Report: NFL owners pitch 18-game schedule

nucci

On 7/13/2019 at 10:54 AM, Limeaid said:

Do you play backups on road so crowd at hone does not complain they paid full price for seeing backups play?

I don't think coaches would buy into scheduling player breaks based on home fan reaction.  I think it would be based on strategy to try and win the most games.  Elite teams will believe they can beat the weakest teams on their schedule with a backup QB, and maybe a few more backups on the field than for some of the better teams on their schedule.  It could present a peculiar dilemma for cellar dwellers who might contemplate sucking for a top draft pick.  They might find themselves facing several teams with backup QBs, making it harder to lose while looking like you're trying to win.  As far as the preseason is concerned, 2 preseason games would force teams to use games more for preparation of their starters for the season, and there would be almost no evaluation of rookies in preseason games.  That would all take place on the practice field.  Once in a while a rookie comes along who in invisible in practice, but really shines when in an actual game situation.  There will be in increased risk of players like that falling through the cracks.

I don't the league is deadset on 18 games. I think the proposals will basically be a bargaining chip for the league. You want this...we want 18 games and then if they don't get 18 games, it will be all "oh, look at what we gave up in the 18 game season" and we'll have yet another laugh at how ineffectual De'maurice Smith is..

I'll quit watching this sport is they do something this stupid.  Not a fan and never will be of this.. The problem with this thought process is you will have to increase roster sizes and payrolls insurances etc.. to accomplish this... SO then I ask what is the purpose if increasing revenue is met with increased expenses and a watered down product...

On 7/14/2019 at 1:36 PM, ColoradoBills said:

So if Shady and Gore split the 1st offensive play for each game who is the "regular" starter?

Any way you cut it, it's a stupid idea IMO.

....better yet CB, does ONE play constitute "a game" in your allotment of 16?......what if Shady starts and gets dinged, with Frank being preserved due to 16 start limitation?.....Frank needs to enter the game as an injury fill-in?......does THAT now constitute a "game played" towards HIS 16?........quite the effed up idea only to avoid paying out 18/16 of player contracts.....eliminating two pre-season games (supposedly included in player contracts now) who many of the top dawgs see a series or so is the NFLPA bait?...um ok....

• Like (+1) 1

On 7/14/2019 at 1:36 PM, ColoradoBills said:

So if Shady and Gore split the 1st offensive play for each game who is the "regular" starter?

Any way you cut it, it's a stupid idea IMO.

McCoy and others would have to be declared inactive for the games, I would think....players won't agree to sitting out 2 games. It's a very stupid idea

Edited by nucci
  • Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, nucci said:

McCoy and others would have to be declared inactive for the games, I would think....players won't agree to sitting out 2 games. It's a very stupid idea

...LOL...Asinine 101.....I'm "deeply" touched with the Owners' genuine concern (COUGH) for player safety by proposing a 16 game per player max....nothing more than a financial skankfest ruse....I'm sure Demaurice and his gang are seriously considering it (BIGGER COUGH-ASTHMA style).....

• Haha (+1) 1

5 hours ago, T master said:

Why wouldn't they increase the roster size if they are going to add games which i think is stupid but i'm just a fan ! 

I've heard in the past they would do this by cutting the pre season yet i have heard other ex players & annalists say that even with the way the pre season is set up now & the lack of training camp with the CBA as it stands that it takes the players a couple of regular season games to get into actually game shape ? .

So lets add 2 more games to the season & take 2 games away from the preseason so then the 2 regular season games that it now takes the players to get into game shape turns into 4 games to get into game shape, but because the NFL can make more money ! 

Then having the possibility with leaving the roster at the same size & losing more players due to not being in game shape at the start of the season with the lessened amount of camp & pre season to get into said game shape makes a ton of sense to me :huh: !!

Probably just as much sense as this rant makes to all of you ? ...

NFL gets paid for preseason games and while some teams take a beating on preseason tickets sold at box office they still get money from season ticket holders.  This is more of an appeal to players since players have complained about playing in preseason game for a long time.  I agree completely regarding training camp and changes agreed to by NFL with NFLPA.  If they exchange two preseason games for two regular season games I do not envision a lot of fan protesting.  I do wonder when network partners will get the bill.

On 7/12/2019 at 6:05 PM, Doc Brown said:

Counterpoint:  The league makes at least over 8 billion dollars yearly in profit with the current system in place.

Counter to the counter!  (Just kidding.)

I think it's working for now but I think we're experiencing the later stages of peak NFL as the decade draws to a close.  I think there are some significant headwinds forthcoming.  Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered, as they say.  

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Big C said:

The player restriction is an interesting layer but I think the 16 game season is fine the way it is. 

This is mostly how I feel.  But then I think back to the end of every football season and I remember thinking, "damn this season goes too fast." 

This is one of those decisions that I'll be okay with, either way.

hate it, 16 is enough.  I like that it is divisible by 4, so the season is divided into 4  4 game quarters.

On 7/12/2019 at 6:13 PM, Logic said:

The fans don't want this. The players don't want this.

The ONLY group that wants this is the owners, which is a group of people who are already incredibly wealthy.

They just keep trying to fix what isn't broken. The NFL is the most popular sport in America, and they're hellbent on ruining it in the name of lining their pockets even more than they already do. It's incredibly sad and a real shame to watch.

Not sure I agree the players dont want it.  They would not want it for the same money but if the money goes up proportionally or if they get a bigger part of the revenue pie, they may be all for it.

12 hours ago, Gugny said:

This is mostly how I feel.  But then I think back to the end of every football season and I remember thinking, "damn this season goes too fast." 

This is one of those decisions that I'll be okay with, either way.

Well one of these days maybe we'll enjoy a longer Bill's season...

I do feel the same way, but that's kind of what makes the sport great. I am excited every Sunday, because the season is so short. 18 isn't a big deal but it may dilute the product some. At the same time, the added games and forcing players to miss at least 2 games a year can help with minor injuries throughout the season.

8 hours ago, mattynh said:

hate it, 16 is enough.  I like that it is divisible by 4, so the season is divided into 4  4 game quarters.

Not sure I agree the players dont want it.  They would not want it for the same money but if the money goes up proportionally or if they get a bigger part of the revenue pie, they may be all for it.

Its the weakest union of pro sports, by a long shot

they will be told what to do and will not get any extra share

6 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Its the weakest union of pro sports, by a long shot

they will be told what to do and will not get any extra share

Yup.  Average career span is about 3.5 years meaning the player's union can't afford a long lockout so they'll capitulate to a lot of owners demands. Also, zero alternative leagues to go to that pay them close to what the NFL does.  Very little bargaining power for the union and the owners know it.

15 hours ago, dpberr said:

Counter to the counter!  (Just kidding.)

I think it's working for now but I think we're experiencing the later stages of peak NFL as the decade draws to a close.  I think there are some significant headwinds forthcoming.  Pigs get fat, hogs get slaughtered, as they say.  

Maybe.  Maybe not.  I don't know if the NFL will ever lose it's "base" unless it drastically alters the game to the point where it's two hand touch.  There's just no other sport that compares to it.  The NFL HOF preseason game usually gets higher ratings than a Stanley Cup finals game.  Fantasy football and the current process of legalizing sports gambling will continue to make the sport popular. 

Unfortunately, the NFL will continue to try and appeal to a broader audience leading to more rules that favor the offense, more rules to protect the QB as it's a QB driven league, more games in other countries, moving smaller market teams to larger markets who have little interest in football (LA and Vegas for example), more prime time games during the week, and more dumb rule changes to make "boring" parts of the game more gimmicky like making the extra point 33 yards.

3 hours ago, Big C said:

Well one of these days maybe we'll enjoy a longer Bill's season...

I do feel the same way, but that's kind of what makes the sport great. I am excited every Sunday, because the season is so short. 18 isn't a big deal but it may dilute the product some. At the same time, the added games and forcing players to miss at least 2 games a year can help with minor injuries throughout the season.

Yep.  I see pros and cons.  I don't think I want more teams in the playoffs.  The beauty (to me) of a short season is that every game is important from week 1; especially for the "bubble" teams.  I wouldn't want that to go away.