McDermott on no trades: "There have been too many years of irresponsible decision-making, let's just put it that way."

YoloinOhio

7 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

Absolutely. In fact, everything is going as I expected. I have nailed every Bills game thus far.

The offense is performing pretty much exactly how I thought it would. Solid run game, below average passing. Ball control type offense. Young QB. New offensive line. No real playmakers. Grinding out wins. 5-2. Soon to be 6-2. And feeling GREAT about it all.

That sounds like an answer to the question "is the team performing to expectations according to the level of talent I see on the field"?

The question I believe Mango was asking was "is the team performing to expectations given the level of draft pick and FA investment made in the past 3 years?"  That would include players who were drafted high or traded for with high draft picks who are no longer on the team. 

It's fair to correct his initial list of draft picks, but then you didn't address the question behind it

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I didn’t think much of Sanders (especially for what was given up) but he indeed has looked good. On the broadcast they attributed it to him apparently already knowing the offense. I’m not sure if shanny jr’s Offense is the same as kubiaks because he is s shanny Sr disciple? Must be.  But elway is always going to take the NFC trade partner there vs the team he plays in a few weeks. I would have liked to have drake (especially for what was given up) but that was never happening. 

It's a fair point that the teams in question were not necessarily going to trade with us

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I don't think Josh Allen would be considered a "slightly better than average starting QB".  I love the guy, and we knew he was a project when we drafted him, but he's got miles to go.

Where did you hear the tidbit about Singletary having fumbling issues in practice?

OK, I'm out of here.  You ask something that has its nitpicky aspect, and when it's answered fully "oh that's nitpicking"

If and when we see the Bills having the #2 offense on points I'll be delighted to do the experiment as to whether or not people complain.

You nitpicker you.  Good post btw

I said IF he was having fumbling issues in practice. It’s either fumbling or blocking because if both of those are fine and he can’t beat out a 36 yo RB for the starting job thanks he’s in trouble.

23 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I've never loved a poster more than @SoTier. I cannot believe he is a real person. It is amazing. 

Why?  Maybe some posters get a little bit over the top since we are 5-2 but we do this a lot. I did this a lot.  Attack someone for wanting more from the Bills. We are all Bills fans and just want a great team finally.  But some of you love to attack posters for having the gall not to praise everything this regime does.  

And if McDermott is going to throw stones, he should also be ready to have them thrown back at him. The offense under him has been from a different era.  Again, bottom line is we are 5-2.  But it does seem like a very soft 5-2 and we have our highest drafted qb ever be completely babied because it seems like they are scared to let him just play. Time will show if it’s the right move but it’s ok to have questions about it.

9 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

'The second highest paid center' is pretty funny. 

'How are they not a top offense when they have the SECOND HIGHEST PAID CENTER!'   lmao come on bro

The Bills are the 19th in offensive YPG, just fyi. That's a little under average. Keep thinking the sky is falling.

This sums up the Bills for the last 20 years!  Relax fans! We are only slightly under average! ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Why?  Maybe some posters get a little bit over the top since we are 5-2 but we do this a lot. I did this a lot.  Attack someone for wanting more from the Bills. We are all Bills fans and just want a great team finally.  But some of you love to attack posters for having the gall not to praise everything this regime does.  

And if McDermott is going to throw stones, he should also be ready to have them thrown back at him. The offense under him has been from a different era.  Again, bottom line is we are 5-2.  But it does seem like a very soft 5-2 and we have our highest drafted qb ever be completely babied because it seems like they are scared to let him just play. Time will show if it’s the right move but it’s ok to have questions about it.

This sums up the Bills for the last 20 years!  Relax fans! We are only slightly under average! ?

...just curious Biscuit about you "offense" comment.......is it McD holding back the offense (and Daboll), preferring a conservative mode and letting the defense dictate the game or is it Daboll's unfettered play calling that is creating this offense conundrum?......just askin'......

2 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...just curious Biscuit about you "offense" comment.......is it McD holding back the offense (and Daboll), preferring a conservative mode and letting the defense dictate the game or is it Daboll's unfettered play calling that is creating this offense conundrum?......just askin'......

Great question AFL.  Personally, I think Daboll was a very uninspiring hire.  He has been a bad nfl OC.  Jalen Hurts, who people argued was holding him back at Bama, is a Heisman candidate this year.  Nevermind the fact he went to St. Francis! ?

that said, I’m sure he would like to throw more but I’m sure having a conservative coach like McDermott limits that.  They don’t fully trust Allen yet and have a good defense and can win most games if they don’t make mistakes.  I guess as Bills fans we shouldn’t get greedy and just want to have a team that wins more than loses.  But honestly, I have no way to say if Allen is a franchise guy yet.  IMO, this goes 2 ways. Either Allen Learns to win as a game manager like Brady, Wilson, and Big Ben. Or he is not a good qb carried by a really good defense a la Sanchez, Bortles, and Mitchell T.  It’s hard to say either way at this point.  I’d love to see him have a complete game very soon though. JMO. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Great question AFL.  Personally, I think Daboll was a very uninspiring hire.  He has been a bad nfl OC.  Jalen Hurts, who people argued was holding him back at Bama, is a Heisman candidate this year.  Nevermind the fact he went to St. Francis! ?

that said, I’m sure he would like to throw more but I’m sure having a conservative coach like McDermott limits that.  They don’t fully trust Allen yet and have a good defense and can win most games if they don’t make mistakes.  I guess as Bills fans we shouldn’t get greedy and just want to have a team that wins more than loses.  But honestly, I have no way to say if Allen is a franchise guy yet.  IMO, this goes 2 ways. Either Allen Learns to win as a game manager like Brady, Wilson, and Big Ben. Or he is not a good qb carried by a really good defense a la Sanchez, Bortles, and Mitchell T.  It’s hard to say either way at this point.  I’d love to see him have a complete game very soon though. JMO. 

...nicely done bud......at some point a decision needs to be made about trusting Allen PERIOD.....minimalist offense thinking hoping the defense carries the day is Dopey Dickie Jauron Ball and the potential for Wikileaks 200 yd rushing gashings......if, IF Daboll is the innovative, creative OC some think he is, do we get to the point with Allen that it's "no guts....no glory....no bawls....no blue chips" and devise a "show me" offense?......I'd rather go down in a blaze of glory versus this highly predictable mantra and playing "Jauron Ball"...it may work for some games, but if you're looking for advancement in the playoffs (after making them FIRST), I don't see it....what say you bro?....

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

Don’t you think it is a combo of four things 1) conservative team approach by McD 2) Daboll’s odd play calling 3) not enough talent yet an many positions  4) a QB still learning

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I have no problem being critical.  But criticism should be based in some form of reality.

48 minutes ago, Locomark said:

Don’t you think it is a combo of four things 1) conservative team approach by McD 2) Daboll’s odd play calling 3) not enough talent yet an many positions  4) a QB still learning

..agree on all accounts...nicely done bud.....:thumbsup:

32 minutes ago, Commsvet11 said:

Which parts of the discussion is fantasy?

As for the poster to whom  I referred, that Terry and Ralph are the same.  That the 2001 Bills are the same as the 2019 Bills.  That Brandon has anything to do with today’s team.  And so on.

4 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

As for the poster to whom  I referred, that Terry and Ralph are the same.  That the 2001 Bills are the same as the 2019 Bills.  That Brandon has anything to do with today’s team.  And so on.

Both owners relied on Russ Brandon, and put him positions of power, not too far of a stretch actually. In fact had he kept his hands to himself, he would still be employed, his firing had nothing to do with his job performance. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Commsvet11 said:

Both owners relied on Russ Brandon, and put him positions of power, not too far of a stretch actually. In fact had he kept his hands to himself, he would still be employed, his firing had nothing to do with his job performance. 

Not to sidetrack bu Brandon was put in charge of PSE.  He thus was not making player decisions.  Harping on that is tired by now.

Just now, Commsvet11 said:

So you say.

So everyone in the organization said.  Old news.  SoTier wants to keep saying the Bills have not changed for 20 years, that all Terry wants is money so they don’t pay for FAs etc. Please tell me you understand that we have new owners, coaches, GM etc, etc.

8 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That sounds like an answer to the question "is the team performing to expectations according to the level of talent I see on the field"?

The question I believe Mango was asking was "is the team performing to expectations given the level of draft pick and FA investment made in the past 3 years?"  That would include players who were drafted high or traded for with high draft picks who are no longer on the team. 

It's fair to correct his initial list of draft picks, but then you didn't address the question behind it

The better players are on the defensive side of the ball, no question about it. They've spent a lot more draft capital on the defense and I think that's clear...which is why his first-round pick# needed to be clarified. It's the difference between a 50/50 or 75/25 split on allocating the most valuable draft resources, which is what they've done. Free agency, draft, everything has been done to prioritize the defensive rebuild and it's worked. They are going to proceed with the offense this off-season. I am completely ok with both their priorities and the resultant quality vis a vis offensive/defensive statistics. I think both units are performing right at where their respective levels of talent suggest they should.

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

So everyone in the organization said.  Old news.  SoTier wants to keep saying the Bills have not changed for 20 years, that all Terry wants is money so they don’t pay for FAs etc. Please tell me you understand that we have new owners, coaches, GM etc, etc.

Yes we have had a couple of GMs and coaches under Pegula, so tell me what has changed? I saw 3 coaches all have had  similar records during their tenure here. When you hire a mediocre head coach, you get mediocre team, which from a business standpoint is fantastic, you can sell hope for next season. 

By the way “The process” is a marketing gimmick, can you tell me who was the president of PSE when Sean was hired?  You don’t think Brandon wasn’t all over that idea? That Brandon has no influence on that hire? 

1 minute ago, Commsvet11 said:

Yes we have had a couple of GMs and coaches under Pegula, so tell me what has changed? I saw 3 coaches all have had  similar records during their tenure here. When you hire a mediocre head coach, you get mediocre team, which from a business standpoint is fantastic, you can sell hope for next season. 

By the way “The process” is a marketing gimmick, can you tell me who was the president of PSE when Sean was hired?  You don’t think Brandon wasn’t all over that idea? That Brandon has no influence on that hire? 

So you believe that Pegula bought the team to be mediocre and make money?