This team is still a year away

Talent could have been acquired this past offseason, but the fanbase bought into the narrative that John Brown and Cole Beasley would be enough.

The same fanbase that told me D.K. Metcalf was going to be a bust or 2 years ago, that Deshaun Watson was going to fail because he only threw 49 mph at the combine.  Remember that one?  Go visit the 'trade for Stephon Diggs' thread for a good laugh.

I'm starting to think that Bills fans love mediocrity.

Edited by Chicken Boo
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

They were trying to go for it the players didn't execute so McD had no choice but to kick. Playcalling is not the problem, execution is.

Play calling was the issue on the 3rd and four. only one receiver recognized they were blitzing 7 and the primary didn't recognize it and didn't run a hot route. Very poor play design at that pint of the game...

6 hours ago, Estro said:

This team being a year away is an optimistic viewpoint IMO.  With every passing week, I'm becoming more certain we have a QB who is not good.  You are never a year away unless you have a good QB, at this point Allen is not good. He's not really showing me anything to think he will be good either, which sucks as a Bills fan.

I think Daboll is ruining whatever chance Josh has to develop. You don't throw low percentage deep passes on 3rd/4th and short. McD hired Daboll so this is on Sean. He has to take responsibility for once for this pathetic offense. My faith in Josh has been diminished.  Hopefully somebody or something can turn this around.  Even bad qbs can occassionally hit on a long pass. 0-16 is embarrassing. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

In regards to the FG, people aren’t criticizing the fact that they kicked a FG on 4th down, it’s more the fact that they didn’t really try to score a TD.  There was 1:00 minute left when they crossed the 50.  Rather than trying to go for a score, they seemed ok with settling for a long FG with a shaky kicker like Hauschka who is not very good anymore.  

This is classic Jauron ball.

6 hours ago, Reader said:

I honestly do not get the Jauron comparison. By that logic we should have compared Rex and Gailey because both had good offenses and bad defenses. McD goes for it on 4th a lot and we had plays today that were too aggressive. I guess if McD is intentionally icing leads, which I'm not convinced he is doing, then that is one similarity.

See above.    You don't "get the Jauron comparison" because you either don't remember his tenure with the Bills or you refuse to see what's been in front of your face for 2 and a half seasons.

4 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

They were trying to go for it the players didn't execute so McD had no choice but to kick. Playcalling is not the problem, execution is.

Excuse me, but who picked those players????   When you value "culture" over talent, what you get are "team guys" who aren't good enough to make clutch plays when the chips are down.

To those who get mad at us saying we’re a year away...

A) were not, in terms of playoffs, we will also be disappointed if we don’t make the playoffs this year.  

B) were talking about actually contending..  Imagine this same team with an impact pass rusher, Amari Cooper (or someone like him) and another Singletary type back so we’re not trotting Gore out there.   Would that be something you’re interested in?...  because something like that is extremely possible. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I think Daboll is ruining whatever chance Josh has to develop. You don't throw low percentage deep passes on 3rd/4th and short. McD hired Daboll so this is on Sean. He has to take responsibility for once for this pathetic offense. My faith in Josh has been diminished.  Hopefully somebody or something can turn this around.  Even bad qbs can occassionally hit on a long pass. 0-16 is embarrassing. 

Who the hell hired Daboll?????   When do you ask "Sean" to take responsibility for hiring 2 crappy OCs????

7 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

The first year was the breakdown of the old regime, last year was the first in the rebuild, this is only year two with a very young core. Next year will be the year we get more talent at key positions and will be where we need to be on better, more consistent playing level.

There is a process here and we want it all to go faster but it cant . We have to work with what we have and its going to take time for these players and the next set of players to push this team to the next level

Another thing i want to address here about today's game is McDermott made the right decision to kick the FG at the end of the game. Many of you are proclaiming Jauron Ball when in fact McD went for it twice on 4th down earlier in the game and the team FAILED !!

What makes you think he should try for it a third time when on this day against this team they couldn't convert on 4th down and the offense overall was inconsistent?? McDermott needs to be confident they will make it and with the way they were playing he could not make that decision and made the right call by kicking the FG and if it was made we then have a chance in overtime. Hauschka was not good today but normally he is, this game maybe showing he is declining but he was our best choice at the time.

how long did it take the Rams to turn around post Last regime?  How long Colts?  Only the Bills a rebuild takes 4 years. And three offseasons of picking their Players. 

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

how long did it take the Rams to turn around post Last regime?  How long Colts?  Only the Bills a rebuild takes 4 years. And three offseasons of picking their Players. 

Rams and Colts might not even make the playoffs this year. 

Just now, SoTier said:

Who the hell hired Daboll?????   When do you ask "Sean" to take responsibility for hiring 2 crappy OCs????

Cueball was ranked 32 and 29 as the O coordinator with the browns and then 20th with the Dolphins.

He was ranked 30th last year and is in his typical bottom third so far this year (25th).

Why he is even here is a big question.. and history says we probably won't be better than the 25th offense with him here.  

Horrible O coordinator choice for this team.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Rams and Colts might not even make the playoffs this year. 

Where did rams go first year post last regime?  How have the colts done with Reich and ooo yeah your starting QB retiring in August should have distracted a team?  What QB are Colts on now? And with them are how many games behind a very healthy team playing an easy schedule?  Only in Buffalo does a rebuild take decades 

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

This should end the thread. The OP has been stated for the past two decades with Bills football. It's ridiculous. 

Maybe the OP states it all the time, but he isn’t wrong.  

Y’all are being extremely short-sighted after a loss.

Beane/McDermott haven’t been here the entire time we’ve been miserable.   Their plan was to create a sustainable contender.  Year 1 made the playoffs and tore it down because that wasn’t a contending team..  Year 2 sucked, but was part 1 of the 2 part rebuild.   Next year - We can very easily add a DE/WR/RB to this same exact team....

Do you really not like the future of this team if we keep this team in tact and add an impact pass rusher, a legit WR opposite Brown and another impact RB to rotate in with Singletary? 

5 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Where did rams go first year post last regime?  How have the colts done with Reich and ooo yeah your starting QB retiring in August should have distracted a team?  What QB are Colts on now? And with them are how many games behind a very healthy team playing an easy schedule?  Only in Buffalo does a rebuild take decades 

From day one Beane said he wanted to build something.  That they weren’t happy being a random playoff team and then not competing again the next year.  

You gave two teams to bolster your point... both might not be in the playoffs this year, especially the Rams, who are in serious trouble. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

Beane/McDermott haven’t been here the entire time we’ve been miserable.   Their plan was to create a sustainable contender.  Year 1 made the playoffs and tore it down because that wasn’t a contending team..  Year 2 sucked, but was part 1 of the 2 part rebuild.   Next year - We can very easily add a DE/WR/RB to this same exact team....

Do you really not like the future of this team if we keep this team in tact and add an impact pass rusher, a legit WR opposite Brown and another impact RB to rotate in with Singletary? 

so the win now and future stuff is a lie then too. Got it. next year next year next year while the real drought continues no playoff win in over two decades. 

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

From day one Beane said he wanted to build something.  That they weren’t happy being a random playoff team and then not competing again the next year.  

You gave two teams to bolster your point... both might not be in the playoffs this year, especially the Rams, who are in serious trouble. 

Beane Does what McD wants. I have no faith in McD. After being out coached by the worst coach in the NFL. I think Beane could be a solid GM and glad he is not tied to McD so I think he survives a McConservative Firing 

18 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Sorry I don't buy it. I've heard his SO many times in the past after the team had a fast start to a season only to fall on its ass the rest of the way. "Well it really wasn't about this year". 

A lot of things with this regime are starting to  rear its ugly head. McDermotts style of coaching not to lose is pathetic and will get them no where, the QB they hand picked 20 plus starts in still has some serious issues, after 3 years the offense STILL sucks, they don't seem value to the skills position, they haven't had really any serious homeruns with their draft picks, the rebuilt defense still has their issues.

If they lose to Miami, how does anyone continue to believe in this group? 

“If” they lose to Miami, you’ll have a point lol..  I mean, you can’t make arguments based on an assumption we are going to all of a sudden fall apart.  If we do, you can freely complain without as much pushback.