Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
nucci

Report: NFL owners pitch 18-game schedule

Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

 

Sure they will. 

 

 

 

What are they giving up for 18 games

 

guaranteed contracts?

Franchise and Transition Tags?

earlier entry into UFA? 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

 

What are they giving up for 18 games

 

guaranteed contracts?

Franchise and Transition Tags?

earlier entry into UFA? 

 

 

Prorating their salaries.

 

There is no way they will give guaranteed deals to players. If they did, you would see 90 percent plus have one year deals after their rookie deals ran out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Binghamton Beast said:

 

Prorating their salaries.

 

There is no way they will give guaranteed deals to players. If they did, you would see 90 percent plus have one year deals after their rookie deals ran out.

 

Didnt answer the question. What would Owners give up to get an 18 game Schedule?  Prorating Salary isn’t it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

 

Didnt answer the question. What would Owners give up to get an 18 game Schedule?  Prorating Salary isn’t it. 

 

Yeah, I did answer the question. Just because I didn’t answer it the way you wanted doesn’t mean it wasn’t answered.

 

Your original statement was they would have to give guaranteed contracts. Ain’t happening. No way, no how.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/21/2019 at 2:25 PM, nucci said:

not for everyone

Mostly just those written by Jim Overdorf.

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

 

Yeah, I did answer the question. Just because I didn’t answer it the way you wanted doesn’t mean it wasn’t answered.

 

Your original statement was they would have to give guaranteed contracts. Ain’t happening. No way, no how.

 

Neither is a 18 game schedule

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sorry I missed the last 5 pages 

 

https://wgr550.radio.com/articles/news/mcdermott-prefers-keeping-it-four-preseason-games

 

Put Sean McDermott down on the “keep it the way it is” side when it comes to the debate over the number of preseason games each NFL teams plays.
 

The Buffalo Bills head coach sounds like he’s open to possibly having a three-game preseason, but made it clear he doesn’t think two would be a good idea.

 

“I honestly think we’re at a good number right now,” McDermott said about each team playing four exhibition games. “I say that, part of it is probably habit. As long as I’ve been in the league it’s been four. I think somewhere in that three-to-four range, you should know what you’ve got and how you want to shape it coming out of those three-to-four games.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not sure how much of an update this is (being ESPN and all)  

 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27474730/sources-owners-push-expanded-season

 

Sources: Owners push for an expanded season

 

Sources who have been briefed on the current state of CBA negotiations told ESPN that there has been little substantive progress in talks so far. The players' side is determined to up its share of the revenue pool in the next CBA, while the owners so far have indicated that they're not interested in discussing the revenue split absent a discussion on the possibility of expanding the season.

 

No concrete proposals have been submitted by the owners' side regarding the specifics of an expanded season, the sources said. Ideas that have been discussed include expanding the regular season to 18 games, expanding the regular season to 17 games or simply adding an extra round of playoffs. All of those concepts would include a reduction in the number of preseason games -- an idea both sides favor.

 

cont'd..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think a fair compromise would be an 18 game season with two byes and no preseason. 

 

Gives the league 20 weeks of live action, gives the fans 2 more real games, gives the players an additional week off during the season and no terrible preseason. 

 

Also, make the Hall of Fame Game a special game during the regular season. Maybe a Sunday night game halfway through the season. 

Edited by dubs

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There are 22 starters (ignoring kickers).  With 18 games that means you need to rest 1 player on offense and 1 player on defense every week. And for three games rest  2 on each side. Would hardly ruin the game. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe less preseason games but more practice time. All I know is that early season is sloppy as hell, sometimes it's hard to watch. Maybe it's always been that way but I don't remember it that way 

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

There are already over 250 regular season games. Can’t the league just figure out how to get more out of them? 

 

Because the owners need to start building up "negotiation capitol" for the upcoming collective bargaining talks.

 

They start the campaign for an 18-game season now, build as much momentum for it as possible, and then give way during negotiations so that the players association can claim a victory.

  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

 

Because the owners need to start building up "negotiation capitol" for the upcoming collective bargaining talks.

 

They start the campaign for an 18-game season now, build as much momentum for it as possible, and then give way during negotiations so that the players association can claim a victory.

 

Evil genius.

 

I knew a manufacturing supervisor in Germany that dealt with unions the same way. 

 

Creating leverage out of nothing 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

 

Because the owners need to start building up "negotiation capitol" for the upcoming collective bargaining talks.

 

They start the campaign for an 18-game season now, build as much momentum for it as possible, and then give way during negotiations so that the players association can claim a victory.

 

Their leverage is a lockout, or even a strike.   The owners have already been paid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It. Will happen at some point, at the same time, pot will not be tested for anymore, total team will go up to 63, and they will be able to dress 5 additional players on game day, and everyone will get a raise. Or something very close to this.

 

As Fans we really don’t care about players health in any real way, lip service sure, but that’s about it, so that’s a non issue for fans.

 

Go Bills!!!

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/23/2019 at 12:31 PM, ShadyBillsFan said:

sorry I missed the last 5 pages 

 

 

 

 

 

very wise

 

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just wanted to pop in one more time to say what an awful idea 18 games is. 

It's very clear that the fans don't want it, the coaches don't want it, the players don't want it. ONLY the greedy owners want it. 

Just an awful, awful idea. It's going to be a real bummer watching the NFL orchestrate its own demise in the coming years due to nothing more than greed.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Logic said:

I just wanted to pop in one more time to say what an awful idea 18 games is. 

It's very clear that the fans don't want it, the coaches don't want it, the players don't want it. ONLY the greedy owners want it. 

Just an awful, awful idea. It's going to be a real bummer watching the NFL orchestrate its own demise in the coming years due to nothing more than greed.

 

fans want it somewhat

 

nothing like having the hope that your team's 1-6 start can be brushed off for that second WC spot....

 

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...