Once upon a time in Hollywood any good ?

Teddy KGB

I've seen it 3x now. The 1st time I was a little disappointed cause I expected more Charlie & I didn't expect the ending, but now I love it. Yeah it's slow but I find it to be very rewatchable, so many great scenes and great acting, especially Brad Pitt and most especially Leo. "Those f'n hippies!":lol: YMMV, very polarizing.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Rico said:

I've seen it 3x now. The 1st time I was a little disappointed cause I expected more Charlie & I didn't expect the ending, but now I love it. Yeah it's slow but I find it to be very rewatchable, so many great scenes and great acting, especially Brad Pitt and most especially Leo. "Those f'n hippies!":lol: YMMV, very polarizing.

I’m going to give this a shot.

I for whatever reason didn’t like Inglorious Basterds the first time I watched it.  Now it’s one of my all time favorites.

11 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I for whatever reason didn’t like Inglorious Basterds the first time I watched it.  Now it’s one of my all time favorites.

I watched a QT marathon at home the week leading up to this (skipping Death Proof). It was the first time after one-and-done theater viewings that I saw IB & Hateful 8, and yeah, they were both better than I remembered. I'd put OUATIH above them & Django, but below his run from Reservoir Dogs thru the Kill Bills.

Edited by Rico
  • Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Rico said:

Often I spend the first viewing of a QT movie trying to understand WTF is happening and it's not till the 2d or 3d viewing that I really dig it.   Inglorious Bastards was in that category for sure, as were the Kill Bill movies.   I need to watch the H8 again.

7 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Thats me with wolf of Wall Street.     First time meh.   Now I can’t turn it off ever. 

9 hours ago, Rico said:

I watched a QT marathon at home the week leading up to this (skipping Death Proof). It was the first time after one-and-done theater viewings that I saw IB & Hateful 8, and yeah, they were both better than I remembered. I'd put OUATIH above them & Django, but below his run from Reservoir Dogs thru the Kill Bills.

If I ranked my Tarantino movies:

1. Pulp Fiction 

2. Inglorious Basterds

3. Reservoir Dogs

4. True Romance 

5. Django 

6. From Dusk til Dawn

7. KB 1

8. KB 2

9. The Hateful 8

10.  Frozen

The Bruce Lee part was hilarious (IMO).  I don't know why his daughter is upset.  

What I appreciate most, especially in retrospect, is the attention to the dialogue in his movies.  So many memorable lines.  

I'm disappointed that we will never have a Winston Wolff or a Vega brothers movie.  

• Like (+1) 1

I thought it was fantastic. Helps when you go in with at least a little bit of knowledge about the Manson family. So many subplots and clips from movies/TV shows the main character acted in that are just plain fun. The gratuitous violence that Tarentino is known for really doesn't come in until the end, except a few fist fight scenes, but totally worth it. 

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

1. Pulp Fiction 

2. Inglorious Basterds

3. Reservoir Dogs

4. True Romance 

5. Django 

6. From Dusk til Dawn

7. KB 1

8. KB 2

9. The Hateful 8

10.  Frozen

True Romance is one of my all time favorite movies. He wrote it but Tony Scott directed it.  

***very minor spoilers follow***

What Hollywood did with Manson was great. Kept me as a viewer really nervous through the movie about where that plot line was headed. 

The Bruce Lee scene was obviously just blowing up some statements for fun. Everyone take a deep breath. 

Lots of great cameos but I particularly enjoyed the short moment of Uma Thurman’s daughter Maya Hawke (for those not familiar with her work on Stranger Things, in this flick, she took off in the getaway car.)

Edited by Benjamin Franklin
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Benjamin Franklin said:

True Romance is one of my all time favorite movies. He wrote it but Tony Scott directed it.  

What Hollywood did with Manson was great. Kept me as a viewer really nervous through the movie about where that plot line was headed. 

The Bruce Lee scene was obviously just blowing up some statements for fun. Everyone take a deep breath. 

I actually loved that part of the movie.  I thought it was funny as hell.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

1. Pulp Fiction 

2. Inglorious Basterds

3. Reservoir Dogs

4. True Romance 

5. Django 

6. From Dusk til Dawn

7. KB 1

8. KB 2

9. The Hateful 8

10.  Frozen

Frozen may be at the bottom, but it did make a ton of $ for him.:D

I would say:

1. Pulp F

2. KB1

3. Jackie Brown

4. KB2

5. R Dogs

6. OUATIH

7. Django U

8. IB

9. H8

1 hour ago, Rico said:

Frozen may be at the bottom, but it did make a ton of $ for him.:D

I would say:

1. Pulp F

2. KB1

3. Jackie Brown

4. KB2

5. R Dogs

6. OUATIH

7. Django U

8. IB

9. H8

My top 2 are pretty set in stone.  The others, you could randomly place them in any order and I wouldn't argue.  I like them all.

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

1. Pulp Fiction 

2. Inglorious Basterds

3. Reservoir Dogs

4. True Romance 

5. Django 

6. From Dusk til Dawn

7. KB 1

8. KB 2

9. The Hateful 8

10.  Frozen

From Dusk til Dawn is a Robert Rodriguez film, not a Tarantino movie.

Really, your screen name is "Royale with Cheese," and you didn't know that?  You idiot.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I actually loved that part of the movie.  I thought it was funny as hell.  

Now Kareem Abdul Jabbar is upset with it. They all seem to be offended because they said he was never how he was portrayed in the movie and that it tarnishes his reputation and is against what he stood for. They say he never said he could beat Ali (Tarantino says he did) because he loved and respected Ali, and that he would never challenge people to a fight even though people always wanted to fight him.bthey say he was very respectful of stunt men and the lower rung people on the movie set which they claim his portrayal was the complete opposite, a cocky guy who would fight everyone and felt superior to those below him.

If your opinion of a real person changes because of a Tarantino film, you probably didn't know them that well anyway because his movies may be spun off of real people or events, but they aren't biographical or documentaries. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Benjamin Franklin said:

***very minor spoilers follow***

Lots of great cameos but I particularly enjoyed the short moment of Uma Thurman’s daughter Maya Hawke (for those not familiar with her work on Stranger Things, in this flick, she took off in the getaway car.)

I loved the movie. It's as much a love letter to TV and Movies of the early '70s as it is a reimagining of the Manson murders.

Speaking of Manson, for those of you wishing he had gotten more screen time, the same actor that played him is playing him as a featured part of the new season of Mindhunter.

https://screenrant.com/charles-manson-actor-damon-herriman-mindhunter-once-hollywood/

14 minutes ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

I loved the movie. It's as much a love letter to TV and Movies of the early '70s as it is a reimagining of the Manson murders.

Speaking of Manson, for those of you wishing he had gotten more screen time, the same actor that played him is playing him as a featured part of the new season of Mindhunter.

https://screenrant.com/charles-manson-actor-damon-herriman-mindhunter-once-hollywood/

Manson also makes an appearance on this season of Netfllix’s Mindhunter. 

1 hour ago, apuszczalowski said:

Now Kareem Abdul Jabbar is upset with it. They all seem to be offended because they said he was never how he was portrayed in the movie and that it tarnishes his reputation and is against what he stood for. They say he never said he could beat Ali (Tarantino says he did) because he loved and respected Ali, and that he would never challenge people to a fight even though people always wanted to fight him.bthey say he was very respectful of stunt men and the lower rung people on the movie set which they claim his portrayal was the complete opposite, a cocky guy who would fight everyone and felt superior to those below him.

If your opinion of a real person changes because of a Tarantino film, you probably didn't know them that well anyway because his movies may be spun off of real people or events, but they aren't biographical or documentaries. 

I don’t think QT is losing any sleep worrying about what Kareem thinks. :D

2 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

I thought Tex Watson was a competent murderer, but now I'm not so sure. :(

Pretty meh until Cliff Booth lit up that acid cigarette 

Then it was ON LIKE DONKEY KONG ! 

Cliff and Brandy rule.      

Couldve cut out every scene with Margot Robbie tbh.      She’s all smoke but the Polanski storyline was a bore.  

4 hours ago, ChevyVanMiller said:

A little Raylan Givens/Dewey Crowe never hurt anyone.      

14 hours ago, Pete said:

Brad Pitt kicking Bruce Lee’s ass?  Ok Hollywood 

Pretty badass scene for Pitt ??????

Edited by Teddy KGB

19 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

1. Pulp Fiction 

2. Inglorious Basterds

3. Reservoir Dogs

4. True Romance 

5. Django 

6. From Dusk til Dawn

7. KB 1

8. KB 2

9. The Hateful 8

10.  Frozen

If you took out the movies Tarantino didn't direct I agree with your rankings for the most part although I liked the 2nd Kill Bill better.  You forgot Jackie Brown and Death Proof.

Correct order is Pulp Fiction, Inglourious Basterds, Reservior Dogs, Django Unchained, KB 2, KB 1, The Hateful 8, Jackie Brown, Death Proof.