Is Tremaine Edmunds the answer at MLB?

KOKO NFL

16 minutes ago, WideRightRevenge said:

To quote the infamous Aaron Rodgers ... R-E-L-A-X ... rated 12th among 70 linebacker .. I'll take it.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-rankings-top-25-second-year-nfl-players-week-7-2019

8. LB Tremaine Edmunds, Buffalo Bills

At the time that Edmunds was drafted, he was just 19 years old. That youth and inexperience showed early in his career, as he stumbled out of the gate with a 47.0 overall grade across his first eight career games. As the season progressed, though, his athleticism and playmaking ability in the middle of the Buffalo defense began to make it apparent that improvement was on the way. Edmunds did, in fact, improve his grade to 70.5 over the second half of the season, and he has carried over that improved play into 2019. His overall grade of 71.1 this season ranks 12th among 70 linebackers with 175 or more defensive snaps, anchoring one of the better defenses in the league.

and for those Vander Esch Lovers

Lastly, Vander Esch has recorded a run-defense grade of 44.4 this season while allowing 243 receiving yards as the primary coverage defender.

So depending on the day, PFF is either garbage or gospel, depending on what point someone is trying to make?

• Like (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

So depending on the day, PFF is either garbage or gospel, depending on what point someone is trying to make?

Agreed it can argued depending on the point .. but at the end of the day ... It's basically number crunching ... at least there's a relevancy to actual football based data.

14 hours ago, Rigotz said:

Ed Oliver is 21 years old and basically learning a new position.

Tremaine Edmunds is 21 years old and already running the defense.

I can't believe you're giving up on these guys already. Quitters will be quitters though.

Patriots bandwagon is still open, buddy.

This is one of the most asinine takes in the galaxy.  We're fans, we react; that's our job.  I was a Bills fan before your ass was in diapers.  Crap play needs to be called crap play.  If you don't have concerns about both players then my hot take would be that you don't understand the ***** game.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

The “he’s so young” crap was used by many poster for years, defending one Marcel Dareus...until they shipped his overweight and unmotivated a$$ out of here. 

That was not an excuse for his play, but his off-field behavior.  That's what got him traded.

There was never a question of Dareus learning on the job.  Also note that the worst defensive run outings by a McDermott team have all come after the Dareus trade

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GG said:

That was not an excuse for his play, but his off-field behavior.  That's what got him traded.

There was never a question of Dareus learning on the job.  Also note that the worst defensive run outings by a McDermott team have all come after the Dareus trade

No.   A lot of the excuses were used(he’s so young) after his bank account became very big.  One good year and then he became a content fat cat. 

1 minute ago, LabattBlue said:

No.   A lot of the excuses were used(he’s so young) after his bank account became very big.  One good year and then he became a content fat cat. 

That's not the same as excusing bad play because he was young and was still learning the position.  

At a certain point, that argument gets tired for a guy who's started 22 games.

7 minutes ago, GG said:

That's not the same as excusing bad play because he was young and was still learning the position.  

At a certain point, that argument gets tired for a guy who's started 22 games.

Only time will tell.   I may end up being completely wrong, but I feel that any chance he has at being an above average player will be at OLB. 

I’ll move on now. 

8 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Only time will tell.   I may end up being completely wrong, but I feel that any chance he has at being an above average player will be at OLB. 

I’ll move on now. 

I think that's point.  Most criticism is about the miscasting of his role.  It's becoming clearer that Bills will be better served with a more traditional MLB and kicking Edmunds outside.

I wonder if Beane still trades Ragland away of Edmunds was already on the roster?

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Capco said:

Imo, there are two things that are hallmarks of NFL middle libebackers:

1.  Instincts

2.  Edginess 

When I watch Edmunds, I do not see an instinctual linebacker that plays with an edge.  I'm not sure how you grow into either of those things, but otherwise the talent is undeniable.  

This^ has always been my impression of Edmunds. He picks the wrong gap to attack quite often. Gets tied up with blockers too easily. The plays he makes are typically to the outside. Is he better suited as an OLB? 

Nobody is the answer anywhere, OP. They should all just probably be replaced by CFL guys. Just for losing this one game here, they need to be fired! FIRED I TELL YOUSE!

They'll be fine. Edmunds will be fine. It's still a young team coming together and learning how to win. These types of questions after one loss are just ridiculous. If you think one loss is going to dramatically change things to the point where they decide their first round MLB isn't the guy then you're gonna be disappointed when things carry on as usual. They had a rough game but this is a resilient team and I'm sure they were dying to get in there today and start fixing things. 

16 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

Edmunds was consistently bad against the run today. He flashed on one play. Outside of that, he was consistently catching blocks and  trailing plays. Teams are running right at him, and he isn't stopping anyone in their tracks. 

Why does he play so close to the LOS? I'd like to see them back him up a yard and allow his speed to make up for his lack of physicality.

I think his worst play was when he had his back to the QB and the QB ran right by him for a first down.

1 hour ago, GG said:

I think that's point.  Most criticism is about the miscasting of his role.  It's becoming clearer that Bills will be better served with a more traditional MLB and kicking Edmunds outside.

I wonder if Beane still trades Ragland away of Edmunds was already on the roster?

Edmunds belongs outside. He is definately miscast as a MLB. I did not want to believe it for quite awhile. Time to get a true MLB. Devin White would have been nice.

9 hours ago, GreggTX said:

Allen and Edmunds are just good enough to hold us back for a few years because they were 1st rounders that we spent a lot of capital on. This regime will sink with them rather than let them go. Their situation is similar to Tannehill's when he was a fish. He played just well enough to stick around, but kept the team from being a serious threat. It's starting to look like Oliver could fit the same mold. Beane just can't get those 1st round picks right and that spells disaster for a GM. You've got to get those high picks right.

Oliver will be ok. Edmunds needs to go outside. The Bills obviously need a DE, MLB and DT. McDermott is a great coach and he tries to get the most out of what he has. The overall talent is still lacking.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, KOKO NFL said:

I've heard all the talk that our second year MLB is a physical freak with size and speed. My eyes, however, tell me he's not tough or instinctive enough to be a good MLB, let alone a great one. IMO Beane and McDermott need to take a serious look at this position in the off season and upgrade. Perhaps Edmonds is better suited for OLB? Fans can speculate but only the coaching staff can make an educated guess. So... is Tremaine Edmunds the answer at MLB?

Outside he should go...it is too obvious now.