2019 Hurricane Season

T&C

57 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

My sister is just shutting things off... Shutters closed, power and water off and leaving Stuart now.  She's right on the ocean, yards away.  Said... It was a ghost town.

Two highs.  One over the Ocean above.  One over The States.  Got no where to go, being blocked.  Like poster said, best bet, ride the groove between them if the high over Bermuda nudges east.

Not quite so Ex... there is a high in the Atlantic but a Low just off of the the south end of Florida's coast. Basically a funnel. If you are talking about the high in the central plains area then I can see this, although it won't be a factor here in FL.

What we need to happen is to have the high in the Atlantic weaken or move a little eastward. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

A. I'm pretty sure the owner is fully insured.

B. It's an f'ing golf course - get over it

The shame is that in order for that tiny piece of universal karma to happen people in West Palm Beach and several other much less well off places will get destroyed as well and they won't have the resources to that the owner of mar-a-lago does and I'm pretty certain that the owner of mar-a-lago doesn't give a damn about them to help them either so it would be best if that didn't happen. So, yeah, hurricanes are bad and I don't want people's stuff destroyed or for them to die.  I don't think the owner of mar-a-lago will be overly inconvenienced either way.

Yeah we get it, you hate Trump. What a clever way to let everyone know.

Edited by RaoulDuke79
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

My sister is just shutting things off... Shutters closed, power and water off and leaving Stuart now.  She's right on the ocean, yards away.  Said... It was a ghost town.

Two highs.  One over the Ocean above.  One over The States.  Got no where to go, being blocked.  Like poster said, best bet, ride the groove between them if the high over Bermuda nudges east.

Your sister is bit north of me.  Everyone in my 'hood is closing the shutters the last couple days, idiots are making runs on the gas station and grocery store way prematurely, etc.  The usual.

I think this one won't be a big deal for this area at least.  

• Like (+1) 1

I'm a firm believer in these little truisms:

Worry only takes in never gives.

Worry is interest paid on a loan that has yet to come due.

What, me worry?

Stuff like that. Plus, why trouble myself with worry about things completely out of my control?

But I understand realistic concern. And I've taken the opportunity to double check my supplies, just in case. Realized I needed a couple new flashlights. 

One thing that isn't mentioned much... if you find yourself in the path use your dishwasher. Important papers, jewelry, pictures, etc. 

Store what you can in there and then lock it... 

I'm tempted to put the ***** cat in there too. A prick cat from the first day.

4 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

I am either riding it out at home or going to my job where they have huge generators and since it is a food facility I will not go hungry.

Boca... please look at the first post of this thread, I have updated it to three specific models regarding the hurricane.

For anyone involved the news is slightly better, the trend is a bit more to the east... let us just hope that no part of the USA is affected and just a choppy ocean is left to deal with it.

3 hours ago, T&C said:

One thing that isn't mentioned much... if you find yourself in the path use your dishwasher. Important papers, jewelry, pictures, etc. 

Store what you can in there and then lock it... 

I'm tempted to put the ***** cat in there too. A prick cat from the first day.

That's a pretty sweet idea. Never thought of it.  I haven't taken any water in the past two hits, so I think I'm OK. But good to know in a pinch.

My trick (since this is what is important to me) is to freeze various sizes of water containers. Gallons, quarts, fat containers, slim containers. Then I can use then in my various coolers. I can put a smaller cooler in the freezer and one in the fridge. I have ice containers in the coolers, and in the freezer and fridge, too. So I can go a couple days and keep everything in good shape. And I only have cheap coolers. If I was really worried I'd have to go buy one of those expensive bad boys.

4 hours ago, The Dean said:

I'm a firm believer in these little truisms:

Worry only takes in never gives.

Worry is interest paid on a loan that has yet to come due.

What, me worry?

Stuff like that. Plus, why trouble myself with worry about things completely out of my control?

But I understand realistic concern. And I've taken the opportunity to double check my supplies, just in case. Realized I needed a couple new flashlights. 

We have WAY too much experience with this. But that’s what this life is for. You do what you can, then it just is what it is. God has a plan and we will see what it is in good time. A lot of bad things could happen. We try to wait, see what DOES happen, then deal with it. 

Think Serenity Prayer.  ?

We lived in prime hurricane territory for three decades. We were lucky, for the most part. I’d move back, at least part time, if I could. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Dean said:

That's a pretty sweet idea. Never thought of it.  I haven't taken any water in the past two hits, so I think I'm OK. But good to know in a pinch.

My trick (since this is what is important to me) is to freeze various sizes of water containers. Gallons, quarts, fat containers, slim containers. Then I can use then in my various coolers. I can put a smaller cooler in the freezer and one in the fridge. I have ice containers in the coolers, and in the freezer and fridge, too. So I can go a couple days and keep everything in good shape. And I only have cheap coolers. If I was really worried I'd have to go buy one of those expensive bad boys.

You reminded me of something... back in the late 60's early 70's you could buy a half gallon of milk in a cardboard container. My Mom use to rinse them out, fill them with water, and then freeze them when went camping at Letchworth. Tore off the cardboard and you had a block of ice.

Things are looking better for us , see post #1 for reference... hopefully Nobody takes a major hit, newest update at 11pm or so. 

1 hour ago, The Dean said:

We went through two hurricanes with prolonged outages (no flooding for us) a few years back and the only positive was we ate well. When you're not sure if you're ice will outlast the power outage and you don't have a generator it's an easy choice to eat the good stuff first.

Good luck to everyone in the path. I hope it fizzles out and damage is minimal.

• Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, T&C said:

Not quite so Ex... there is a high in the Atlantic but a Low just off of the the south end of Florida's coast. Basically a funnel. If you are talking about the high in the central plains area then I can see this, although it won't be a factor here in FL.

What we need to happen is to have the high in the Atlantic weaken or move a little eastward. 

Yeah the high on central part of country.  Like you said: "Funnel"... 

1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

We went through two hurricanes with prolonged outages (no flooding for us) a few years back and the only positive was we ate well. When you're not sure if you're ice will outlast the power outage and you don't have a generator it's an easy choice to eat the good stuff first.

Good luck to everyone in the path. I hope it fizzles out and damage is minimal.

For sure. The last two hurricanes I went to a chef friend's house for a few days. We ate and drank like kings. A small group of us, each bringing some of our best stuff (food, wine, booze, weed, etc). If there's going to be stuff lost or damaged, might as well get to enjoy the best stuff.

I vote for one a year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, The Dean said:

For sure. The last two hurricanes I went to a chef friend's house for a few days. We ate and drank like kings. A small group of us, each bringing some of our best stuff (food, wine, booze, weed, etc). If there's going to be stuff lost or damaged, might as well get to enjoy the best stuff.

I vote for one a year. 

Thinning of the herd, survival of the fittest applied inversely to food.

Again, if you're in harms way, hope whatever happens doesn't rise past the level of inconvenience/annoyance.