Retired FB LeRon McClain Pleads for Help, "I have to get my head checked."

1 hour ago, Joe in Winslow said:

I get the desire to be sympathetic with these guys. But we're not talking about coal miners or steel workers injured on the job here.

We're talking about guys who voluntarily put their bodies out there to be wrecked in exchange for a LARGE paycheck.

not all get large paychecks. If Robert Foster gets a serious head injury or tears his knee and his career is over....does he leave the game a wealthy player? There are many who will leave the game not a rich as you think

Just now, nucci said:

not all get large paychecks. If Robert Foster gets a serious head injury or tears his knee and his career is over....does he leave the game a wealthy player? There are many who will leave the game not a rich as you think

non-vested.png

Would still get ALOT more than any other person that has to lose his career in 2 years

2 minutes ago, nucci said:

If I were 22 no student debt, and 200k in my bank account I’d be pretty well set up for life. He should generally live very comfortably.

reality is I’d be unlikely to have been either frugal or studious though, if completely honest with myself 

25 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I aint telling you what you can and can't do. Do whatever you want. I'm telling you I side with labor, point blank always. Players vs NFL? I'm with the players. MAJBob vs US government, I'm with the major. 

The top of that quote was not directed at you.

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

The NFL didn't put in the concussion protocol until 2013.....

First Concussion Guidelines in 1997 (Essentially the First Gen Concussion Protocol)

March 1997

NEW RETURN-TO-PLAY GUIDELINES

The guidelines from the American Academy of Neurology say that repetitive concussions can cause brain damage, and suggest that players be removed from the game if they lose consciousness or exhibit any concussion symptoms 15 minutes post-injury.

“Repeated concussions can cause cumulative brain injury in an individual over months or years,” the report warns.

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

Sure so McClain that started playing NFL in 2007 didnt know that Headblows are not good for you?  Really THAT is what you are going with

Bear in mind that he was likely playing at a high level of HS football beginning in 1999. Plus 4 years of AAA semi-pro ball at Alabama. 2007 ain't when he started.

3 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

If I were 22 no student debt, and 200k in my bank account I’d be pretty well set up for life. He should generally live very comfortably.

reality is I’d be unlikely to have been either frugal or studious though, if completely honest with myself 

There's no way $200k sets you up for life

I’m not here to start a war with my fellow Bills fans but I sure am about to fan the flames.....

If you really feel it is awful what is going on with NFL players, how can you tune in on Sunday’s and support that league?

32 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

I care it is sad he struggles (there does that make them feel better) BUT it was his choice, no reason to cry for more.

I care MORE about that HS player that has issues and GETS NADA

I care MORE about that College player that ISN'T compensated and his body and head used up.

This is about McClain and his 11M he made  and all the nice benefits that he still makes.

For a lot of these guys who were elite players starting at age 15 or so and who were tracked to football factories like Alabama, "choice" is a shaky concept.

Just now, dave mcbride said:

Bear in mind that he was likely playing at a high level of HS football beginning in 1999. Plus 4 years of AAA semi-pro ball at Alabama. 2007 ain't when he started.

So the NFL should have to shoulder the brunt of 8 years? When he only played for them for 6?  

7 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

First Concussion Guidelines in 1997 (Essentially the First Gen Concussion Protocol)

March 1997

NEW RETURN-TO-PLAY GUIDELINES

The guidelines from the American Academy of Neurology say that repetitive concussions can cause brain damage, and suggest that players be removed from the game if they lose consciousness or exhibit any concussion symptoms 15 minutes post-injury.

“Repeated concussions can cause cumulative brain injury in an individual over months or years,” the report warns.

https://www.si.com/nfl/nfl-concussion-protocol-policy-history

In 2013, the NFL announced the introduction a set of concussion assessment guidelines, which were developed by the league’s Head, Neck and Spine Committee in an attempt to better detect concussions during practices and games. The policy includes guidelines for sideline evaluation, as well as rules on preseason education, baseline testing and the establishment of personnel to conduct concussion evaluations. The protocol also includes a definition of a concussion and a list of symptoms, but notes that the list is not exhaustive.

AGAIN BOBBY...more research, more developments.  They've changed it since 2017 to make it more thorough.

You could literally go back into the game with a concussion.  How many times did you hear about Daryl Talley in steps 1-5 with his concussions?

I played in high school (for free because I guess I'm an idiot) and if the smelling salts woke us up, we were fine to go back in.  It's been done to me.

Edited by Royale with Cheese

For a lot of these guys who were elite players starting at age 15 or so and who were tracked to football factories like Alabama, "choice" is a shaky concept.

Who FORCED them to play? Their parents?

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

https://www.si.com/nfl/nfl-concussion-protocol-policy-history

In 2013, the NFL announced the introduction a set of concussion assessment guidelines, which were developed by the league’s Head, Neck and Spine Committee in an attempt to better detect concussions during practices and games. The policy includes guidelines for sideline evaluation, as well as rules on preseason education, baseline testing and the establishment of personnel to conduct concussion evaluations. The protocol also includes a definition of a concussion and a list of symptoms, but notes that the list is not exhaustive.

Yep the enhancement to the Return to play guidelines

Just now, MAJBobby said:

So the NFL should have to shoulder the brunt of 8 years? When he only played for them for 6?  

I'm not talking about that; not sure why you think i'm talking about liability (I'm not). I'm referring to the idea that guys entering the league in 2007 "knew what they were signing up for for" when they chose this path. News flash: if you're going to Alabama to play football, you are choosing at a young age to try and make it as an NFL player. People don't play for Alabama in order to rest on their laurels after a 4-year amateur career.

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

Who FORCED them to play? Their parents?

LOL. In a word, yes. Do you know anything about big time youth sports in America?

10 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

really?

I'm not talking about that; not sure why you think i'm talking about liability (I'm not). I'm referring to the idea that guys entering the league in 2007 "knew what they were signing up for for" when they chose this path. News flash: if you're going to Alabama to play football, you are choosing at a young age to try and make it as an NFL player. People don't play for Alabama in order to rest on their laurels after a 4-year amateur career.

LOL. In a word, yes. Do you know anything about big time youth sports in America?

Yep I played Big Time youth sports, and College Ball as well NOT once was I FORCED to play by my parents.  It was ALWAYS my choice.

Then again better hurry the Settlement is about out of Cash with 660M of the 1B obligated.  So only 340M left in the money grab and then we can stop hearing about it.

Just now, GoBills808 said:

That's not how it goes for everyone. 

Then maybe these players should go back to their PARENTS to float their Bills on this topic