NFL competition committee likely to look at Dolphins tanking

BillsFan4

This was inevitable.  I don't think there has ever been a tank-job like this in the NFL.  And unlike in basketball and baseball, people can really get hurt.  These guys are literally putting their bodies (and even their lives) on the line every single week and going out there against vastly superior opponents can be downright dangerous.  It's the wrong thing to do and I think this might be something the Dolphins franchise never recovers from.  

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

I'd rather they look into Tom Brady and the NE Patriots nefarious deeds 

Not just look into, but legitimately investigate how that organization bypasses rules and procedures.  Past investigations with the Pats has been basically superficial; "inflate gate" was a joke.

Edited by Happy Gilmore

1 minute ago, mannc said:

This was inevitable.  I don't think there has ever been a tank-job like this in the NFL.  And unlike in basketball and baseball, people can really get hurt.  These guys are literally putting their bodies (and even their lives) on the line every single week and going out there against vastly superior opponents can be downright dangerous.  It's the wrong thing to do and I think this might be something the Dolphins franchise never recovers from.  

Hyperbolize much?

11 minutes ago, Dablitzkrieg said:

This will be an impossible task to prove.  Waste of time

I agree a waste of time.  Football is not like the NBA where 1 or 2 players can make you a play-off team.  Cleveland had many picks executed poorly until the the last few years.

I disagree on impossible to prove.  This is not a court of law.  Based on their conduct and stripping the roster of talent it can be shown they are tanking.  There may not be a memo but there is much evidence to demonstrate tanking.

Just now, Rocket94 said:

They sure as heck have collected good draft picks.

That's what makes it a tough case; it would be hard to argue that the Dolphins have been trading away their players without recouping fair value.  The problem is that the value won't be realized until the future and in the meantime, there are 53 guys who have to take the field every week for the next three months.  

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, bills11 said:

They aren't the first and won't be the last..it's only because it's somewhat blatant..the colts after Manning went down made no efforts to acquire a viable starter at qb they sucked for luck 

Actually they did. They signed Kerry Collins, who started 3 games, sucked, then got hurt, went on IR in late October & never played again.  It's a myth they didn't try to get a viable NFL QB.  It just didn't work out with Collins & then they were screwed because it was too late to get another potential starting QB, so they went with who was left on their roster.  

Edited by Albany,n.y.

1 minute ago, mannc said:

Miami will always attract players for sun, state with no income tax or good schools, loose dumb women with sillycones and peroxide and easy to find drugs.

9 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Personally, I think it is disgraceful what the dolphins are doing. There is no need to tank in the NFL. It’s not like the NHL or NBA where you can only get the most elite, franchise changing players with the top 2 picks in the draft. NFL Teams have found their QBs in every round of the draft. Sure, tanking for a top pick may give you a better chance at landing that franchise guy, but it’s still disgraceful to do it by tanking so blatantly. 

Miami tanking is so blatant but I think nothing drastic should be done by the league.

Football is different than NBA NHL like you said.  This could easily turn out to be a long term detriment to the Fish.

The NFL QB is the most important player on any team BUT the QB needs a decent team and competent coaching too.

Cleveland has been doing this for a number of years (even buying a 1st round pick) and it hasn't proven to be effective.

I think some of the off season CLE "hype" may have influenced MIA but the Browns have not done anything yet.

I would however consider a rule that no team can have more than two 1st round picks or something along those lines.

5 minutes ago, Golden Goat said:

I don't care which QB Miami drafts. Who will he throw to? Who will protect him? Who's there to ensure he isn't carted off the field by Week 4?

Typically those things are sorted out down the road.  The important bit is having the right QB.

2 minutes ago, mannc said:

I've been thinking about this in a similar way.  Looking at, and partly understanding, the argument about pre-season games and their futility.  You on one side have guys going 110% then you have others just going through the motions.  Players have argued that the discrepancy between efforts can increase risk for injury.  Now you have one team really trying to win, and one more or less just sitting there with nothing to lose.  This is a terrible look for an organization.  Plus, the potential damage to a player's ability to sign lucrative contracts based on a 2019 performance is significantly impaired.  Overall, not good.

2 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Actually they did. They signed Kerry Collins, who started 3 games, sucked, then got hurt, went on IR in late October & never played again.  It's a myth they didn't try to get a viable NFL QB.  It just didn't work out with Collins & then they were screwed because it was too late to get another potential starting QB, so they went with who was left on their roster.  

And I don't even know if it was smart - They got more time out of Luck, but manning was a beast with denver and helped them win a super bowl (kind of... he wasn't particularly good the year they won)

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

Miami tanking is so blatant but I think nothing drastic should be done by the league.

Football is different than NBA NHL like you said.  This could easily turn out to be a long term detriment to the Fish.

The NFL QB is the most important player on any team BUT the QB needs a decent team and competent coaching too.

Cleveland has been doing this for a number of years (even buying a 1st round pick) and it hasn't proven to be effective.

I think some of the off season CLE "hype" may have influenced MIA but the Browns have not done anything yet.

I would however consider a rule that no team can have more than two 1st round picks or something along those lines.

Yeah, but the league doesn't win if this backfires on the Miami organization and they remain lousy for a number of years due to the tank.  

They aren't concerned with preventing a successful Miami tank, they are concerned with the NFL's league wide image, and simply don't want this sort of thing to become the new norm around the league. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Considering this is a board that, for the most part, can't distinguish between "their," "they're," and "there," I would like to congratulate you on your use of the word "nefarious."

Underused in my book.

Sounds like a you problem. It's not underused in my books.