Tonight was very special for some of our players

KingBoots8

I know that. Or at least I should know that. And do you know how hard it is to quickly track the history of the AFL preseason? Even I have no interest in taking that any further. Piling on Tasker (who I actually revere as a player) is far more enjoyable.

This was the first time I was able to get a decent stream with the Buffalo announcing team. For weeks I've been thinking, "this guy is worse than #$%^& Tasker" when the local bozo has no idea what player made the play, what the call was actually going to be, etc.

And tonight I FINALLY got a great stream with the Buffalo team. Then I realized, again for the umpteeth time (as my mom might say), he's no better than the worst of them. That is, until the end of this game. When he was excited and a fan, it was genuine and it actually added to my excitement.  But that's just the whole preseason homer exemption. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, The Dean said:

I don't make too much of it all. But I will say it was the most enjoyable (start to finish) last preseason Bills game I can remember.  And while the W/L doesn't make any difference, the fact that the guys on the field at the time are still playing their asses off to get the W, does make a difference, IMO.  To see the emotion on the sideline of all players not active, suggest something special MIGHT be going on.  If they build on that through the season, and keep it when things go sideways,  then they just may be on to something here. 

It was fun to see the various players hanging out during the game.

I saw Bodine & Oliver talking, it just seemed an odd pairing - and really cool that the team isn't full of cliques, i.e., DBs only hang with DBs, etc.

9 hours ago, KingBoots8 said:

I can easily say for the first time in a long while there isn’t anyone on this team I want to see leave after cuts. I get this sense that there’s a really deep bond between these guys, and the cuts are really going to hurt.

Tonight the Bills did something they haven’t done in a long time- went undefeated in the Preseason. While to 53 players this won’t mean all that much, there are some who played their last NFL game tonight. It’s a very sad sentiment, but to go out with a win at home has got to be the way to do it if you could have it your way.

Cheers to this team, this staff, and these players for putting something great together. Enjoy this night- you have all earned it.

a come-from-behind win, no less. With a 21-point comeback in under four minutes, go-ahead score with 8-seconds left.... what a story for those guys.

9 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

There may be something special about this group. It's impossible to say at this point, but they have a feeling, and comaraderie that seems different. It's a tribute to a Beane and McDermott, whom I personally have had some issues with. But they are definitely building something, and the guys play hard and for each other, which is good to see. 

I first felt this way about the team after last year's W3 win in Minnesota.  Yes, a lot of bad (and some good) came after that, but it was at that moment I sensed something special about what McD and Beane are building.  We shall see if the talent has caught up to the culture.

8 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Watching him early in the season and with the weaker qb draft, I thought for sure he’d go in the 4th at worst.  But he finished bad (though he had a good combine).  

I know odds are he wont amount to anything but this is the type of project you keep on the practice squad.  He is like a less polished Allen.  

Tyree has a long way to go before he even reaches that status.  He's a gamer but he's nowhere close to being an NFL QB.  He was "one read, then run" all night long.

Edited by eball

12 hours ago, Gugny said:

People can make fun of/trivialize culture all they want.  But it's clear that McDermott has built a very selfless, respectful culture.  I know culture doesn't necessarily win games.  But a poor culture absolutely loses them.

The early 90's teams have some of the worst culture and it cost them dearly.  However on the flip side, the ego-maniac nature of their teams is what propelled them to 4 SB's in a row.

15 minutes ago, Element115 said:

The early 90's teams have some of the worst culture and it cost them dearly.  However on the flip side, the ego-maniac nature of their teams is what propelled them to 4 SB's in a row.

I think they were more propelled by cocaine.

Marv's culture got them to four Super Bowls.  I can't call that a failure.  Different times; different people.

At least they can say they played in the NFL. If I were one of those guys and ended up selling insurance I'd have some pictures of the game up on the wall and bull#### my grandkids by telling them it was the Super Bowl. If they asked me why there were only 1000 people in the crowd I'd say we were beating the Vikings so badly that most people left during the 3rd quarter. 

49 minutes ago, Element115 said:

Explain your reasoning. please? 

As far as I can tell, those teams were very tight knit. Like a family they had their spats. But they held together. Even today many of those guys still hang out together. 

Now, they may not have been the most personally disciplined team we've ever seen. But Marv was all about on-the-field character and culture. Those teams had that in spades.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Dean said:

Explain your reasoning. please? 

As far as I can tell, those teams were very tight knit. Like a family they had their spats. But they held together. Even today many of those guys still hang out together. 

Now, they may not have been the most personally disciplined team we've ever seen. But Marv was all about on-the-field character and culture. Those teams had that in spades.

Steve Tasker just said on the radio last week they were not together, not at all.  The locker room was full of clique's and finger pointing.  Listen to the Mike Lodish interview on WGR.

Just now, Element115 said:

Steve Tasker just said on the radio last week they were not together, not at all.  The locker room was full of clique's and finger pointing.  Listen to the Mike Lodish interview on WGR.

If Tasker said that, they were close knit. He is always wrong.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Element115 said:

He was just a special teamer.  Why would they let him in?