

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm obviously looking at things differently Roman was a good coach and doing a great job now. Lets face it Rex can get any coach fired.

Tyrod and Allen are allergic to open receivers.

Tyrod would protect the ball... maybe to a fault. Allen is extremely careless and doesn't have the pocket presence.

Tyrod would occasionally put up 30 point games.  Allen has trouble getting to 20.

I know I will be criticized but I don't see Allen being a step up from TT. I am banking that JA has an upside that we have not seen yet.

  • Like (+1) 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:


It was rampant and it came to a head during that nighttime home game against the Jets that they lost, there was absolute chaos on the sideline and huddle during nearly every offensive series and Roman was fired the next morning.  It was a constant issue with him.

 

I think you're exaggerating this.  We made him the highest paid Coordinator in the league after San Francisco.....he doesn't get that type of deal if he can't organize the game from the sidelines.  He was good, we just had a bad QB.

17 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

 

Okay, but didn’t Anthony Lynn step in and make noticeable improvements to the offense almost immediately?  For whatever reason, Roman was not effective as an OC/playcaller that season.

 

It was two games in.  We started 0-2 in the first 4 days of the season since the Jets game was a TNF game.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, BillsBlue said:

Exactly imagine what he could've done with Allen instead of tyrod and some decent wrs like we have now

AND what the team could have done overall with the defense we have now...even with the recent run stopping struggles.  We could go a long way with an average middle of the pack offense.

Edited by Azucho98
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Roman needed a HC to reign him in a bit.  He’s a great play designer but struggled with disciplined play calling on game day.  Remember the chaos that would occur as Tyrod waited and waited and waited for Roman to send the play in, as the play clock ticked down?  By the time they’d get to the line Tyrod wouldn’t have time to survey the defense (not that it mattered - Tyrod didn’t really read defenses presnap).  Harbaugh seems to have helped Roman develop into a more compete game day coach.

 

But if he ever gets a HC opportunity watch out, because I don’t see him succeeding in a situation where he’s the top man with no one to collar his worst tendencies.

He’s almost certain to get that opportunity this coming offseason. And well deserved. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

He’s almost certain to get that opportunity this coming offseason. And well deserved. 

 

Unless he's changed his approach to management and commication (which is possible if he's learned under Harbaugh), he'll faceplant as a HC.

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

 

Unless he's changed his approach to management and commication (which is possible if he's learned under Harbaugh), he'll faceplant as a HC.

If he does get an opportunity he'll need to hire coordinators with HC experience and a spine. And his OC will need to be well versed in passing concepts. Maybe someone like Whisenhunt 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Roman is a genius at designing run plays and coordinating blocking schemes for the rushing attack. There isn’t anyone better. However, his passing game is dependent upon the pressure applied by the rushing attack. He currently has the most talented QB prospect he’s ever had, and Jackson’s skill set and Romans offense are a perfect marriage. Roman has also adapted and improved his organization and playcalling. I’m interested to see how/if the offense evolves over 2-3 seasons as previous QBs have faltered as the league catches up to the rushing concepts and the QB starts taking hits. 
 

By contrast Daboll is basically running Charlie Weiss’ EP offense with some west coast and college concepts (RPO, etc) integrated into it. It’s not a simple system and is kind of an amoeba based on exploiting matchups. With a young and inexperienced QB this style of offense isn’t going to look good. Instead of being advantageous, this offense just looks like it lacks an identity right now. All the pressure for offensive improvement is on Allen to get better. The kid needs more help with both talent and playcalling. 

  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Roman is a genius at designing run plays and coordinating blocking schemes for the rushing attack. There isn’t anyone better. However, his passing game is dependent upon the pressure applied by the rushing attack. He currently has the most talented QB prospect he’s ever had, and Jackson’s skill set and Romans offense are a perfect marriage. Roman has also adapted and improved his organization and playcalling. I’m interested to see how/if the offense evolves over 2-3 seasons as previous QBs have faltered as the league catches up to the rushing concepts and the QB starts taking hits. 
 

By contrast Daboll is basically running Charlie Weiss’ EP offense with some west coast and college concepts (RPO, etc) integrated into it. It’s not a simple system and is kind of an amoeba based on exploiting matchups. With a young and inexperienced QB this style of offense isn’t going to look good. Instead of being advantageous, this offense just looks like it lacks an identity right now. All the pressure for offensive improvement is on Allen to get better. The kid needs more help with both talent and playcalling. 

Excellent take and thanks for the education 👍

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Roman is a genius at designing run plays and coordinating blocking schemes for the rushing attack. There isn’t anyone better. However, his passing game is dependent upon the pressure applied by the rushing attack. He currently has the most talented QB prospect he’s ever had, and Jackson’s skill set and Romans offense are a perfect marriage. Roman has also adapted and improved his organization and playcalling. I’m interested to see how/if the offense evolves over 2-3 seasons as previous QBs have faltered as the league catches up to the rushing concepts and the QB starts taking hits. 
 

By contrast Daboll is basically running Charlie Weiss’ EP offense with some west coast and college concepts (RPO, etc) integrated into it. It’s not a simple system and is kind of an amoeba based on exploiting matchups. With a young and inexperienced QB this style of offense isn’t going to look good. Instead of being advantageous, this offense just looks like it lacks an identity right now. All the pressure for offensive improvement is on Allen to get better. The kid needs more help with both talent and playcalling. 

 

Seems like they need at least one pass catcher  that can consistently win one on one. Not seeing  that guy guy on the roster and I don’t mean deep speed. 

 

Cleveland sent 7 multiple times, with 5 Bills running patterns. Even if you don’t have time to find the uncovered guy no one is doubled.

 

Other things on this topic: 

 

They really need to fix their screen game. Devin is great at it. With Chan’s O, similar roots, screen game was outstanding.

 

Romans west coast offense might work ok here, but Kap and Lamar are better runners than josh and the version of Gore he had was different than now. 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BillsBlue said:

Call me crazy but Greg Roman would have been the perfect play caller for this current squad. Look at what he's made of Lamar in Baltimore. He knows how to call plays to his teams strengths. We would have already been gashing teams all season with singletary and Allen would look even better than he already does because the play action would be working well for it.  Just my 2 cents but daboll has gotta go he's holding this team back I can't take watching any more of these head scratching "cute" play calls when the game is on the line. 

 

To be fair - rex fired him.  He has no relationship with any of the coaches or GMs here so I'm not sure why anyone would expect us to have brought him in.  

Just now, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

 

Seems like they need at least one pass catcher  that can consistently win one on one. Not seeing  that guy guy on the roster and I don’t mean deep speed. 

 

Cleveland sent 7 multiple times, with 5 Bills running patterns. Even if you don’t have time to find the uncovered guy no one is doubled.

 

Other thing to note: 

 

They really need to fix their screen game. Devin is great at it. 

 

 

 

 

 

 

I think the screen game issue has a lot to do with allens athleticism.  Teams are employing spies, and adjusting rush angles to try and prevent him from breaking contain.  By doing that they're also muddying up the screen game it seems.  

17 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

Roman is a genius at designing run plays and coordinating blocking schemes for the rushing attack. There isn’t anyone better. However, his passing game is dependent upon the pressure applied by the rushing attack. He currently has the most talented QB prospect he’s ever had, and Jackson’s skill set and Romans offense are a perfect marriage. Roman has also adapted and improved his organization and playcalling. I’m interested to see how/if the offense evolves over 2-3 seasons as previous QBs have faltered as the league catches up to the rushing concepts and the QB starts taking hits. 
 

By contrast Daboll is basically running Charlie Weiss’ EP offense with some west coast and college concepts (RPO, etc) integrated into it. It’s not a simple system and is kind of an amoeba based on exploiting matchups. With a young and inexperienced QB this style of offense isn’t going to look good. Instead of being advantageous, this offense just looks like it lacks an identity right now. All the pressure for offensive improvement is on Allen to get better. The kid needs more help with both talent and playcalling. 

 

Look at the last play on 3rd and 4.  Clock running, checks to a cover 0 beater with john brown and throws it towards the sideline and gives his guy a chance. 

 

Now take that same play and employ gronkowski... that's gotta be like a 90% completion/PI play.  Talent would help tremendously.  

  • Like (+1) 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Look at the last play on 3rd and 4.  Clock running, checks to a cover 0 beater with john brown and throws it towards the sideline and gives his guy a chance. 

 

Now take that same play and employ gronkowski... that's gotta be like a 90% completion/PI play.  Talent would help tremendously.  

this

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

 

Seems like they need at least one pass catcher  that can consistently win one on one. Not seeing  that guy guy on the roster and I don’t mean deep speed. 

 

Cleveland sent 7 multiple times, with 5 Bills running patterns. Even if you don’t have time to find the uncovered guy no one is doubled. Activating Duke would help with this right now. Honestly, I think it’s time to start rolling with Sweeney, Kroft, and Knox and deactivating Lee Smith. Too many negative plays. I’d rather have more talented pass catchers on the field. I also think that there’s no reason to utilize McK if those jets sweeps and gadget plays aren’t heavily featured. I’m pretty sure we’ve all seen those plays work when run by Roberts, Foster, and Knox. They could certainly put Knox out wide and motion him for a jet sweep or to line up at FB in an offset I. 

 

Other things on this topic: 

 

They really need to fix their screen game. Devin is great at it. With Chan’s O, similar roots, screen game was outstanding. They’ve used the same screen to often. It’s being recognized. It’s time to start getting creative with personnel... Perhaps a play action screen to Gore. 🤷‍♂️

 

Romans west coast offense might work ok here, but Kap and Lamar are better runners than josh and the version of Gore he had was different than now. 👍🏼

 

 

 

 

 

 

9 minutes ago, dneveu said:

 

To be fair - rex fired him.  He has no relationship with any of the coaches or GMs here so I'm not sure why anyone would expect us to have brought him in.  

This ^^^. 
 

I think the screen game issue has a lot to do with allens athleticism.  Teams are employing spies, and adjusting rush angles to try and prevent him from breaking contain.  By doing that they're also muddying up the screen game it seems.  I’m sure that plays a part as does the frequent zone coverage teams are using when not employing a spy. They need to adapt by using Gore for screens and quick hitters outside to stretch the D horizontally. I also think there will be some more space if they can start connecting on deep passes. Foster had some easy short and intermediate catches last year after he torched a few teams. 

 

Look at the last play on 3rd and 4.  Clock running, checks to a cover 0 beater with john brown and throws it towards the sideline and gives his guy a chance. 

 

Now take that same play and employ gronkowski... that's gotta be like a 90% completion/PI play.  Talent would help tremendously.  With the current personnel we have limited options. Maybe use 12 personnel with trips. 🤷‍♂️  Lining up Kroft, Knox, and McK in a bunch would certainly scream screen to the defense which might help to open an easy slant or seam route for a TE  

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

 

Unless he's changed his approach to management and commication (which is possible if he's learned under Harbaugh), he'll faceplant as a HC.

It doesn’t really matter if he’s changed his ways or not, what he has done with Jackson is nothing short of a miracle. An OC that can get the most of out of his young QB is worth his weight in gold (and for him, that’s a lot of gold!). He’ll have his pick of the bottom dwellers. Maybe Dallas. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...