Grits: Yes or no.

I'm from Buffalo, so I think grits are awful and there's no good reason to eat them.

23 minutes ago, teef said:

while we're at it, i also don't really enjoy hush puppies.  they're not bad, but they're not good.  maybe i don't like southern sides.

Nah, I'm with you on this. Southern sides are delicious when done right, but grits and hush puppies are never on my list.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Augie said:

I was kidding my wife she could take her out for polenta instead, but it would cost her twice as much! That made me google it....I think grits is made from white corn and pretty fine in texture, and polenta is made from yellow corn and more corse. Either way, you need to find a way to add flavor. No? 

I’ve never cooked polenta or grits, but my wife gets this dish with seared scallops and lavender polenta just about every time we go to our favorite local restaurant.  I’ve had polenta many times, but this is the best I’ve ever had.

Grits can be flavored in many different ways.  I’ve even seen people add honey or maple syrup.

5 hours ago, teef said:

while we're at it, i also don't really enjoy hush puppies.  they're not bad, but they're not good.  maybe i don't like southern sides.

Splash some hot sauce on those balls teef!

6 hours ago, Augie said:

Nope! I have a banana and skim milk every morning.

My wife came home from Boston a day early last week because a co-worker (born, breed and educated in NYC) in Atlanta for a few days. My southern wife took her to a 50’s style diner (OK Cafe for the locals) for breakfast so she could introduce her to grits. Her guest had an egg white omelette and grits. She looked down at her meal and said “Wow, I’ve never had an all white meal on a white plate. Not much to look at!” 

What did your wife say after she kicked the ***** out of that couthless woman?

7 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

Splash some hot sauce on those balls teef!

What did your wife say after she kicked the ***** out of that couthless woman?

A) My FIL was in the midst of chemo when I first met him. He showed me that Texas Pete is the only way to eat kibbeh, a middle eastern meat turd. He did it because he couldn’t taste the kibbeh, I followed him, because I didn’t want to taste the kibbeh. 

B) She did a very thorough job, and was a little too winded to say much of anything. 

25 minutes ago, Augie said:

A) My FIL was in the midst of chemo when I first met him. He showed me that Texas Pete is the only way to eat kibbeh, a middle eastern meat turd. He did it because he couldn’t taste the kibbeh, I followed him, because I didn’t want to taste the kibbeh. 

You’re kibbehing, right?

Just now, Cripple Creek said:

You’re kibbehing, right?

I don’t kibbeh about kibbeh! Or tabouleh for that matter! Who thought THAT was a good idea! It may be healthy, but if that’s what it takes to live for ever, I’ll leave after the third quarter to beat the traffic! ?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Augie said:

I don’t kibbeh about kibbeh! Or tabouleh for that matter! Who thought THAT was a good idea! It may be healthy, but if that’s what it takes to live for ever, I’ll leave after the third quarter to beat the traffic! ?

I love me some Middle Eastern food. That would be a good topic on its own.

23 minutes ago, Cripple Creek said:

I love me some Middle Eastern food. That would be a good topic on its own.

My Lebanese wife has countless cousins, who all have countless kids. Giant family, and VERY close. Every get together is nothing but Middle Eastern food. Going out to eat? Yep, you guessed it! Middle Eastern restaurant. Went to a destination wedding in the Bahamas a couple months ago. How did they get all that Middle Eastern food there? I KNOW it’s NOT on the menu at the resort! 

My first Thanksgiving with the future wife’s family I’m sitting at the table as one dish after another comes out. Kibbeh. Tabouleh. Hummus (which I actually love if it’s the good stuff!). Zaatar (nasty!). Grape leaves. On and ON! Everyone sits down, and the future MIL says, “oh, I forgot!”. Scooted into the kitchen and brings back a turkey that had been cooked an extra day or so. 

Don’t get me started on our 500 person wedding! The dozen people on my side of that deal were asking “what the hell is this stuff?” I’d tell them, “just go hit the bar”. 

Edited by Augie
  • Haha (+1) 2