McDermott on no trades: "There have been too many years of irresponsible decision-making, let's just put it that way."

YoloinOhio

1 hour ago, GoBills808 said:

Quickly- which team has had, up until this point, the more productive passing offense: the 8-0 49ers or the 5-2 Bills? 

I GAF which team has had, up until this point, the more productive POINT PRODUCING offense and YARD PRODUCING offense which is usually, but not always, correlated to points.

So back atcha: Quickly which team has had, up until this point, the more productive offense on points, the the 8-0 49ers or the 5-2 Bills?

OK, maybe you're one of those "but YARDS are the real metric" types, let's do yards?

I am not arguing about effective passing offense but about overall offensive effectiveness and I think that is very clear from the post to which you are responding.

When the Bills have the #2 offense in the league for scoring points, just FTR I won't GAF whether they score 'em by running or passing.  In fact I'd be "all in" with a good ground-n-pound ball hogging rushing attack.  Having a run-heavy offense with a reliable rushing game is a proven strategy for developing a young QB.  The Patriots did it with Brady, all the way to the Superbowl his 2nd year.  The Seasnakes did it with Wilson his first couple years - all the way to the Superbowl his 2nd year.

• Thank you (+1) 1

It is one thing to not want to make a trade and give up picks, it is another to not pick up a WR off waivers.  The fact the Bills did not go after Josh Gordon just shows the front office and coach are not the types that will ever win a World Championships.  What an opportunity to take a PATRIOT and stick it to the Patriots.  Total failure.

1 minute ago, FUTURIST said:

It is one thing to not want to make a trade and give up picks, it is another to not pick up a WR off waivers.  The fact the Bills did not go after Josh Gordon just shows the front office and coach are not the types that will ever win a World Championships.  What an opportunity to take a PATRIOT and stick it to the Patriots.  Total failure.

I would have liked to see the Bills take a shot at him.  After all, they took a shot at Corey Coleman, how much worse could it be?

But to look at it from another perspective, Daboll may still be fairly plugged in to friends in the Pats coaching assistant staff.  It is possible that they shied off due to gouge about Gordon from that staff.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, FUTURIST said:

The dude's a drug addict, alcoholic and if Billy Boy is cutting him, there's a reason.

5 hours ago, ScottLaw said:

And? These are merely excuses.

Did you watch the game last night? Arizona has a 1st QB, HC, and offense and are better offensively in just about every category then Buffalo. 

...so assuming Kliff is calling the plays, compare him to Daboll as another potential factor....what say you?.............

5 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

He drafted his QB last year . . . 

It isn't like he walked in thinking the QB situation was all set. But hey, you think he should have started sooner, that is fine.  

But, don't pretend the rebuild started three years ago. For this team, it started last year when they drafted Allen. 

He drafted him and then let him sink without a bonafide QB coach and non-NFL caliber OL and receivers.   What's the point of drafting a QB if you're going to do that???  It's either because you're too stupid to know better or you don't care because you drafted a first round QB to placate fans not to win football games.  The handling of the QB situation last season was totally and inexcusably incompetent -- or grossly self-serving.  Three of the young backup QBs who have taken over for starters this season --  Gardner Minshew, Kyle Allen, and Mason Rudolph  -- are playing better than Allen right now.  Do they have more talent?  No, but they've sure had better coaching than Josh Allen has had.

PS -- DON'T even try to whine about how they salary cap hampered them in getting talent last season.  First of all, the salary cap problems were of their -- McDermott and Beane's -- own making in their single-minded purging of the top players from the previous regime.  Secondly, coaches aren't subject to a salary cap. 

4 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

If he keeps playing like he is he will be getting the Trubiski treatment sooner rather than later. 

I don't think so.  If Allen doesn't improve, they'll make more excuses for him and claim he needs "more time" because he's "raw".  If Allen is a bust, Beane and McDermott are probably gone sooner than later.

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

I think there is no way they let Tre go and play on a 5th year option.  They will extend his contract next year and use next year (last of rookie contract)

to ease the signing bonus.

I see a good chance the same happening to Poyer.

As for Milano he is on his last year of his rookie contract next year.

LOL.  It is currently at 2.5 seasons since they took over.  Where in the heck are you getting 7 years from!

Exaggerate much?

Time will tell but I expect some big FA signings along with another decent draft.

Next March will be the START of year 4.

I guess you are in favor of Pegula cleaning house after this season?

If so, who is your hopeful GM/HC signings?

I will believe that the Bills will keep Tre White when he actually re-signs a new contract with the Bills.  The Bills have never re-signed a top DB that they've developed.  They've only re-signed the mediocre ones like  Leodis McKelvin. 

Edited by SoTier

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I GAF which team has had, up until this point, the more productive POINT PRODUCING offense and YARD PRODUCING offense which is usually, but not always, correlated to points.

So back atcha: Quickly which team has had, up until this point, the more productive offense on points, the the 8-0 49ers or the 5-2 Bills?

OK, maybe you're one of those "but YARDS are the real metric" types, let's do yards?

I am not arguing about effective passing offense but about overall offensive effectiveness and I think that is very clear from the post to which you are responding.

When the Bills have the #2 offense in the league for scoring points, just FTR I won't GAF whether they score 'em by running or passing.  In fact I'd be "all in" with a good ground-n-pound ball hogging rushing attack.  Having a run-heavy offense with a reliable rushing game is a proven strategy for developing a young QB.  The Patriots did it with Brady, all the way to the Superbowl his 2nd year.  The Seasnakes did it with Wilson his first couple years - all the way to the Superbowl his 2nd year.

It's just nitpicking imo. There are always going to be stronger and weaker parts of a team. When the Bills have the #2 offense in points there will be people complaining about how the defense is allowing too many. 

We've scored enough thus far to be 5-2. And guess what? At some point this season we aren't going to score enough points and the season will be over. Until then, I see no reason to fuss over a team that has performed pretty much exactly how I expected it to thus far. 

5 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

McDermott has a plan, and its frankly an obvious one: rebuild defense, then rebuild offense. We are in year two with our developmental QB.  Be critical of the plan, I get it. But if you expect the offense to be that much better at the half way point with that much turnover, than that is on you. 

Rebuilding the defense has been exposed as a flawed strategy, particularly these last 2 games.  Buffalo puts on the field 3 1st round picks, multiple moderate to high priced UFAs, and some value type players and still gives up 52 points in the past 2 games.  The best teams are focusing on offense while having a good enough defense, but McD bucked that trend.    

Not surprisingly, we're now hearing from the HC and fans this narrative how the offensive turnover is to blame for their lack of production.  No one talks about how the same OC has been here for a 2nd season with the starting QB.  Nor do they talk about why the offensive turnover was necessary...because last year's Bills offense flirted with being among the league's worst since passing rules were changed in 1978.  Of course they had to improve  the OL, WR, TE, and RB positions this off-season.  

The more I see him, the more McDermott comes off as a latter day Dick Jauron.  No feel for offense, unable to hire a decent OC, and choosing to go with player who buy into his system than better talent that may not.  I see McD as the guy who always is planning and trying to be in control.  But then the proverbial bullets start going overhead and he's not adjusting.  The guy works his tail off, but sweat doesn't count in this league without results. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Mango said:

Like I said: 
It isn't because they have ignored that side of the ball, it is because they have not done a great job of identifying talent on that side of the ball.   2 firsts, 3 seconds, 2 thirds, and the 2nd highest paid center should be better than bottom of the barrel. 

2 firsts?

56 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I will believe that the Bills will keep Tre White when he actually re-signs a new contract with the Bills.  The Bills have never re-signed a top DB that they've developed.  They've only re-signed the mediocre ones like  Leodis McKelvin. 

Which is why I said it will tell us a lot about what Beane/McDermott are all about.

• Like (+1) 2

35 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

Which is why I said it will tell us a lot about what Beane/McDermott are all about.

This trend of not keeping top db's has to stop with White. White has become one of their own, and his contribution to this Bills team is immense. I don't always buy in to the "You can find Db's anywhere" bs! How does this reflect on the culture that the Bills are creating.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No but McDermott is--and Woods, Gilmore, Watkins, McCoy, Glenn were all on the roster when. he got here.....

So? Woods left as a FA, his right. Watkins and Glenn still hurt. McCoy nearly benched, Gilmore's the only one you MAY have a case for but he didn't want to be here.

So, he cut or traded overpaid, underperforming players. That's a good thing.

7 minutes ago, Joe in Winslow said:

So? Woods left as a FA, his right. Watkins and Glenn still hurt. McCoy nearly benched, Gilmore's the only one you MAY have a case for but he didn't want to be here.

So, he cut or traded overpaid, underperforming players. That's a good thing.

The main point was that “Brandon” had nothing to with any of those moves.

But to your point,  FAs are not mandated to exercise their “right” to live on.  They will usually stay for the right price.  No one anywhere has suggested Woods was underperforming.  Gilmore could have been convinced to stay for a new motivated defensive minded coach for a price.  

Also,  all of these guys are gone and the best WR on the team is John Brown,  the best RB (by far) is 36 yo Frank Gore.  At CB they have Tre and.....pretty much no one significant. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

No but McDermott is--and Woods, Gilmore, Watkins, McCoy, Glenn were all on the roster when. he got here.....

See Joe’s response above.  I still would like Sammy.  But Woods wanted to be back in Cali and Gilmore has a shot to play for Belichick.

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

see my response above

I mentioned that Brandon is no longer an employee because SoTier is like a dog with a chew toy trying to lump him in with the current regime, just like he lumps Ralph and Terry together for some bizarre reason.  McD and Beane are setting the team up the way they see fit.  We’ll see if they’re right.