Report: NFL owners pitch 18-game schedule

nucci

On 7/14/2019 at 10:36 AM, ColoradoBills said:

So if Shady and Gore split the 1st offensive play for each game who is the "regular" starter?

Any way you cut it, it's a stupid idea IMO.

Teams would have to designate to the league who their regular starter is. Yes, there would be bumps to work out, but it could work. And if Shady and Gore each started 8 games, the limits would not apply to them. The key is the teams would have a moral obligation not to pull anything shady.

3 hours ago, Tenhigh said:

I wonder if the players would take one more regular season game in trade for 2 less preseason games.

So, half of the league would have 9 home games and the other half 8?  I know, I know, one game could be played at a neutral site, teams could alternate the extra home game on an annual basis, etc.  But the logistical nightmare a 17 game season presents won't be worth the headaches.

Leave it at 16...less is more here.

Remove one preseason game, add a second bye week, that will generate more income than the 4th preseason game.  

If you want to remove a second preseason game then add teams to the playoffs.  I also think instead of a preseason game they could have some kind of fan appreciation event/pep rally at all 32 stadiums, make it a TV event where they bounce around from stadium to stadium.  Let the players speak to the fans, talk trash about the Pats etc.

18 games sucks

Edited by mattynh

45 minutes ago, mattynh said:

Remove one preseason game, add a second bye week, that will generate more income than the 4th preseason game.  

If you remove 1 preseason game some would have 2 home games and 1 away game with others 2 away games and 1 home game.

Do you not think there will be issues? 

It would also cost some teams money because they charge for all of the games and fans would demand that prices be reduced even though many complain about preseason game cost.  Also there are teams which do sell out preseason games plus get parking, concessions, sales, etc.

Because they add a week with same number of regular season games I do not think FOX and CBS will pay for extra week since not in contract.  Maybe ABC and whoever is doing Thursday night games.

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

If you remove 1 preseason game some would have 2 home games and 1 away game with others 2 away games and 1 home game.

Do you not think there will be issues? 

It would also cost some teams money because they charge for all of the games and fans would demand that prices be reduced even though many complain about preseason game cost.  Also there are teams which do sell out preseason games plus get parking, concessions, sales, etc.

Because they add a week with same number of regular season games I do not think FOX and CBS will pay for extra week since not in contract.  Maybe ABC and whoever is doing Thursday night games.

Three preseason games. Either alternate each year 1 home game then two home games.  Heck I would consider each team play at a neutral site for one preseason game.  That may help grow the key age.  Then Each team only has one preseason game.   Fans happy.  The teams would lose money on a preseason game but they would more than make it back with the extra week of tv revenue.  That is my point.  Tv out weighs game day revenue at a stadium. 

Easy hey NFL you want 18 games. Fine. NFLPA will give you 18 games. What you have to give up to get 18 games is just a little FULLY GUARANTEED CONTRACTS. 

On 7/17/2019 at 9:14 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

It's time to stop asking for more out of the players.  These guys kill their bodies for our entertainment, lets not kill it more.

Players will take an 18 game schedule. However in order to get it the Owners better be ready to pony up FULL GUARANTEED contracts. 

On 7/17/2019 at 9:36 AM, Tenhigh said:

I wonder if the players would take one more regular season game in trade for 2 less preseason games.

I don't know why people think taking out 2 pre season games would soften the blow of adding 1 or 2 regular season games. 

The starters barely play in game one of the pre season and they don't play at all in game 4. Effectively for the main players on the roster they only play 2 preseason games. 

• Like (+1) 1

Expanding the playoff format is a better idea then adding 2 games to the regular season IMO.

I think the players might be more agreeable. Towards the end of the season we have teams more interested in the next draft playing teams preparing for the playoffs.

I would prefer two 8 and 8 teams fighting to advance over a 14 - 2 team playing a 3 - 13 team in a meaningless game.

Edited by Figster

47 minutes ago, Figster said:

Expanding the playoff format is a better idea then adding 2 games to the regular season IMO.

I think the players might be more agreeable. Towards the end of the season we have teams more interested in the next draft playing teams preparing for the playoffs.

I would prefer two 8 and 8 teams fighting to advance over a 14 - 2 team playing a 3 - 13 team in a meaningless game.

Yup...expand the teams that make the playoffs from 6 to 8 in each conference.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

Yup...expand the teams that make the playoffs from 6 to 8 in each conference.

I like the idea of a bye week into round 2 as an incentive to finish in the top 2. Home field is nothing to sneeze at but the bye is a much greater reward and makes the regular season mean much more. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 7/18/2019 at 2:45 PM, MAJBobby said:

Easy hey NFL you want 18 games. Fine. NFLPA will give you 18 games. What you have to give up to get 18 games is just a little FULLY GUARANTEED CONTRACTS. 

Players will take an 18 game schedule. However in order to get it the Owners better be ready to pony up FULL GUARANTEED contracts. 

LOL.....guaranteed contracts will never happen in pro football.

Not a chance. 

They already have guaranteed signing bonuses.

15 hours ago, Binghamton Beast said:

LOL.....guaranteed contracts will never happen in pro football.

Not a chance. 

They already have guaranteed signing bonuses.

Then they will NEVER get their 18 games 

This would force huge changes in the game, particularly in the way rosters are built and evolved through the season. Quality QBs are already very hard to come by. With this, every team would NEED a quality backup QB who would get at least two starts a season. Not to mention safeties, kickers, punters, long snappers, etc.