US Open Tennis

Augie

Big tennis guy though I usually only watch Federer or the Majors. The 15 year old Coco Gauff (USA) is in an amazing battle with Babos in the 3rd right now. This is AWESOME stuff! 

A buddy who’s been to the US Open several times tried to get me to go up, but we leave for a big trip Saturday. The US Open and Wimbledon are on my bucket list! I’ll take the French and Australian too if I’m being greedy.  ?

Coco is an AMAZING 15 year old! 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I haven’t watched it in years but the US Open used to be one of my favorite events too watch.  I have more in my head though Capriotti, the Williams Sisters, and Martina Hingis how ever long ago that was.  I

honestly never heard of Coco.  This was my favorite match ever:

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, RaoulDuke79 said:

I remember her making a name for herself during Wimbledon. At 15 it seems like the sky is the limit. 

The interviews that followed really impressed me. She’s got her head on straight. Covers the court like CRAZY!  Hard to believe that young lady is only 15 years old. Wow! Impressive. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Count me as a huge Coco fan. Watched a fair amount of her at Wimbledon. Hopefully she can make another little run at US Open! 

I am otherwise a huge Nadal fan, and pulling for him on the men’s side.  

Love Nadal, but Federer is my all-time guy. Loved when cocky Djokovic said Roger was no big deal, and Nadal stepped up and said (at the time)  something like “well, he’s got 13 majors, and you have squat! Have some respect. Go out and win some.” 

I hate that the Joker may catch up, but he’s a petty guy who is upset that people don’t love him. That’s the price of not being lovable!

Edited by Augie

26 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

PS— you want to talk about great US Open memories...

That brings back memories! 

I used to play in a 10 week  Monday night doubles league at our club in Florida. It was 14 courts of doubles under lights. One set with each guy, win 18 games, you move up to a higher court. Lose, you move way down. I had a couple good weeks to start, and wound up on court #1. Not the first time, but the most unique.  I was worried about the guy I knew had a full ride to play at Univ of FL, and a neighbor of mine from Canada who was his doubles partner when they played in Florida tournaments. I was dreading the next 2-3 hours. I started with an apology....I didn’t ASK to be here. 

Before we start, a buddy comes up to me and says “I know you're probably nervous about playing with Tom and Chris, but do you see the tall guy? He lives down the road from me. I sat in his family room and watched video of him playing Connors and Lendl at the US Open.” WHAT??? Turns out the guy was a top 10 doubles player in the world, then got chicken pox as an adult, as I remember it. Complications ended his tennis career. 

Highlight of my tennis life, probably low light  of theirs. I got 9 games, 3-3 and 3 is not embarrassing, and I never got broken (thanks to monsters at the net!). 

Love the game still, wish I could play it the way I used to. 

Edited by Augie

16 minutes ago, Augie said:

Love Nadal, but Federer is my all-time guy. Loved when cocky Djokovic said Roger was no big deal, and Nadal stepped up and said (at the time)  something like “well, he’s got 13 majors, and you have squat! Have some respect. Go out and win some.” 

I hate that the Joker may catch up, but he’s a petty guy who is upset that people don’t love him. That’s the price of not being lovable!

I am with you. Killed me to see Joker beat Federer at Wimbledon. I can’t tell you how hard I was pulling for Federer. Had two championship points! Still makes me sick! 

4 minutes ago, Augie said:

That brings back memories! 

I used to play in a 10 week  Monday night doubles league at our club in Florida. It was 14 courts of doubles under lights. One set with each guy, win 18 games, you move up to a higher court. Lose, you move way down. I had a couple good weeks to start, and wound up on court #1. Not the first time, but the most unique.  I was worried about the guy I knew had a full ride to play at Univ of FL, and a neighbor of mine from Canada who was his doubles partner when they played in Florida tournaments. I was dreading the next 2-3 hours. 

Before we start, a buddy comes up to me and says “I know you're probably nervous about playing with Tom and Chris, but do you see the tall guy? He lives down the road from me. I sat in his family room and watched video of him playing Connors and Lendl at the US Open.” WHAT??? Turns out the guy was a top 10 doubles player in the world, then got chicken pox as an adult, as I remember it. Complications ended his tennis career. 

Highlight of my tennis life, probably low light  of theirs. I got 9 games, 3-3 and 3 is not embarrassing, and I never got broken (thanks to monsters at the net!). 

Love the game still, wish I could play it the way I used to. 

Ha—that’s great!!

Great game to play. I wish I can get out more— used to be a decent doubles player in high school. Just no time to play and none of my friends really play. 

• Sad 1

12 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I am with you. Killed me to see Joker beat Federer at Wimbledon. I can’t tell you how hard I was pulling for Federer. Had two championship points! Still makes me sick! 

Ha—that’s great!!

Great game to play. I wish I can get out more— used to be a decent doubles player in high school. Just no time to play and none of my friends really play. 

In season I hit at a park 4-5 days/week. Just groundstrokes with a couple guys. Another group is there rotating in and out with several courts of doubles. We’re all pals, but I’ve never broken into the doubles crowd. Haven’t done much volleying in a decade.  Turns out the eyes change, and that makes a difference in tracking the ball with multi focal contact lenses. 

Excited about the Open, as always, but heading to a Spain/Portugal trip Saturday on a small cruise ship (310 people). More excited about that, but hope I get to see some tennis! I know they have some bars on board!  

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Augie said:

Djokovic never did himself any favors early in his career.  He was notorious for questionable injury breaks during tight matches and of course, how many times does a man bounce the ball before he serves?!?  

Crap like that didn't help pick up fans who were already spellbinded by Roger & Nadal.  But to be fair, that was 10+ years ago.  Does he try too hard to get the crowd to like him? Yes.  Does his grass eating celebration at Wimbledon make you cringe?  Kinda.  But he crashed the most popular men's rivalry ever (arguably).  

I don't recall the Rafa quote, but it doesn't surprise me.  He's the classiest athlete I've ever come across.  I've always appreciated Nadal's interactions with Novak more than Federer's.  It seems pretty apparent Nadal has accepted him as a peer and equal, something Federer hasn't done.  

I'll be in the minority, but I'll be happy if/when he passes Fed.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, stony said:

Djokovic never did himself any favors early in his career.  He was notorious for questionable injury breaks during tight matches and of course, how many times does a man bounce the ball before he serves?!?  

Crap like that didn't help pick up fans who were already spellbinded by Roger & Nadal.  But to be fair, that was 10+ years ago.  Does he try too hard to get the crowd to like him? Yes.  Does his grass eating celebration at Wimbledon make you cringe?  Kinda.  But he crashed the most popular men's rivalry ever (arguably).  

I don't recall the Rafa quote, but it doesn't surprise me.  He's the classiest athlete I've ever come across.  I've always appreciated Nadal's interactions with Novak more than Federer's.  It seems pretty apparent Nadal has accepted him as a peer and equal, something Federer hasn't done.  

I'll be in the minority, but I'll be happy if/when he passes Fed.

I respect the talent, and I respect your opinion. I don’t think Roger has shunned Novak in any way. I’ve never heard an interview where Roger dissed Novak or diverted the conversation. It may be real, or he may be too smart. 

I’d rather have Nadal on top than the Joker, for sure. In the end, it won’t be Roger. It doesn’t make him any less great. 

59 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

PS— you want to talk about great US Open memories...

I used to go every year back in that era....the 80s/early 90s was incredible for tennis.

Wifey is actually flying out tomorrow night to meet up with friends in NYC for the weekend and going to the Open on Sunday.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

I try to tape and watch the semis and finals if they are going to be competitive

as a somewhat fan it's hard to devote up to 5 hours for a match

frustratingly, the man who is ahead in sets often tanks an entire set to rest up, so that's 40 minutes i can fast forward through

Djokovic tanked the 2nd and 4th sets, basically, against Federer at Wimbledon 2019, good strategy

10 hours ago, The Plastic Cup said:

I used to go every year back in that era....the 80s/early 90s was incredible for tennis.

Wifey is actually flying out tomorrow night to meet up with friends in NYC for the weekend and going to the Open on Sunday.

1970s was the best for personalities and extreme rivalries.

Edited by row_33

53 minutes ago, row_33 said:

I try to tape and watch the semis and finals if they are going to be competitive

as a somewhat fan it's hard to devote up to 5 hours for a match

frustratingly, the man who is ahead in sets often tanks an entire set to rest up, so that's 40 minutes i can fast forward through

Djokovic tanked the 2nd and 4th sets, basically, against Federer at Wimbledon 2019, good strategy

1970s was the best for personalities and extreme rivalries.

I think we started going in the early 80s.  Post Borg, but Mac, Jimmy, Lendl, Becker, Evert, Marina, etc.  I remember watching Stefen Edberg as a teenager playing the junior tournament on the of the side courts, thinking, ‘wow, this kid is good!’

Nothing like going the first week and being able to hop around to different matches and seeing the crowd gather as word spread about an unexpectedly tight match.

44 minutes ago, The Plastic Cup said:

I think we started going in the early 80s.  Post Borg, but Mac, Jimmy, Lendl, Becker, Evert, Marina, etc.  I remember watching Stefen Edberg as a teenager playing the junior tournament on the of the side courts, thinking, ‘wow, this kid is good!’

Nothing like going the first week and being able to hop around to different matches and seeing the crowd gather as word spread about an unexpectedly tight match.

i try to get to see the pros in Toronto each August, the women command 1/4 the ticket cost of the men....

if you haven't seen the level of Nadal or Serena in public, please go at least once in your life, even for a who-cares exhibition

TV compresses the game, maybe the worst for sports, but the actual distance this ball is traveling in that short a time and the demands of coverage and movement are never forgotten the first time you see it.

5 hours ago, row_33 said:

i try to get to see the pros in Toronto each August, the women command 1/4 the ticket cost of the men....

if you haven't seen the level of Nadal or Serena in public, please go at least once in your life, even for a who-cares exhibition

TV compresses the game, maybe the worst for sports, but the actual distance this ball is traveling in that short a time and the demands of coverage and movement are never forgotten the first time you see it.

1) We saw Serena on a practice court at the Sony/Lipton/Ericsson/Miami Open years ago. She was cussing like a sailor at her hitting partner and smashing racquets left and right. THAT was the real Serena, the one who told the line judge she would shove that ball where the sun don’t shine. All this with little kids lined up along the fence and her father scowling at everyone watching. Changed my opinion of Serena for sure! (Meanwhile, Federer walks by playing and laughing with a couple dozen kids following him...LOVE that guy!) 

2) If you haven’t seen top level tennis in person, you have no idea what it’s like! On TV it looks.....interesting. In person it appears to defy the laws of physics! THAT tennis even sounds different! 

Edited by Augie
  • Thank you (+1) 1

22 hours ago, Another Fan said:

I haven’t watched it in years but the US Open used to be one of my favorite events too watch.  I have more in my head though Capriotti, the Williams Sisters, and Martina Hingis how ever long ago that was.  I

honestly never heard of Coco.  This was my favorite match ever:

I loved Pete! Put a dime at the T or out wide, and he could hit it with his serve! 

I do think yacking on the court is a violation, however. 

On 8/29/2019 at 11:39 PM, The Plastic Cup said:

Should I assume she is a BLUE plastic cup? Or perhaps fine crystal?

38 minutes ago, snafu said:

What a match is going on now! 6-7 in the 5th set. 

Berrettimi vs. Monfils. 

Mom here. The crowd is awesome. 

That was a great match.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Two great finals this year. Glad Nadal pulled it out, but that Mednedev was outstanding. 

WOW!!!  I flipped it over and Nadal had just gone up a break in the 3rd and I figured it was over.  Never turned it back.  Glad he held on, too!!

9 hours ago, Gugny said:

WOW!!!  I flipped it over and Nadal had just gone up a break in the 3rd and I figured it was over.  Never turned it back.  Glad he held on, too!!

Same here. Gave the dog a bath and washed his beds & toys, watched some of the Jints-Cowgirls game, made some luxurious French toast and bacon for dinner... and then a notification dinged after 9 p.m. that Nadal won in a five-setter. ?