Antonio Brown called Mike Mayock a “cracker” during Wednesday’s altercation

wppete

10 minutes ago, MJS said:

I'm sure the term "cracker" has been used countless times before violence on white people.

Me personally? I believe the N word is far, far worse than using the term cracker. History can't be ignored when looking at these terms.

But using the term cracker is still a racist, derogatory term. If a black person uses that term (while being restrained, threatening violence, and using all manner of explitives, no less) and expects all white people to not use racist, derogatory terms against him (even if those terms are worse), that's a clear double standard.

And really I don't care that much. If someone called me that I really wouldn't care. I don't feel strongly about this at all. I just recognize a double standard when I see it. And if we want racial divides to disappear, BOTH sides need to make changes to how they view and treat the other side. Double standards need to disappear.

That's a good point.

One of the things I noticed from the research (it ain't like I made a career of it, I only spent half an hour. The word "research" here is probably overselling what I did, but it was actually really interesting.) was that several sites noted that the word can really sting in the South but that in the North it has no real effect or power. I would suspect most Buffalo fans (me too) are looking at the use of this word as an insult from the outside.

5 minutes ago, Gugny said:

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27552977/gruden-plan-brown-play-monday-night

"Antonio is back today," Gruden said. "We're really excited about that. Ready to move on. He's had a lot of, obviously, time to think about things. We're happy to have him back and I know Raider Nation is excited about that, too."

Mayock is excited about that too, after consulting with employment law attorneys and determining that, given Brown's previous documented absences from required team functions and his documented outburst that was captured on team video, they still have plenty of grounds to void his guarantees even if he is on the roster for Week 1. 

In fact it might actually strengthen their case if he acts out again, showing that they did not act in haste but tried all other remedies to preserve his employment.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, MJS said:

Teammates have come out and said that he was always a me first guy and cared about himself and nobody else. They said if he got money he'd turn into a monster. Right after he got paid he freaked out on teammates who would even touch him in practice and scream that he was the franchise and to not tough him.

So no, I believe Brown has always been a complete tool.

Yeah? I don't think that's correct.

Some Steelers did indeed say that, but I've never seen even one example of that referring to his early years. They were talking about his last couple of years in the black-and-gold. Many have said that he has changed a great deal.

2 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Mayock is excited about that too, after consulting with employment law attorneys and determining that, given Brown's previous documented absences from required team functions and his documented outburst that was captured on team video, they still have plenty of grounds to void his guarantees even if he is on the roster for Week 1.

I mean this might be ideal for the Raiders if this whole incident and the threat of losing his money can reign him in.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Now that the season is upon us, I'd much rather this go away.

If Antonio Brown and his issues are going to be the top story every day, it's gonna get pretty old, pretty quickly.

I don't know if he's suffering from mental illness, suffering from CTE, or if he's just an a-hole who let money and fame get the better of him.

I'm going to safely (in my opinion) assume that he's just an a-hole.  He needs to be learnt that he's not bigger than the game.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Yeah? I don't think that's correct.

Some Steelers did indeed say that, but I've never seen even one example of that referring to his early years. They were talking about his last couple of years in the black-and-gold. Many have said that he has changed a great deal.

They specifically said that about his early years before getting paid. When Wallace left. There was an article posted about it on the other Brown thread.

5 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

In fact it might actually strengthen their case if he acts out again, showing that they did not act in haste but tried all other remedies to preserve his employment.

Hey- if that's how it works, that might be the best case for them. Best case scenario, he balls out and all is well. Worst case, they ditch him and get the money back 

Just now, MJS said:

They specifically said that about his early years before getting paid. When Wallace left. There was an article posted about it on the other Brown thread.

The article in question was talking about 2012 or 2013 I believe.  So it might be true that his first couple years, he was a good guy.  But it wasn't just his last couple years, though maybe it escalated.  It was after making the pro bowl as a kick returner and his first >1000 yd season.  The season Pitt tried to resign Mike Wallace, and when they couldn't, they paid Brown.  Before 2013?

1 hour ago, Kelly the Dog said:

If someone of any race called me a cracker I would find it hilarious. It carries no weight whatsoever. Well, maybe a cracker's worth 

I have been called a lot worse and would tend to not care, but it was absolutely meant as a racial slur. Imo this is the issue, not how much it would bother me being called a name.

If it can be proven (witnesses, etc.) that he did use a racial slur and threaten violence, my guess is that this has happened before in the NFL, and I can think of no reason why AB should be punished more or less than other offenders.

I'm not sure how anybody could feel any different.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The article in question was talking about 2012 or 2013 I believe.  So it might be true that his first couple years, he was a good guy.  But it wasn't just his last couple years, though maybe it escalated.  It was after making the pro bowl as a kick returner and his first >1000 yd season.  The season Pitt tried to resign Mike Wallace, and when they couldn't, they paid Brown.  Before 2013?

Yeah. Brown isn't an idiot. I'm sure he knew that he couldn't come in and act like he owned the place before making his mark. He was a 6th round draft pick. I wonder what he was like in college.

2 minutes ago, whatdrought said:

Hey- if that's how it works, that might be the best case for them. Best case scenario, he balls out and all is well. Worst case, they ditch him and get the money back 

From reading the article in PFT, they were saying Brown had already done enough to vacate his guarantees by missing practices and walk throughs.  I didn't follow it all, but the gist I got was that the NFLPA would be "on guard" against setting a precedent that teams could contract with players and then easily void the guarantees. 

They didn't say this explicitly, but to my mind the clear implication was that trying to work stuff out with the player and using lesser means of discipline first such as fines etc, would only strengthen and not weaken the case on appeal, in the view of the NFLPA.

2 hours ago, Bandito said:

If a white player called a black coach or player a racial slur it would be all over national news, that player would be cut from said team and then banned from the league. He needs to be gone.

Agreed but there is a huge racial doublestandard in this world these days. Its all in how he used the term and since it was derogatory he should be held as the same standard as a white man using the n word to a black man.  Not even gonna elaborate on this anymore because everyone is so racially sensitive these days.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

I have been called a lot worse and would tend to not care, but it was absolutely meant as a racial slur. Imo this is the issue, not how much it would bother me being called a name.

If it can be proven (witnesses, etc.) that he did use a racial slur and threaten violence, my guess is that this has happened before in the NFL, and I can think of no reason why AB should be punished more or less than other offenders.

I'm not sure how anybody could feel any different.

It comes to one of those things where the Oakland FO has to decide what's more important to them, team culture or trying to win football games?

Historically, they've voted for "Just Win, Baby"

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

From reading the article in PFT, they were saying Brown had already done enough to vacate his guarantees by missing practices and walk throughs.  I didn't follow it all, but the gist I got was that the NFLPA would be "on guard" against setting a precedent that teams could contract with players and then easily void the guarantees. 

They didn't say this explicitly, but to my mind the clear implication was that trying to work stuff out with the player and using lesser means of discipline first such as fines etc, would only strengthen and not weaken the case on appeal, in the view of the NFLPA.

I was under the impression (and I think I made this up in my mind anyways) that their timeline to get out of the guarantees would have been before week one... But I guess it makes sense that if he acts up again they can show the pattern of behavior and then take the money back...