Rational Thoughts Day After Dolphins Game

corta765

I try to do these every Monday after 24 hrs to digest everything.

1. A Win is a Win. I was at the game and like many beyond frustrated with the team. BUT they got the W and it’s a good sign that we are not just happy with a W but wanted a bigger win. That’s progress for a team which hasn’t had much of a standard in forever.

2. That said they made things far tougher then it needed to be. This was the first time I’ve seen a McD coached team seem underprepared or almost overconfident against an opponent and it showed in the first half big time. 

3. How the heck Miami cut Jordan Phillips and how we got him for nothing is mind blowing. He is such a nice fit and brings a good meanness to the defense that is awesome.

4. I have said this since Milano started back in 2017 and I’ll say it again he is the most important player in their defense. His coverage skills and instincts are second to none and when he is not out there the hole is noticeable. If there is one small move I want Beane to make it would be to find a depth LB with good coverage skills because that hole was their all day.

5. The WR Corp has become a nice upgrade over last year, BUT I still think they need to either trade or draft a player to be the #1 WR. John Brown has been such a nice addition, Duke has been good in his role, and Cole has been fine, I just think one more talented guy really could take the WR Corp from a B territory to an A. Speaking of John Brown he deserves a Pro Bowl spot if he keeps this up he’s on pace for 88 rec and 1261 yds and 16th in yardage overall. Only 5 WRs above him in yardage have a higher average per catch.

6. Allen’s base level for play is sustainable which is that of a game manager that can sometimes make plays... he has to do better though. I’ve heard a lot of people defend Allen for drops penalties etc but isn’t it ok to want my QB to dominate for a whole game against a poor team or in general? I did like that there was no hero balls yesterday and he deserves credit for being a 4th quartet gamer. But I want him to progress where his good play is more then a quarter or a half.

7. Please extend Hyde now the dude is a baller.

8. Maybe this is the year Tre makes the pro bowl and gets the attention he deserves as a top CB. The way the league has ignored him is crazy. Such a good player and what’s looks to be a good dude.

9. I actually thought this was a good game for the offensive line maybe their best of the year. Perhaps it’s just me but I thought they did well in both pass and run protection and the only bad penalty was Dawkins.

10. Get to 6 Wins. I believe the last time the Bills were 6-1 or even 6-2 was the 1992 season. That would be a big accomplishment if they can finally break through. One game at a time and keep swinging.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Everyone wanted this big coming-of-age game from Josh. I don't understand it. As if, he doesn't throws for 300yds and 3TDs, he's not the QB of the future. We should be focusing on the fact that many times this season, when the game's on the line, he does what it takes to win. That's a bigger attribute I want in a QB than a stat line. A guy who doesn't get down because of mistakes and fights through and gets the W.    

• Like (+1) 16
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, corta765 said:

1. A Win is a Win. I was at the game and like many beyond frustrated with the team. BUT they got the W and it’s a good sign that we are not just happy with a W but wanted a bigger win. That’s progress for a team which hasn’t had much of a standard in forever.

4. I have said this since Milano started back in 2017 and I’ll say it again he is the most important player in their defense. His coverage skills and instincts are second to none and when he is not out there the hole is noticeable. If there is one small move I want Beane to make it would be to find a depth LB with good coverage skills because that hole was their all day.

9. I actually thought this was a good game for the offensive line maybe their best of the year. Perhaps it’s just me but I thought they did well in both pass and run protection and the only bad penalty was Dawkins.

10. Get to 6 Wins. I believe the last time the Bills were 6-1 or even 6-2 was the 1992 season. That would be a big accomplishment if they can finally break through. One game at a time and keep swinging.

#1:  Agree completely -- it's a good thing that the standard has been raised.

#4:  I feared Milano's absence might be felt and it was...I think Corey Thompson is the guy we really want in that situation but he wasn't yet ready to go either.

#9:  They were ok.  Much better in 2nd half but there were too many penalties (I include TEs in that regard).

#10:  Yes.  I don't care what Philly's record is; win that game and everyone will take notice.

Bottom line -- no team, and particularly not a (mostly) young one without a history of success, is going to be "on" each Sunday.  Miami was destined to put together at least one "good" game this season and luckily for us it still wasn't enough.  This was an excellent teaching point for McD, who now won't have to get his players to believe they have to show up from the opening snap.  I think the Bills made good halftime adjustments and received two All-Pro plays from Tre White to get the job done.  Don't ever apologize for winning in this league (or for not winning by enough).

• Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

You make q lot of good points, totally agree on most of them,  esp on Milano and it was also Milano's backup not ready to go.

As for Jordan Philips, as you imght have seen him on the sidelines, he is a deeply patient/emotional player. He got frustrated with what he thought (and I think based on what he has done here proves him to be correct) he was being severely underutilized, i might also add Miami was a bit dysfunctional so all that adds up to being unhappy and the Dolphin coaches were under enough stress they just said, we have enough problems, cant babysit you, see ya!

There problems wok rd to our benefit, usually with the Bills it is the other way around.

Edited by RoyBatty is alive

10 minutes ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

Everyone wanted this big coming-of-age game from Josh. I don't understand it. As if, he doesn't throws for 300yds and 3TDs, he's not the QB of the future. We should be focusing on the fact that many times this season, when the game's on the line, he does what it takes to win. That's a bigger attribute I want in a QB than a stat line. A guy who doesn't get down because of mistakes and fights through and gets the W.    

At this point it’s the whole picture not today. He’s absolutely improved and his standard of play is sustainable when they can win regularly with great defense. But at some point the defense won’t always be great and you want him to take the next step. I believe he can, but he has yet to have a breakout game to that level. Like I said it’s not bad to want more out of the QB spot and considering what other QBs did against the Dolphins defense it absolutely feels a little deflating to not see Allen do that.

It was not the Bill's best effort. It was a 2 posession win and the Bill's capitalized on the Dolphins mistakes to get the lead and build it to 2 scores. 

However against the worst team in the league you shouldn't need a INT at the goaline to avoid a 2 posession deficit. You shouldn't need multiple bad turnovers and other plays fo hold the Fins off.

But hey they got the win and got the win fairly comfortably. I hope this was more so a case of the Fins having a good gameplan and the Bill's being a little flat. 

You got the win now time to focus on a reeling Eagles team. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, corta765 said:

2. That said they made things far tougher then it needed to be. This was the first time I’ve seen a McD coached team seem underprepared or almost overconfident against an opponent and it showed in the first half big time. 

3. How the heck Miami cut Jordan Phillips and how we got him for nothing is mind blowing. He is such a nice fit and brings a good meanness to the defense that is awesome.

5. The WR Corp has become a nice upgrade over last year, BUT I still think they need to either trade or draft a player to be the #1 WR. John Brown has been such a nice addition, Duke has been good in his role, and Cole has been fine, I just think one more talented guy really could take the WR Corp from a B territory to an A. Speaking of John Brown he deserves a Pro Bowl spot if he keeps this up he’s on pace for 88 rec and 1261 yds and 16th in yardage overall. Only 5 WRs above him in yardage have a higher average per catch.

6. Allen’s base level for play is sustainable which is that of a game manager that can sometimes make plays... he has to do better though. I’ve heard a lot of people defend Allen for drops penalties etc but isn’t it ok to want my QB to dominate for a whole game against a poor team or in general? I did like that there was no hero balls yesterday and he deserves credit for being a 4th quartet gamer. But I want him to progress where his good play is more then a quarter or a half.

7. Please extend Hyde now the dude is a baller.

8. Maybe this is the year Tre makes the pro bowl and gets the attention he deserves as a top CB. The way the league has ignored him is crazy. Such a good player and what’s looks to be a good dude.

Accomplish 5 and I think we see 6.

46 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

It was not the Bill's best effort. It was a 2 posession win and the Bill's capitalized on the Dolphins mistakes to get the lead and build it to 2 scores. 

However against the worst team in the league you shouldn't need a INT at the goaline to avoid a 2 posession deficit. You shouldn't need multiple bad turnovers and other plays fo hold the Fins off.

But hey they got the win and got the win fairly comfortably. I hope this was more so a case of the Fins having a good gameplan and the Bill's being a little flat. 

You got the win now time to focus on a reeling Eagles team. 

I disagree. Fins are the worse team because of this. 

1 hour ago, quinnearlysghost88 said:

People were hoping for that. The coaches were hoping for that. It has nothing to do with whether he is the QB of the future. It would just be a nice confidence booster for him to have gone out and let them up. 

That's fine, but at some point he has to score more points.

im starting to think the penalties that we have had are really what has been killing us.

pre snap stuff along w just enough blunders to keep drives alive.  roughing the passer, d holding, o holding, etc.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

You're right but...

You want a QB that plays well all game, not just good enough in the 4th quarter to produce the win because the defense hasn't given up a bunch of points.

Personally, I think a QB should be both efficient and productive.  Josh's passer rating is around 80 right now.  That's not very efficient.  He's throwing for about 220 yards and 1 TD per game.  He hasn't been very productive either.  

The good news is that Josh is clearly playing better than last season which makes me think/hope he hasn't yet hit his ceiling.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, corta765 said:

At this point it’s the whole picture not today. He’s absolutely improved and his standard of play is sustainable when they can win regularly with great defense. But at some point the defense won’t always be great and you want him to take the next step. I believe he can, but he has yet to have a breakout game to that level. Like I said it’s not bad to want more out of the QB spot and considering what other QBs did against the Dolphins defense it absolutely feels a little deflating to not see Allen do that.

I think Josh takes the next step when he starts hitting the long ball. He's got the arm but he isn't connecting on any of the long plays where the receiver has beat his man. If he starts to make those (and I think many can be for touchdowns) he'll be scoring more points, making defenses respect that long pass ability and get him to the next step (and as I fan it will be sweet to watch him connect on those bombs!).

• Like (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, colin said:

im starting to think the penalties that we have had are really what has been killing us.

pre snap stuff along w just enough blunders to keep drives alive.  roughing the passer, d holding, o holding, etc.

Re penalties, I was surprised to find this: https://www.teamrankings.com/nfl/stat/penalties-per-game. The Bills are 30th in the league in penalties per game called against and subsequently accepted by the opponent. Only Atlanta and Cleveland are worse.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 1

The 6-0 Niners only mustered 9 points, all of them in the second half, to beat the lowly Redskins yesterday. 

Yes, you, me, everyone else wants Josh to come out and just stomp all over everyone. We want our defense to just stomp all over everyone. 

So far this season, we haven’t had to look for too many moral victories, because actual victories are coming. While some seem to want to look for moral defeats instead, I choose to celebrate that we are on the doorstep of our best record since the Superb Owl era. 

Will Josh become all we want him to be? Maybe, maybe not. But the book hasn’t nearly been written on him yet, I’d say we’re somewhere in the second chapter. 

• Like (+1) 2

So mine are irrational?  Damn it.  I'll take more Valium.  

1 minute ago, jimmy10 said:

The 6-0 Niners only mustered 9 points, all of them in the second half, to beat the lowly Redskins yesterday. 

Yes, you, me, everyone else wants Josh to come out and just stomp all over everyone. We want our defense to just stomp all over everyone. 

So far this season, we haven’t had to look for too many moral victories, because actual victories are coming. While some seem to want to look for moral defeats instead, I choose to celebrate that we are on the doorstep of our best record since the Superb Owl era. 

Will Josh become all we want him to be? Maybe, maybe not. But the book hasn’t nearly been written on him yet, I’d say we’re somewhere in the second chapter. 

Did you watch any of that game.  The field conditions were a joke in the rain.  Another thing they manager to mess up when building that stadium.  

During the game, I was extremely frustrated.  I was expecting a blowout and a game to pad the stats.  Looking back with some perspective, here are my Monday morning thoughts:

1.  They won the game.

2.  How many times has a poor Bills team been on the other side of a game like this?  Played their hearts out, had a lead, kept it close, had a chance a the end, and ultimately lost to the stronger opponent.

3.  Fitzpatrick is a gamer.  While his talent isn't the greatest, he plays with a lot of passion and intelligence and can keep a team in a game.  (As we know, he usually falls short in the end, but I still love the guy.)

4.  Even the best teams are not at their best every week.  The good teams find a way to win, even on off days.

5.  They won the game.

Edited by msw2112
  • Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

You're right but...

You want a QB that plays well all game, not just good enough in the 4th quarter to produce the win because the defense hasn't given up a bunch of points.

Personally, I think a QB should be both efficient and productive.  Josh's passer rating is around 80 right now.  That's not very efficient.  He's throwing for about 220 yards and 1 TD per game.  He hasn't been very productive either.  

The good news is that Josh is clearly playing better than last season which makes me think/hope he hasn't yet hit his ceiling.  

We all know he’s far from a finished product. Last year he improved A LOT from the start of the year to later in the year. This year he generally looks better than the end of last year. He’s made some terrible, boneheaded throws for picks early this year. Yesterday he avoided making that dumb toss when he found himself in a similar position. He threw it safely OB.

Bottom line: He’s young, he’s not where we want him to be yet, but as long as he keeps showing progress in the big picture, I’m happy. It will be bumpy, but it’s all about progress. 

• Like (+1) 3