NFL Execs on what each team should worry about (Athletic: paywall)

TroutDog

4 hours ago, BillsVet said:

Going after Antonio Brown was an acknowledgement they didn't have the play-makers at the skill positions.  This attempt signaled they'd go outside the process to give Allen a real vertical weapon. 

Gore and Singletary aren't burner types at RB.  The TE position is a huge question mark with one guy not having practiced since May and another a 3rd round rookie. 

The WR who'll get down field is Brown and after him no one is proven at that role.  Foster is a nice story, but not proven by a long shot. 

Speed is going to be an issue for this offense. 

False.

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, jeremy2020 said:

I guess our D players need to say more stupid sh*t so they get media coverage and can be "big" names like Ramsey

Be real, Ramsey is an ass, but hes also elite and nobody on the Bills is in that territory, yet at least.  No Tre is not as good as Ramsey so don't bother.

2 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

False.

I would love to know what you find false, looks SPOT ON, to anyone without bias.

9 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

Cart and horse issue in Buffalo.  It all depends upon Allen.  If he can win and produce then the guys around him will look better.  The D would have bigger names if they were a part of a winning playoff team.

Yes.  if the Offense is on the field longer, that keeps the defense fresh and they can go after the QB and force him to make mistakes.  Stars will emerge.  Will the Running game help Allen and not force this team into a one dimensional team

7 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

They're fast and can make big plays, but they're definitely not elite - the sort of player like AJ Green, OBJ, or Julio Jones who are both fast and regularly win contested catches.  The Bills haven't had player like that since Eric Moulds in his prime from 1998-2002. Watkins had that potential (and, frankly, still does), and while he flashed it, he was hurt too much and the organization didn't keep him around.

That's fair, but what teams have those players?  Obviously, Cincy has one, Atlanta has one, now Cleveland has one, Dallas,

I guess my point is, who are the most successful teams, and do all of THEM have such guys?

5 hours ago, yungmack said:

Elite receivers are not necessary for elite team status. List the 5 acknowledged best WRs in the league and look at where their teams finish. The same can be said for so-called elite RBs. The key to success is an elite QB whose line is above average, with good coaching. The rest is gravy.

Basically, it’s NE with the best qb that doesn’t fit this model. Bree’s has Thomas. Mahomes has good pieces.  Rams have a good crew.  Ryan has Julio.  

Now you don’t necessarily need Julio but you need better than what we have.  We have 2s at best (and that may be a stretch) and mainly 3s and 4s. 

10 hours ago, GG said:

Sounds like the annual description of the Pats* for the last 20 years (except the QB)

Troy Brown, Richard Seymore, Rodney Harrison, Corey Dillion, Gronk, Randy Moss, off the top of my head. i could go on, they’ve had some “superstars”

We can compete but unless everyone takes massive steps in the right direction, we won’t be an elite team

7 hours ago, DCofNC said:

Be real, Ramsey is an ass, but hes also elite and nobody on the Bills is in that territory, yet at least.  No Tre is not as good as Ramsey so don't bother.

I would love to know what you find false, looks SPOT ON, to anyone without bias.

All of it.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, TroutDog said:

Quote:

Buffalo Bills

The worry: Buffalo might not have the explosive playmakers to take the next step.

Josh Allen IS the "explosive playmaker".

The Air Allen show is about to lift off,  enjoy the flight Buffalo!

#GoBills

4 hours ago, stosh64 said:

Josh Allen IS the "explosive playmaker".

The Air Allen show is about to lift off,  enjoy the flight Buffalo!

#GoBills

Allen certainly is the Playmaker, but I think the point is, even Rodgers, who is far more polished, but a similar physical ability type, needs talent around him to go anywhere substantial.  The Bills don't have anybody else on this roster who has proven to be an explosive playmaker.  Brown and Foster have ability, but Brown has only one 1000 yard season and Foster has all of about a 5 game resume.  Not a lot to go on.  The backfield is a rookie who was deemed "too slow", which has yet to be determined, a 36 year old and an average back with good hands, nothing exciting there.  TEs are all unproven at best.  It's easy to see where the questions come from, because there are no answers yet.

On the D, nobody has solidified a spot as an elite player either.  Theres a bunch of guys who are all pretty damn good, but I would actually argue Hyde is the biggest X factor and he's not recognized as one of the elites either.

Tre is a half step slow, Hughes is old, Oliver has done nothing in an actual NFL game, the LBs as a whole haven't proved anything other than potential yet.  

All that said, good TEAMS are better than the sum of their parts, ask the Pats, but it usually requires a couple of real standouts at key positions for that to work.  Basically Allen and a couple guys catching passes have to become bigtime playmakers every game to win.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That's fair, but what teams have those players?  Obviously, Cincy has one, Atlanta has one, now Cleveland has one, Dallas,

I guess my point is, who are the most successful teams, and do all of THEM have such guys?

Well, there are only a handful of Julio Jones-type players in terms of physique/speed, but there are a LOT of elite receivers who are elite because they're absolutely fantastic at certain important things (e.g., Adam Thielen). The Bills simply don't have one of those guys. Off the top of my head:

OBJ

Juju Smith-Schuster

AJ Green

DeAndre Hopkins (arguably the best receiver in the NFL)

Keenan Allen

Antonio Brown

Tyreek Hill

Amari Cooper (Dallas version)

Alshon Jeffrey

Brandin Cooks

Michael Thomas

Julio Jones

Mike Evans

Adam Thielen

Josh Gordon (when not suspended)

Guys who are either just below that level yet better than anyone on the Bills, or who are on the cusp because of massive talent:  

Corey Davis (incredible talent)

Sammy Watkins (massive talent; still only 25)

Mike Williams (talent; 10 TDs last season and over 15 ypc)
Robert Woods (great route running, hands, production)

Tyler Lockett (great route running, amazing hands, ever-increasing production)

Davante Adams (incredibly hard to cover because of quickness; production)

Calvin Ridley (route running; production)

And then there is the TE position, which is a big part of any passing game. There are a lot of very good ones, but the Bills TE situation remains lousy. Maybe their third rounder, Knox, turns out to be OK. I certainly hope so, but I'm not holding my breath given the Bills' long history of weakness at that position.

The Bills have the talent to win the Super Bowl.  It is just a matter of everyone playing up to their peak talent.  There is no argument the Defense has the talent to be the best in the NFL.  The offense has the players to put up enough points to beat anyone.  This is a team that will methodically move the ball down the field and put up points.  This is a team that will create turnovers too.  Most importantly, this is a team that will get much better as the year goes on.  Nobody is going to want to play them in the second half of the year. Especially teams like the Browns, Cowboys, Steelers, and Patriots, who all will be looking to win their divisions.  

I like this team to make the playoffs, get hot, and become very difficult to beat in January, maybe even February.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DCofNC said:

I mostly agree with what you posted, we have a lot of unknowns and a lot of hopefuls.

I admit my post was a major 'homer' post, I do however believe Allen will be a superstar.  Time will tell.

Don't ruin my homer optimismB-)