This team is still a year away

7 hours ago, Reader said:

I honestly do not get the Jauron comparison. By that logic we should have compared Rex and Gailey because both had good offenses and bad defenses. McD goes for it on 4th a lot and we had plays today that were too aggressive. I guess if McD is intentionally icing leads, which I'm not convinced he is doing, then that is one similarity.

Clear difference here is that Gailey ran the offense and Rex ran the defense. However, yes we have an issue with hiring coordinators that seem to absolve themselves of at least one facet of the team.

7 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

The first year was the breakdown of the old regime, last year was the first in the rebuild, this is only year two with a very young core. Next year will be the year we get more talent at key positions and will be where we need to be on better, more consistent playing level.

There is a process here and we want it all to go faster but it cant . We have to work with what we have and its going to take time for these players and the next set of players to push this team to the next level

Agreed. This was my thought at the beginning of the season and that hasn't changed. One good thing is they are learning to win close games. Not always, but far more often than years past.

This is Allen's second year in a pro offense. Most qbs learn in college, he's learning in the NFL. The coaches know this and are calling plays accordingly. That might mean they don't always call the best play but Allen must learn each type of play. He has proven he can learn and improve. Improving the talent around him will help in future. Let's give it time.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Why do so many people think a DE, WR, and RB will just fall into our laps in the off-season? They couldn't, or won't, pay the price to bring big names in here and the draft is a crapshoot. I feel like this comes straight from the people still thinking they hit on all their draft picks for the last 2 years. This team is old in many spots, and holes are going to open up faster than they are filled. They already need a new O-line with problems at LT (gets beat by every decent rusher), at least one guard, and RT. 

12 minutes ago, dickleyjones said:

Agreed. This was my thought at the beginning of the season and that hasn't changed. One good thing is they are learning to win close games. Not always, but far more often than years past.

This is Allen's second year in a pro offense. Most qbs learn in college, he's learning in the NFL. The coaches know this and are calling plays accordingly. That might mean they don't always call the best play but Allen must learn each type of play. He has proven he can learn and improve. Improving the talent around him will help in future. Let's give it time.

They don't though. Most colleges don't run a pro-style anymore, and in fact the NFL is moving more towards the NCAA styles. Allen was no worse off in college than any other QB. Wyoming isn't some DIII nobody and have/do produce NFL talent. It's like a hard luck story we've created here to give him an out, but there are 3-4 guys on offense from his teams that have played professionally. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

The first year was the breakdown of the old regime, last year was the first in the rebuild, this is only year two with a very young core. Next year will be the year we get more talent at key positions and will be where we need to be on better, more consistent playing level.

There is a process here and we want it all to go faster but it cant . We have to work with what we have and its going to take time for these players and the next set of players to push this team to the next level

Another thing i want to address here about today's game is McDermott made the right decision to kick the FG at the end of the game. Many of you are proclaiming Jauron Ball when in fact McD went for it twice on 4th down earlier in the game and the team FAILED !!

What makes you think he should try for it a third time when on this day against this team they couldn't convert on 4th down and the offense overall was inconsistent?? McDermott needs to be confident they will make it and with the way they were playing he could not make that decision and made the right call by kicking the FG and if it was made we then have a chance in overtime. Hauschka was not good today but normally he is, this game maybe showing he is declining but he was our best choice at the time.

Agree overall!!

The other issue was there was only 22 seconds left.  Assuming they go for it and make it, there's likely 16 to 18 seconds left, if the play ends in bounds you'd have to take your last TO, then you take a chance if you run another play it has to end OB or may end up up with the clock running out.  Granted it may have been a 5 to 7 yard shorter kick, but still  overall I agree with the kick then too.

Overall agree, people have got too giddy over the 4-1, 6-2 start and thinking we can win 10 to 11 games. The offense has put some of the pieces in place to be better but still needs work.  What has become a the main TE and RB are rookies, the QB has played in 20 games total and was a guy when taken, the comment was will need time to develop.

Look at Cleveland's WR, they have a legit #1 and a 1A  We have a legit 1A, add a second 1A may be fine as opposed to a true #1, but either way besides Beasley and Brown, and Roberts for ST, the WR's don't scare anyone.  How's it looking lately that they got rid of Zay, haven't heard much from that crowd lately?

The line is still at least one legit top level player away  from being good.  The simple answer may be they need a RT, let Spain walk and move Ford to guard.  But am beginning to think it best to move Dawkins to RT and get a true LT.  Trouble with that they are harder to find.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

You’re welcome, indeed ENCOURAGED to seek another team to follow and cheer for.

That won't work.  If the Bills left town I'd lose all interest in the NFL.  So the only solution to the dilemma is for the Bills to become a good team, some way, some how.

54 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea no I don't. I don't like the way McDermott coaches football games.... nor do I think these guys know how to assemble a competent NFL offense. Yesterday was bound to happen. 

He is Dick jauron reincarnated. Play not to lose, play scared, a turnover is a sin to him, and don't be aggressive with the lead because that may lead to a turnover. 

That 20 second huddle before the 3rd down summed up McD in a nutshell. 

You and I are on the same page, here.

8 hours ago, Estro said:

This team being a year away is an optimistic viewpoint IMO.  With every passing week, I'm becoming more certain we have a QB who is not good.  You are never a year away unless you have a good QB, at this point Allen is not good. He's not really showing me anything to think he will be good either, which sucks as a Bills fan.

30 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I'm sorry but the Bills are a top QB away. 

Our current QB is not good enough.

That's still where we're at. 

If Allen doesn't develop into "that guy", this team is a LOT more than a year away.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, QCity said:

If Allen doesn't develop into "that guy", this team is a LOT more than a year away.

At this point there's zero evidence it's going to happen.

He's 29th in the league in QB Rating, our offense can't score, and most of that ranking was propped up by playing a cupcake schedule the first 7 games of the season.

Allen is among the worst starting QBs in the league. Only 1-2 examples of guys over the past 20 years being in that part of the league who went on to be successful franchise QBs. 

47 minutes ago, jrober38 said:

I'm sorry but the Bills are a top QB away. 

Our current QB is not good enough.

That's still where we're at. 

So your saying if the Bills had a different QB then all is well? The Bills have average talent on offense aside from Brown, Beasley, and Singletary. They also have an average at best OC. 

2 minutes ago, BillsfanAZ said:

So your saying if the Bills had a different QB then all is well? The Bills have average talent on offense aside from Brown, Beasley, and Singletary. They also have an average at best OC. 

QB is the most important position in football and our guy isn't even remotely good enough. 

I don't care if it takes 3 or 5 years for this rebuild to bear fruit.  My concern is that the coaching staff is hampering this rebuild and the person most responsible (McD) will not fix it since he is a big part of the problem with his losing play-not-to-lose philosophy.  He wasn't ready to be a HC three years ago, and he's not ready now.

• Like (+1) 1

I disagree with the premise the team is a year away from the playoffs.  

Another year won't fix both the coaching and player inconsistency.  That's on the coaching staff to remedy immediately.  

That being said, that's a very difficult step for a lot of people.  People who have faith in an ideology or process, if you will, are reluctant to make big changes in what got them there.  

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

QB is the most important position in football and our guy isn't even remotely good enough. 

Not sure i completely buy this.  Josh has his issues, but I think the bigger problem is Brian Daboll.  Get rid of Daboll and bring in an OC that will be able to work with Josh as he is NOW, and not with an offense of what you expect him to be two years from now.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Not sure i completely buy this.  Josh has his issues, but I think the bigger problem is Brian Daboll.  Get rid of Daboll and bring in an OC that will be able to work with Josh as he is NOW, and not with an offense of what you expect him to be two years from now.

My history of following the Bills closely for the last 20 years is that everytime people start blaming the offensive coordinator, the QB is always the real problem and is usually replaced within 1-2 years. 

A new offensive coordinator isn't going to make Josh Allen throw more accurately or make better decisions. He might scheme better plays but, but ultimately it's down to whether or not the QB can execute those plays efficiently, and the overwhelming evidence at this point is that he can't.

He wasn't efficient in college.

He wasn't efficient as a rookie.

He hasn't been efficient this year (29th in the NFL in QB Rating). 

The list of QBs who had the light go on after two years on the field in the NFL is practically non existent when going back 20 years. Eli Manning, Drew Brees, maybe Matt Stafford (injured his 2nd season despite playing really well early that year).

That's the list. On the flip side there are dozens of guys who never got any better. 

Edited by jrober38

1 minute ago, jrober38 said:

My history of following the Bills closely for the last 20 years is that everytime people start blaming the offensive coordinator, the QB is always the real problem and is usually replaced within 1-2 years. 

A new offensive coordinator isn't going to make Josh Allen throw more accurately or make better decisions. He might scheme better plays but, but ultimately it's down to whether or not the QB can execute those plays efficiently, and the overwhelming evidence at this point is that he can't.

He wasn't efficient in college.

He wasn't efficient as a rookie.

He hasn't been efficient this year (29th in the NFL in QB Rating). 

in that time, we really haven't had a good OC or QB.  Daboll either needs to go, or be reigned in by McD.  The problem is McD isn't a micromanager, so I think the problem festers until Daboll coordinates himself out of his job.  This is the long, painful way of going about the needed change.

With Allen, this is what, his 20th NFL start?  Mayfield and Darnold, the other two QB comparisons from the 2018 draft, aren't doing much better.  Should they be relegated to backup or out of the league, as well?  Josh is somewhat of a project, that was known.  Daboll isn't helping with his uber complicated offense that shouldn't be run at this point in Josh's career.  It took Brady multiple years before he could run the E-P offense; he couldn't, and did not, do so in 2003 when they won the SB.

9 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Another thing i want to address here about today's game is McDermott made the right decision to kick the FG at the end of the game. Many of you are proclaiming Jauron Ball when in fact McD went for it twice on 4th down earlier in the game and the team FAILED !!

What makes you think he should try for it a third time when on this day against this team they couldn't convert on 4th down and the offense overall was inconsistent?? McDermott needs to be confident they will make it and with the way they were playing he could not make that decision and made the right call by kicking the FG and if it was made we then have a chance in overtime. Hauschka was not good today but normally he is, this game maybe showing he is declining but he was our best choice at the time.

Excellent post.  This team is ahead of schedule if you ask me and at 6-3 exceeding my expectations for the season

• Thank you (+1) 1