Tv streaming services

Steptide

So most of you Rochester directv customers probably noticed that we lost CBS on top of ABC, which we haven't had for a month now. I watch quite a bit of the local channels, so this is super annoying. I'm getting to the point where I'm ready to switch, however it seems alot of the major streaming services don't include alot of channels. I've only seen one streaming service that offers nfl network. Alot of streaming services don't include local channels. YouTube TV is the only one I've seen that includes all local channels based on your zip code. Also, Im finding the cost of streaming services isn't much less than my directv bill, and they have way less channels. 

So I guess I'm curious if anyone here uses them and what you think 

31 minutes ago, /dev/null said:

Raspberry Pi costs $35.  With case, power supply, and SDCard, it's about $45.  Add about 15 minutes of your time and you can stream anything on Reddit

Including Bills games?  Need a source while in Texas for the winter.

Locals will work fine with an antenna..we use Sling TV and they have CBS and Fox in DC. There are DVRs now that can record from streaming and OTA too. Sling with the sports package and DVR option is $35 a month I believe. 

15 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Locals will work fine with an antenna..we use Sling TV and they have CBS and Fox in DC. There are DVRs now that can record from streaming and OTA too. Sling with the sports package and DVR option is $35 a month I believe. 

For an elderly, you're pretty hip to modern technology!

• Haha (+1) 2

21 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Unfortunately not where I live. I have too many trees on my property. I already have an antenna and can only get one local channel that's shakey at best 

3 hours ago, Just Jack said:

Figure out what National channels you want or regularly watch. Then compare the different services to see who carries them. 

Hulu

Youtube

Sling TV

DirecTV Now

For locals, use an antenna. 

If you live in a valley antenna's are worthless

Fubu is way to go for sports.  You get EPL, rugby, Champions, formula one, YES, etc for $50 monthly.  I believe it’s another $8 and you get sports extra package- redzone and other great channels.  I had it, and will order again September for NFL, Champions league, and baseball.  I will pay extra for Sabre’s package too

and it’s non sports channels are great too Imo- vice, Sundance, and some others

Edited by Pete

13 hours ago, Mike in Horseheads said:

If you live in a valley antenna's are worthless

I'm down 17 from you in Binghamton and get all the locals with an indoor antenna just fine. Occasionally my Fox pixelates but not often. 

21 hours ago, Steptide said:

So most of you Rochester directv customers probably noticed that we lost CBS on top of ABC, which we haven't had for a month now. I watch quite a bit of the local channels, so this is super annoying. I'm getting to the point where I'm ready to switch, however it seems alot of the major streaming services don't include alot of channels. I've only seen one streaming service that offers nfl network. Alot of streaming services don't include local channels. YouTube TV is the only one I've seen that includes all local channels based on your zip code. Also, Im finding the cost of streaming services isn't much less than my directv bill, and they have way less channels. 

If you want to try using an antenna, the site linked below is very helpful.  Put in your address and it will tell you what your signal should be and the direction they are in.   Direction and height are everything.  Can't do much about distance.

I subscribe to cable but didn't want to pay for another box, so I built an antenna for the back room.  My results were predicted by the site.

http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

• Thank you (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Steptide said:

After decades of that scroll threatening to take basic network cable stations away, they finally did it?

***** !!!

14 hours ago, /dev/null said:

Then you can watch CNN.  And only CNN

What more do you need, better education than a book can give

5 hours ago, Greybeard said:

If you want to try using an antenna, the site linked below is very helpful.  Put in your address and it will tell you what your signal should be and the direction they are in.   Direction and height are everything.  Can't do much about distance.

I subscribe to cable but didn't want to pay for another box, so I built an antenna for the back room.  My results were predicted by the site.

http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Interesting. It says an indoor antenna shouldn't have any issue picking up my local channels. However I can't get any but one. Maybe I need a more expensive antenna 

2 minutes ago, Steptide said:

Interesting. It says an indoor antenna shouldn't have any issue picking up my local channels. However I can't get any but one. Maybe I need a more expensive antenna 

Or better placement.  Antenna are susceptible to interference from nearby electronics and signal strength varies thru housing materials (ie you get a stronger signal thru wood than brick)

If you're having problems with signal in one part of your home but better signal in another, you can use something like an HD HomeRun to distribute your antenna over ethernet to Smart TVs, Android devices (including FireTV), and Linux/Windows/Mac