Herb Alpert's Whipped Cream Chick Turns 82

T&C

6 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I’m still trying to figure out for what demographic group does Channel 17 keeps running 40 year old videos of ‘The Lawrence Welk Show’.

Not gonna lie, I put one on once a year... different channel down here though... in memory of my grandfather.

Shouldn't you be watching reruns of the Red Green show? Get off my Welk!

Edited by T&C
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I’m still trying to figure out for what demographic group does Channel 17 keeps running 40 year old videos of ‘The Lawrence Welk Show’.

Donations call the shots, people over 70 are giving the $$$

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, row_33 said:

this was the era where men's magazines were proudly displayed in doctor/dentist offices and at the homes of liberal folk

grateful i came of age before what the internet bought

oh sorry, was the intention of this thread about an aesthetic appreciation?

I must be getting old myself. In those days there was less skin, but the appeal was the suggestion and imagination of it.

8 hours ago, row_33 said:

Donations call the shots, people over 70 are giving the $$$

Recalling Welk’s version of ‘big band’, I thought that age group demographic was well into the 90+ range.  Most of them are playing golden harps now.

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013

6 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Recalling Welk’s version of ‘big band’, I thought that age group demographic was well into the 90+ range.  Most of them are playing golden harps now.

My dad used to watch Lawrence Welk.  He’d be 99 if he was still alive. 

Edited by Gray Beard
  • Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, T&C said:

Shouldn't you be watching reruns of the Red Green show? Get off my Welk!

If you’re referencing PBS showing ‘The Red Green Show’ in US markets, I remember WNED in Buffalo having the chutzpah to show the PBS pledge drive for it, and having no intention of running the show.

29 minutes ago, Rocket94 said:

My father would make me watch that show.

My father would go off into the master bedroom and watch it by himself.  The rest of the family (including my mother) would just whine and roll their eyes if he tried to watch it out in the family room. 

My dad used to say that the key to a happy marriage is separate TVs. Smart man.

Edited by Gray Beard
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Gray Beard said:

My father would go off into the master bedroom and watch it by himself.  The rest of the family (including my mother) would just whine and roll their eyes if he tried to watch it out in the family room. 

I learned young not to argue with the guy. My brother and I used to have a joke ( a sick one) about having the ice packs ready if the old man was home!

On 9/11/2019 at 7:10 PM, T&C said:

Add a little Cash in there, Lynn Anderson, and the Association's greatest hits... still like this band though...  and yep, that what was found in the consoles. Don't forget Marvin Hamlish either, the entertainer made my grandfather seem like he heard it for the first time every time.

don't forget the Kingston trio

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kingston_Trio

• Like (+1) 1

My parents had this album and played "A Taste of Honey" all the time.  IDK about the video, but I always enjoyed the song.

It's a real American success story that Alpert and his partner Jerry Moss started making albums in their garage in 1962 and grew to become the largest independent record label in history, eventually selling to PolyGram in 1989 for the equivalent of $1 billion in today's dollars...

Edited by Lurker

On 9/12/2019 at 12:02 PM, Rocket94 said:

My father would make me watch that show.

the Rule for watching PBS with older people was that "you were not allowed to talk at all during the show"

On 9/14/2019 at 1:09 AM, stuvian said:

don't forget the Kingston trio

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kingston_Trio

of course, Kingston Trio "from the Hungry I" album

Peter Paul & Mary as well

folks were Elvis generation, they didn't like the Beatles after they turned weird