Two young QBs come back after rough starts

Albany,n.y.

The 1st one comes back & wins the game.  What do you hear from the national media?  Criticism and no respect.

The 2nd one comes back & ties the game.  National Media: He's the 2nd coming of Jesus.  

Josh Allen vs Kyler Murray.  I guess Heisman hype & being the #1 pick has its benefits.   

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Albany,n.y. said:

The 1st one comes back & wins the game.  What do you hear from the national media?  Criticism and no respect.

The 2nd one comes back & ties the game.  National Media: He's the 2nd coming of Jesus.  

Josh Allen vs Kyler Murray.  I guess Heisman hype & being the #1 pick has its benefits.   

Pretty different situations.

• Like (+1) 1

Murray's situation is a little different because it's his first ever NFL start and, as mentioned, he was the #1 overall pick.  He's also paired with a rookie Head Coach who is implementing a scheme that hasn't been adopted in the NFL to the extent they are adopting it.  Murray is also 5'10" (perhaps in heels), which makes him a major anomaly for a highly drafted NFL QB.  That aside, I haven't seen much in the national media that is critical and disrespectful to Allen and is simultaneously praising Murray.

Edited by msw2112
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, msw2112 said:

Murray's situation is a little different because it's his first ever NFL start and, as mentioned, he was the #1 overall pick.  He's also paired with a rookie Head Coach who is implementing a scheme that hasn't been adopted in the NFL to the extent they are adopting it.  Murray is also 5'10" (perhaps in heels), which makes him a major anomaly for a highly drafted NFL QB.  That aside, I haven't seen much in the national media that is critical and disrespectful to Allen and is simultaneously praising Murray.

I think what OP was saying is that Allen has NOT received the credit due to him for making a 4th quarter comeback.   Everyone of them has criticized him for having 4 turnovers. 

Allen could possibly have the same excuses like you say above:

1.  8 of 11 starters on Offense are New.

2.  His starting TE is out with an injury

3.  He had ZERO reps in TC with his starting Center

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Albany,n.y. said:

Care to explain?  

I watched that game and Detroit sat back and played prevent once they got up by 3 scores, it was 24-6 with 14 minutes to go in the 4th and up until that point Murray wasnt very good. Everybody knows what happens when teams go into prevent and if it wasnt for a goofy I'll advised time out called by a Lions coach just as the ball was snapped on a 3rd down which negated a Deteoit first down the game would have ended 24-16.

Edited by pop gun

1 hour ago, BuffaloBill said:

Josh will not get respect until he and the Bills win.  Keep in mind he plays on a team that has been largely completely irrelevant for nearly two decades.  No to mention Buffalo is a small market team.  Josh has to earn respect.

WHOA WHOA WHOA are you trying to say Arizona is a winning team that automatically gets Murray respect?  There is a reason they had the #1 pick.

5 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Josh will not get respect until he and the Bills win.  Keep in mind he plays on a team that has been largely completely irrelevant for nearly two decades.  No to mention Buffalo is a small market team.  Josh has to earn respect.

Yep.  And also, there is "confirmation bias".  Josh Allen is seen as inaccurate so that's what people see.

A little snack for y'all: postgame from Jets Central, a frustrated but knowledgeable Jets fan.  This guy has my respect though - he's trying for a balanced viewpoint, he gives Buffalo props especially our D.  He was talking about the Bills game plan and how they came out throwing and it seemed odd to start off so pass-heavy and "many of the passes were falling incomplete" and the Bills just couldn't get anything going.

Except

In the first Q of the game, Josh Allen was 8/12, 66% completion.  It wasn't incomplete passes that were stalling us, it was miscues - the strip sack, the pick-6 INT.  And while the strip sack was insufficient care with the ball, the INT can not be chalked up to either poor judgement or an inaccurate through.  Overall in the 1st half JA was 62.5%.

My point is that, here's a knowledgeable fan (even if he is a Jets fan) who is pretty much seeing it as is - he had a lot of good points about how the two teams are both rebuilding but focused on different areas in FA and the draft, the Jets on skill players and the Bills on the trenches - he called out Adam Gase's end-of-game playcalling and rightly so I think - but he's seeing Josh as inaccurate and having lots of incomplete passes stalling drives when that's not what happened.  Josh had a lot of good, completed throws and the Bills were moving the ball, but stalled out by turnovers.

Josh got a ton of attention after the Vikings game for his performance (and especially the Barr hurdle). Not everything is a slight at Bills fans. Murray is the #1 overall pick, and that story will get far more views. 

When the Bills are sitting in the division hunt week 10 of this season, he’ll get a ton of coverage. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

Murray looked pretty spectacular in the second half. He's definitely got that it factor. He was furious with the tie; shows you how competitive he is despite the nonchalant offseason media nonsense. He seems almost robotic in a good way. Some of the throws me made, particularly for the 2 point conversion, were amazing. 

I don't quite get the need to CONSTANTLY compare Allen to other young QB's, especially the coverage or lack thereof from pundits. In fairness, Allen was gritty and I was extremely impressed with his poise and wherewithall, but he didn't really do anything in spectacular fashion. Not in the Jets game anyhoo. If he makes the wow plays and the Bills start winning consistently, he'll get the praise, although the media coverage is not important to me personally. He got a ton of praise for the hurdle last season, so it's not like there's some concerted effort to ignore him.

28 minutes ago, ny33 said:

Josh got a ton of attention after the Vikings game for his performance (and especially the Barr hurdle). Not everything is a slight at Bills fans. Murray is the #1 overall pick, and that story will get far more views. 

When the Bills are sitting in the division hunt week 10 of this season, he’ll get a ton of coverage. 

Posted before I read this; sorry for the copyright infringement.

• Like (+1) 1