Joe B. All-22 Review of Bills-Eagles : Star was best Bills player on the front 7

YoloinOhio

Maybe Star played OK but to give him credit for yards per carry when he is on the field is a stretch.  11 guys out there.  Especially if you are pulling out the 65 yard run.  Getting pretty careless with the data, why not just build some graphs to make your point Joe B.

Joe B also did not mention Star spinning like a top and running the wrong way to open up a lane for Wentz on 3rd and 5 from deep inside their territory.  That play irked me because everyone else stayed home.  It was just one play but a big one.  

Edited by buffalostu2
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

I didn’t watch the film but there weren’t many yards given up through the air. They used a few different guys vs the WRs and TEs and moved White around which they don’t normally do. Wallace is currently 9th in the league in targets because teams avoid targeting White. He’s allowing a 60% completion rate so definitely holding his own. For comparison Darius slay 58% , Chris Harris 58%  AJ bouye 59% and White 57%.

Define "through the air?"

Realistically, the Eagles beat the Bills with the pass, even though the longest completion was the 38-yarder to Jeffery

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Passing yards

This is one of those games where the stats are misleading.  Eagles got 100 rushing yards from one run and 35 from Wentz's scrambles (ie passing downs).   Bills could not defend Eagles' passing game where they picked up the key 1st downs to put the game away.

11 minutes ago, GG said:

This is one of those games where the stats are misleading.  Eagles got 100 rushing yards from one run and 35 from Wentz's scrambles (ie passing downs).   Bills could not defend Eagles' passing game where they picked up the key 1st downs to put the game away.

Agreed. Aside from the first drive that ended with an Eagles FG, I felt like the Bills couldn't stop the Eagles passing game when the Eagles needed to make a play. 

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Allen also not securing the ball well enough caused the fumble.  He's got to take care of the ball better...he's got I think 8 fumbles this year.

The ball was ripped out of his hands which is more on him than anything.  

Just another reason he should calm down a little with the QB run play calls IMO. I just think that play is called way too much when you have Gore getting positive yards on a pretty much consistent basis and the rookie also for that matter.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah, not so much.

"When Lotulelei wasn’t in the game, the Bills allowed 5.09 yards per carry to Eagles running backs. With Lotulelei in the game, if you take out the 65-yard run by the Eagles that wasn’t primarily his fault, the Bills were allowing just 3.15 yards per carry. And, if the Bills linebackers do their job differently on the second level, Sanders likely runs for just a 6-yard gain, which would bring the average to 3.29 yards per carry.

"Lotulelei even helped create a sack for Shaq Lawson early in the first half, and then later took on the double team to enable Jordan Phillips to get a sack. I focused all of my video efforts on Lotulelei to drive home the point: He wasn’t the problem on Sunday; he was a strength."

So I did my review today on a plan ride home. Don't agree that he was a strength but he did come about balance neutral on Sunday - which is better than I'd have graded him on the broadcast angle. What I said during the game was the main problem - linebacker gap discipline and particularly Edmunds's gap discipline showed up even more starkly on the all22. The linebackers were awful. Oh and Peko is not an NFL talent. His time here should come to a quick end. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

So I did my review today on a plan ride home. Don't agree that he was a strength but he did come about balance neutral on Sunday - which is better than I'd have graded him on the broadcast angle. What I said during the game was the main problem - linebacker gap discipline and particularly Edmunds's gap discipline showed up even more starkly on the all22. The linebackers were awful. Oh and Peko is not an NFL talent. His time here should come to a quick end. 

Maybe it’s semantics but this review did not conclude that he was a “strength” per se, either. It said that he was the best of the front 7 and basically did his job, meaning the other 6 did not do their jobs as well as he did. When I hear strength I think of someone who is giving you an advantage against the opponent and I didn’t think it really went that far. The crux of it seemed to be that the belief going in was that the poor performance against the run could be traced back to a poor performance by Star, and the film review showed otherwise.  

Lotulelei was an impact run defender while the rest of the defensive line and linebackers around him were lacking. He held his ground, took on double teams and set the table for his teammates at a high level. Lotulelei was the best player the Bills had on Sunday in the front seven, and it wasn’t particularly close.

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Agree, a change has to be made up front. Hopefully they will make that move by Friday. He is clearly a liability.

16 hours ago, Limeaid said:

Cancel your subscription to The Athletic if it does not match your mindset.

So Joe B's All 22 the past several weeks where he pointed out (with examples) of  Star's lame play and being outplayed by Harrison Phillips, is now suddenly reversed? And after a game where the middle defense gave up 200-plus yards on the ground. I don't buy it.

1 minute ago, Green Lightning said:

So Joe B's All 22 the past several weeks where he pointed out (with examples) of  Star's lame play and being outplayed by Harrison Phillips, is now suddenly reversed? And after a game where the middle defense gave up 200-plus yards on the ground. I don't buy it.

Again - if you read it, he was surprised that he wasn’t the problem THIS TIME.  It wasn’t a “reversal” of what he had called about his play from previous weeks. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Again - if you read it, he was surprised that he wasn’t the problem THIS TIME.  It wasn’t a “reversal” of what he had called about his play from previous weeks. 

That's true but this board is using the Athletic piece as proof Star is a "space-eater" doing a fine job.

2 hours ago, GG said:

That's my main beef with Joe B's analysis.  Star does not have up and down games where he dominates in one game and then lays down in another where he gets an A- for Eagles and a F for Dolphins.  He's consistently average/below average game in game out.   

I also don't see that much of a drop off in DL play when Peko is subbed in for him, so the narrative that Star is a key cog of the DL, while Peko isn't practice squad-worthy also flies out the window.

No, your beef with the analysis is that it doesn’t match your very limited understanding of what you’re observing on Sundays. I already laid this out in the other thread, why are you doubling down?

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

No, your beef with the analysis is that it doesn’t match your very limited understanding of what you’re observing on Sundays. I already laid this out in the other thread, why are you doubling down?

There is no way he read the article given that post 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GoBills808 said:

You provided detailed playcall explanations of what an average 1Tech DT is supposed to do, which describes Star to a tee.  You've skirted the issue that the marquee FA signing last year and the 2nd highest paid defender should do more than occupy space.  BTW, there were plenty of instances of OLs blowing up Bills' LBs on Sunday.  Aren't the LBs supposed to stay clean in this scheme?

Nor have you explained exactly how Peko's play is that much worse than Star's. 

1 minute ago, YoloinOhio said:

There is no way he read the article given that post 

Says the guys who admits he doesn't watch the replay or the All-22.

2 hours ago, GG said:

That's my main beef with Joe B's analysis.  Star does not have up and down games where he dominates in one game and then lays down in another where he gets an A- for Eagles and a F for Dolphins.  He's consistently average/below average game in game out.   

I also don't see that much of a drop off in DL play when Peko is subbed in for him, so the narrative that Star is a key cog of the DL, while Peko isn't practice squad-worthy also flies out the window.

He didn’t get an F vs the Dolphins. He got a C+. Which is average. Once again, he was SUPRISED he played “well” this week. And the fact you didn’t see much of a drop off with Peko is a fine opinion — that didn’t match up with his review. Your “beef” is that his review doesn’t support your opinion from watching the game. 

3 minutes ago, GG said:

You provided detailed playcall explanations of what an average 1Tech DT is supposed to do, which describes Star to a tee.  You've skirted the issue that the marquee FA signing last year and the 2nd highest paid defender should do more than occupy space.  BTW, there were plenty of instances of OLs blowing up Bills' LBs on Sunday.  Aren't the LBs supposed to stay clean in this scheme?

Nor have you explained exactly how Peko's play is that much worse than Star's. 

Says the guys who admits he doesn't watch the replay or the All-22.

Why is this bothering you so much?  

You're not willing to accept that your analysis isn't 100% correct and there is no way you can be wrong.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1