Level of opponent

ScramblinDan

1 minute ago, 947 said:

I hope so. The bengals game would've been a blowout of not for Yeldon's fumble & the bad INT. It's crazy how easliy the tide can turn in a game, what should be a blowout becomes a near loss.

I remember looking up and seeing a first down advantage of 18-2. How that can turn into a near loss is crazy! 

• Like (+1) 1

I believe that when teams "play to their level", it's a focus issue. On one hand I hope that we aren't that kind of team, but on the other hand I would like to go into this weekend extra focused and limit mistakes against a good opponent and get a huge victory in the process.

The 90s Bills were great but play'd to their level A LOT!

2 minutes ago, r00tabaga said:

I believe that when teams "play to their level", it's a focus issue. On one hand I hope that we aren't that kind of team, but on the other hand I would like to go into this weekend extra focused and limit mistakes against a good opponent and get a huge victory in the process.

The 90s Bills were great but play'd to their level A LOT!

I totally agree with you, seems like they lose focus at different points but for decent stretches each game.

'level of your opponent' is a vastly overrated concept in the NFL.  It's not college where one team has all the top recruits and the other is picking from the local scrap heap.

These guys are all pros and each team is operating with the same salary cap.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Honestly, my hope is Buffalo has some stuff waiting to debut vs NE, and the 3rd quarter issues were related to 2 TD leads, dominant defense and a struggling run game.

2 hours ago, KD in CA said:

'level of your opponent' is a vastly overrated concept in the NFL.  It's not college where one team has all the top recruits and the other is picking from the local scrap heap.

Agreed 100%. Any given Sunday 

6 hours ago, 947 said:

I hope so. The bengals game would've been a blowout of not for Yeldon's fumble & the bad INT. It's crazy how easliy the tide can turn in a game, what should be a blowout becomes a near loss.

Man, the Jets game would have been a blow

out if it weren’t for tipped passes, bad snaps, and  poor decisions. 

But they did happen. Part of getting better is owning each and every mistake, not pawning them off as just a mishap, bad day, or other players. 

Edited by Mango

3 hours ago, ScramblinDan said:

Simple question, is this a team that just seems to play to the level of their opponent?  I would like to think that they are better than the teams they have played by more than the scores would reflect.  What do you think?

I don’t think our opponents are that bad. It would not surprise me if Cincy finished the year with 8 wins and the Giants finished with 7. The Jets could be a 7 win team if Darnold comes back soon but that is dropping by the week. 

3 hours ago, KD in CA said:

Right! There are anomalous "great" teams and even they struggle with inferior competition throughout the course of a season. Sometimes, they even lose outright. I'm cool just seeing the Bills win games. Not so concerned with the margin. There's not some HUGE talent gap between the Bills and the Bengals. There's definitely a talent gap between the Bills and the Patriots, but it's not astronomical. We're not talking about Alabama vs. Northwest Eastern Birmingham Institute of Technology.

• Like (+1) 1

I think they overcame mistakes and coming out in the 3rd quarter flat to finishing strong in the 4th quarter.  At the very least, this Bills team is resilient.  I don't think they played "down" to the Jets, Giants, or Bengals level; the Jets and Bengals aren't terrible, and should be around .500 teams.  The Giants game was the most decisive win and the Bills defense did a good job with keeping Barkley in check.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1