Rational Thoughts Day After Dolphins Game

corta765

1 hour ago, corta765 said:

At this point it’s the whole picture not today. He’s absolutely improved and his standard of play is sustainable when they can win regularly with great defense. But at some point the defense won’t always be great and you want him to take the next step. I believe he can, but he has yet to have a breakout game to that level. Like I said it’s not bad to want more out of the QB spot and considering what other QBs did against the Dolphins defense it absolutely feels a little deflating to not see Allen do that.

When looking at what the league and the QB position has become, you expect more because the bar has been raised for what QBs are doing. The Bills need the Defence to be great in order to have a chance to win a game. If they are not, there's no way they will win a shoot out game against the better teams. This was the game we should have seen that and we didn't, we saw more of the same and try to justify it by trying to make the Dolphins out to be a better team then they are and more motivated. Coming off a bye, they had 2 weeks to prepare for them and they had to squeak out a win.

The bar seems to keep getting lowered for Allen around here to try and speed up his greatness. It's a great game cause he didn't throw an INT. He had a 4th quarter comeback (because the offence couldn't do anything in the previous 3 quarters). All that matter is they won the game. Some of this stuff was being said when Taylor was here and everyone would bash those who said it because he wasn't putting up better stats.

• Like (+1) 1

I see people making statements that we had good adjustments after halftime.... did we?

On Offense, absolutely.  We only had 3 drives, but we accomplished exactly what we wanted to in all 3 of them. 

On Defense, Tre bailed us out forcing 2 turnovers.  If Miami scores to go up 8 or 12, while burning away 70% of the 3rd quarter, I doubt we're singing their halftime adjustment praises. 

The defense did what they needed to do to allow the offense to win the game, but that was a poor game from our defense.  No other way around it.  

On the bright side, it probably motivates them to come out and prove how good they truly are against Philly.  I doubt anyone on that side of the ball, aside from Tre, is too happy with their performance yesterday.

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Augie said:

We all know he’s far from a finished product. Last year he improved A LOT from the start of the year to later in the year. This year he generally looks better than the end of last year. He’s made some terrible, boneheaded throws for picks early this year. Yesterday he avoided making that dumb toss when he found himself in a similar position. He threw it safely OB.

Bottom line: He’s young, he’s not where we want him to be yet, but as long as he keeps showing progress in the big picture, I’m happy. It will be bumpy, but it’s all about progress. 

Agreed.  I pull  my hair out - what little I have left - when Josh throws picks or overthrows deep routes.  But overall I'm enjoying the ride and love the kid's attitude.  

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Virgil said:

So mine are irrational?  Damn it.  I'll take more Valium.  

Did you watch any of that game.  The field conditions were a joke in the rain.  Another thing they manager to mess up when building that stadium.  

Yeah, having to play in a flood kept that score to just FGs. It was one of the quickest games played and the stats were horrible cause no one could do anything in that weather, it would be like trying to use the Bills Blizzard games against the Browns and Colts as barometers to where they were at competitively.... The Bills played in nice weather against a bad team and had 2 weeks to prepare for them.

9 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I see people making statements that we had good adjustments after halftime.... did we?

On Offense, absolutely.  We only had 3 drives, but we accomplished exactly what we wanted to in all 3 of them. 

On Defense, Tre bailed us out forcing 2 turnovers.  If Miami scores to go up 8 or 12, while burning away 70% of the 3rd quarter, I doubt we're singing their halftime adjustment praises. 

The defense did what they needed to do to allow the defense to win the game, but that was a poor game from our defense.  No other way around it.  

On the bright side, it probably motivates them to come out and prove how good they truly are against Philly.  I doubt anyone on that side of the ball, aside from Tre, is too happy with their performance yesterday.

I'm not sure the defense won the game yesterday.  It was the first game this season that I actually think the offense won the game.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, eball said:

#1:  Agree completely -- it's a good thing that the standard has been raised.

#4:  I feared Milano's absence might be felt and it was...I think Corey Thompson is the guy we really want in that situation but he wasn't yet ready to go either.

#9:  They were ok.  Much better in 2nd half but there were too many penalties (I include TEs in that regard).

#10:  Yes.  I don't care what Philly's record is; win that game and everyone will take notice.

Bottom line -- no team, and particularly not a (mostly) young one without a history of success, is going to be "on" each Sunday.  Miami was destined to put together at least one "good" game this season and luckily for us it still wasn't enough.  This was an excellent teaching point for McD, who now won't have to get his players to believe they have to show up from the opening snap.  I think the Bills made good halftime adjustments and received two All-Pro plays from Tre White to get the job done.  Don't ever apologize for winning in this league (or for not winning by enough).

This is a major point I have seen mentioned much (at all)

Picking up on 2 points made by the OP.

First, Milano's absence was obvious and painful.  I agree he's a very important piece to the D.

Second, Allen was brought in to be something better than a game manager.  We already had that with Tyrod, and this administration decided it wasn't good enough.  Allen's problem is always going to be with consistency.

Can he consistently put together 4 quarters of good football?  

There's the rub.

My rational thoughts are; 1) We need to mix in more run plays in the 1st half of games, 2) We need a better Milano back up,  3) We need to get Foster healthy asap, those are the first steps,  4) We need a killer edge rusher, or whatever it’s called nowadays, not likely to be had in the near future, 5) We need another WR if Foster can’t get healthy, that’s all I got right now...

Go Bills!! 

31 minutes ago, Virgil said:

So mine are irrational?  Damn it.  I'll take Valium

just partially rational ?

17 minutes ago, Pokebball said:

It was the first game this season that I actually think the offense won the game.

I actually agree with this to an extent. In the first half the offense scored on 3/5 possssions yet the D allowed two drives 75 yards each back to back for TDs. For a D that was lights out all year make a stop to get the ball back so the offense can keep adding.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, CircleTheWagonsNC said:

I agree 100% about your Milano observation...I believe his absence yesterday had a huge impact on our Defensive play!  

But, at the end of the day...a win is a win and 5-1 is a great place to be!  An ugly win is better than a pretty loss...

Go Bills.

1st rep point is deserved. Nice to see a rational take from a newbie for a change!

13 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Second, Allen was brought in to be something better than a game manager.  We already had that with Tyrod, and this administration decided it wasn't good enough.  Allen's problem is always going to be with consistency.

Can he consistently put together 4 quarters of good football?  

There's the rub.

that’s basically what I’m saying can he elevate to the point the majority of the game he is good not just in patches.

40 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

Re penalties, I was surprised to find this: https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/penalties-per-game. The Bills are 30th in the league in penalties per game called against and subsequently accepted by the opponent. Only Atlanta and Cleveland are worse.

i was gonna like your post, but you just pointed out it is worse than even i thought.

pre snap and holding penalties are just bad offensive design/execution.  i really think dabo has the team shuffling around and not getting any kind of identity or rhythm going.

47 minutes ago, corta765 said:

just partially rational ?

I actually agree with this to an extent. In the first half the offense scored on 3/5 possssions yet the D allowed two drives 75 yards each back to back for TDs. For a D that was lights out all year make a stop to get the ball back so the offense can keep adding.

And without any doubt, the O only getting FGs on those possessions was frustrating as heck, they were moving the ball.  Penalties and miscues were getting in the Os way and those have to be cleaned up.  Each team got one possession in the 3rd quarter and the Bill's O moved the ball very well, on that 98 yard drive.

Edited by Pokebball

51 minutes ago, apuszczalowski said:

Yeah, having to play in a flood kept that score to just FGs. It was one of the quickest games played and the stats were horrible cause no one could do anything in that weather, it would be like trying to use the Bills Blizzard games against the Browns and Colts as barometers to where they were at competitively.... The Bills played in nice weather against a bad team and had 2 weeks to prepare for them.

Please stop saying they had 2 weeks to prepare. Coach sent them home for an entire week. They watched film on Monday, practiced on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday just like every other week. Their heads were out of football for the bye week and it showed in the first half.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, dave mcbride said:

Re penalties, I was surprised to find this: https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/penalties-per-game. The Bills are 30th in the league in penalties per game called against and subsequently accepted by the opponent. Only Atlanta and Cleveland are worse.

This is not too surprising considering new offense and very changed special teams.

13 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

Please stop saying they had 2 weeks to prepare. Coach sent them home for an entire week. They watched film on Monday, practiced on Wednesday, Thursday and Friday just like every other week. Their heads were out of football for the bye week and it showed in the first half.

But that is contrary to the WGR philosophy and he needs to satisfy his clients! 

If I was a client I'd be worried he be pumping in cyanide into van.

• Like (+1) 1