NFL head coach job-security rankings - McDermott Ranked 12th

MJS

An NFL.com Article by Dan Hanzus ranks all 32 NFL head coaches on job security. Surprisingly, McDermott is ranked pretty high at 12th. Here's the top 15:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001041522/article/nfl-head-coach-jobsecurity-rankings-whos-safe-on-hot-seat

1) Bill Belichick, Patriots

2) Sean McVay, Rams

3) Sean Payton, Saints

4) Jon Gruden, Raiders (Mostly because of his insane contract)

5) Doug Pederson, Eagles

6) Andy Reid, Chiefs

7) Frank Reich, Colts

8 ) Pete Carroll, Seahawks

9) Matt Nagy, Bears

10) Mike Tomlin, Steelers

11) Bruce Arians, Buccaneers

12) Sean McDermott, Bills

13) Anthony Lynn, Chargers

14) Bill O'Brien, Texans

15) Adam Gase, Jets

Here's what Hanzus had to say about McDermott:

" In 2017, his debut season in Buffalo, McDermott guided a talent-deficient Bills team to nine wins and the franchise's first playoff appearance in almost 20 years. The team dropped to 6-10 in Year 2, but the general feel around the Bills is that McDermott has the team going in the right direction, especially on the defensive side of the ball. McDermott will set himself up for years to come if second-year pro Josh Allen can develop into a reliable starter at quarterback. We shall see."

The bottom four, which he puts in the "Danger!" category include:

29) Matt Patricia, Lions

30) Doug Marrone, Jaguars

31) Pat Shurmur, Giants

32) Jay Gruden, Redskins

Discuss...

Edited by MJS

I agree with this article. I think McDermott’s job is pretty damn secure. The Pegulas seem to love him and he seems widely respected by most for the work he’s doing in Buffalo. 

I hope they do keep him around for a while. Like Art Rooney said, “hire the smartest guy in the room and give him the time and resources to figure it out”. 

IMO McDermott is the type of coach that is worth giving the time and resources to figure things out.  

• Like (+1) 9

5 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I agree with this article. I think McDermott’s job is pretty damn secure. The Pegulas seem to love him and he seems widely respected by most for the work he’s doing in Buffalo. 

I hope they do keep him around for a while. Like Art Rooney said, “hire the smartest guy in the room and give him the time and resources to figure it out”. 

IMO McDermott is the type of coach that is worth giving the time and resources to figure things out.  

McDermott has done a great job getting the Bills ready to play as a team.

I'm looking forward to seeing improvement on gameday adjustments (comes with experience) and really hoping his "red flags" improve.

He ain't going anywhere for at least 2 more.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

I agree with the McDermott ranking but I think there are some head scratchers on there. For instance, Tomlin is ranked 10th, but if they miss the playoffs again I could see his seat getting hot. Adam Gase is ranked 15th even though he was a failed coach who just got fired in Miami. If they are a disaster this season and all the egos collide, I could see him getting fired. Also, why would John Harbaugh be ranked so low? His team just made the playoffs with a running back at QB. His teams are usually competitive.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, MJS said:

I agree with the McDermott ranking but I think there are some head scratchers on there. For instance, Tomlin is ranked 10th, but if they miss the playoffs again I could see his seat getting hot. Adam Gase is ranked 15th even though he was a failed coach who just got fired in Miami. If they are a disaster this season and all the egos collide, I could see him getting fired. Also, why would John Harbaugh be ranked so low? His team just made the playoffs with a running back at QB. His teams are usually competitive.

1. Pitt is built on continuity. They do not lightly fire coaches. 

2. Gase is in his first year with a young QB. He will get a good amount of leeway. 

3. Harbaugh almost left this year. Its not a stretch that to think they may part ways if it doesn't work out this year. 

6 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

1. Pitt is built on continuity. They do not lightly fire coaches. 

2. Gase is in his first year with a young QB. He will get a good amount of leeway. 

3. Harbaugh almost left this year. Its not a stretch that to think they may part ways if it doesn't work out this year. 

Harbaugh signed a 4 year contract extension.

30 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

McDermott is a good coach and he is doing the best that he can considering the roster that he inherited, and the pains that it requires to rebuild a team. The resources are there, but really good players and building a cohesive and winning team take time.The Bills have to forget about Whaley and his flights of fancy as well. They may have to take a few risks to get some impact players here to finish this team. If they start winning, Buffalo will be a more popular destination for other players.

• Like (+1) 1

As an outsider looking in, it’s almost impossible to think that McDermott isn’t going to be successful.

He approaches everything the right way, his players belive in him, he’s clearly smart, a leader of men and he holds himself accountable.  

I cant remember a Bills coach in a long time that looked like this. Malarkey gave some hope, Marrone a little too...  but I don’t see results eluding Sean for much longer he’s the best they’ve had in two decades. 

Edit: and as a bonus, the GM which seems pretty good too, appears to be in lockstep with the head coach. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Quinn should be in the bottom 5.  "Riverboat Ron", too.

O'Brien would be way further down if he didn't make himself GM.

Ron Rivera is at 24th and Dan Quinn is at 25th. Both pretty low.

O'Brien has a .525 winning percentage. He has a young, potentially superstar QB. Out of his 5 seasons as a coach he has only one with a losing record and also has won the division 3 times (admittedly in a very weak division). I don't really see a reason why he should be ranked low.

Edited by MJS

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

As an outsider looking in, it’s almost impossible to think that McDermott isn’t going to be successful.

He approaches everything the right way, his players belive in him, he’s clearly smart, a leader of men and he holds himself accountable.  

I cant remember a Bills coach in a long time that looked like this. Malarkey gave some hope, Marrone a little too...  but I don’t see results eluding Sean for much longer he’s the best they’ve had in two decades. 

3 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Edit: and as a bonus, the GM which seems pretty good too, appears to be in lockstep with the head coach. 

I haven't experienced a coach and GM being so unified before. It's almost ... alarming.

I guess I don't understand what the author is ranking.  The likelihood that these coaches are fired before the season starts?  That's not going to happen to any of them so as of now, they all have 100 percent job security (except maybe Jay Gruden).  Mid-season?   Seems ridiculous to forecast that now.  Is he ranking the likelihood that these guys will be fired after this season?  If so, then he's trying to predict (1) how their respective teams will do this year, and (2) how able are they to withstand a bad season. 

I think McDermott is relatively safe because I think the Bills will win at least 9 or 10 games this year, but if the team finishes with 6 wins or less, all bets are off.  But that's probably true of most of these coaches.   

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Ron Rivera is at 24th and Dan Quinn is at 2th. Both pretty low.

O'Brien has a .525 winning percentage. He has a young, potentially superstar QB. Out of his 5 seasons as a coach he has only one with a losing record and also has won the division 3 times (admittedly in a very weak division). I don't really see a reason why he should be ranked low.

Rivera won his division with 7 wins a few years ago...

The Texans won the div last year, edging out the Colts.  Then, in the WC game, O'Brien and his superstar QB got their d**cks handed to them by those same Colts.

He's 1-3 in the playoffs.  If he doesn't get to the div game, he should go, but he's made sure that won't happen.

Just now, Seasons1992 said:

This is useless. Chuck Pagano signed an extension also and was fired not that far removed. Is he directing the Colts anymore?

Pagano was a horrible coach.  Simply awful.  No comparison to Harbaugh.

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

I haven't experienced a coach and GM being so unified before. It's almost ... alarming.

Doug said he and Rex used to finish each other's sentences. 

13 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Doug said he and Rex used to finish each other's sentences. 

In word, but not in deed. It was clear after time that they were pretty divided. Plus, both were bad at their jobs, so it doesn't matter if they were unified or not.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Seasons1992 said:

Not the point, however. The point is a contract extension "guaranteeing" the coach seeing the end of said contract.

Well, we all know that no coaching contract guarantees that.

The point was, despite Pagano signing such an extension, he was fired because coke-head Irsay finally realized the guy sucked as a HC.

Harbaugh is a good coach.

17 minutes ago, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I think you mean sandwiches.

Actually nevermind, neither of those guys leave a sandwich unfinished.

Whaley?

19 minutes ago, MJS said:

In word, but not in deed. It was clear after time that they were pretty divided. Plus, both were bad at their jobs, so it doesn't matter if they were unified or not.

Unified in their mutually adored ineptitude....

...and in Pegula's ultimatum, of course.

Just now, The Real Buffalo Joe said:

I read Doug, thought Marrone for some reason, and ran with it. Lol. Now that I think about it, wouldn't make much sense. 

Even Marrone laughed at Pegula's hiring of Rex after Doug himself took the money and ran.

• 2 weeks later...

Hold the Presses!!!   Click Bait title 

NFL.com pegs Sean McDermott Coach of the Year candidate

https://sports.yahoo.com/m/508e144c-ecc5-325a-8452-d00d00ebc4a7/nfl.com-pegs-sean-mcdermott.html

Direct Link

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2019/08/28/nfl-com-pegs-buffalo-bills-sean-mcdermott-coach-of-year-candidate/

NFL.com recently published a round table discussion between some of their analysts and Buffalo Bills head coach Sean McDermott received one voted as a potential Coach of the Year candidate.

But let’s face it, one is one more vote than most would have predicted he would get.

Edited by ShadyBillsFan

On 8/16/2019 at 12:16 PM, MJS said:

An NFL.com Article by Dan Hanzus ranks all 32 NFL head coaches on job security. Surprisingly, McDermott is ranked pretty high at 12th. Here's the top 15:

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001041522/article/nfl-head-coach-jobsecurity-rankings-whos-safe-on-hot-seat

1) Bill Belichick, Patriots

2) Sean McVay, Rams

3) Sean Payton, Saints

4) Jon Gruden, Raiders (Mostly because of his insane contract)

5) Doug Pederson, Eagles

6) Andy Reid, Chiefs

7) Frank Reich, Colts

8 ) Pete Carroll, Seahawks

9) Matt Nagy, Bears

10) Mike Tomlin, Steelers

11) Bruce Arians, Buccaneers

12) Sean McDermott, Bills

13) Anthony Lynn, Chargers

14) Bill O'Brien, Texans

15) Adam Gase, Jets

Here's what Hanzus had to say about McDermott:

" In 2017, his debut season in Buffalo, McDermott guided a talent-deficient Bills team to nine wins and the franchise's first playoff appearance in almost 20 years. The team dropped to 6-10 in Year 2, but the general feel around the Bills is that McDermott has the team going in the right direction, especially on the defensive side of the ball. McDermott will set himself up for years to come if second-year pro Josh Allen can develop into a reliable starter at quarterback. We shall see."

The bottom four, which he puts in the "Danger!" category include:

29) Matt Patricia, Lions

30) Doug Marrone, Jaguars

31) Pat Shurmur, Giants

32) Jay Gruden, Redskins

Discuss...

I think that Marrone is on the hottest seat.  I think that the playoffs are expected especially with Luck retiring.  I don't think that Indy free falls and can at least split the season series.  Marrone is not Bill B so I question that his crotchety routine is going to play well if the Jags are 4-8 going into December.  Marrone is probably already miserable knowing that his plan B aka being hired by the Jets got derailed this past offseason.  B level NCAA football here he comes!