Jump to content
Jukester

The Athletic - $24 for 1 year - today only

Recommended Posts

The Athletic is a big force in the NBA world, so its worth it just for that in my opinion. I honestly haven't even taken note of the Bills content over the last 1.5 years.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sorry. Can't imagine spending $24 just to read Tim Graham's BS columns.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

First time I've ever signed up to pay for reading content and it's totally worth it. Long-form actual journalism that involves research and interviews isn't around much anymore.  

Edited by ndirish1978

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I normally don't sign up for pay for news, but was intrigued enough to give it a try for $24. So far I like it. If I get one good article a month it is worth it for me. The renewal rate shows at $59.99 per year. I will decide next year if it is worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Jukester said:

To celebrate their 1 year Buffalo anniversary.  Not sure if this link will work for all but try it out.

Link

 

 

 

Thanks dude!  I just nabbed it too, been wanting to check it out.  Not sure its worth the money with so much content on Bleacher Report and other free sites...but for $24 it was worth sampling.  I do hear great things about it though, so looking forward to it.  

 

5 hours ago, JoeF said:

Sorry if this offends the Internet content should be free crowd...

 

That crowd never made sense to me...its not free to generate the content, why should it always be free to consume it?  UGC (User Generated Content) should be free...but companies hiring writers, traveling to cover stories, spending time and resources on research, etc etc...all takes money...and if no one is paying for it, there is no money to create it.  

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I highly recommend it to anyone on the fence.

 

It’s well worth the money if you like reading about sports. They’ve had some great Bills/Sabres stories too, so if you sign up make you to take the time and go through some of the old Bills/Sabres content. 

 

 

I would also recommend picking more than the Bills/Sabres as your teams. You’ll see a lot more new content daily if you do. 

 

For a while I had the Bills/Sabres/NHL/NFL as “my teams” and I kept wondering why I didn’t see some of these stories written about other teams that people were sharing. Well I realized that I’d only see them if I clicked on that specific team’s name. They don’t automatically show up in your personal feed. 

 

So now I picked every NFL and NHL team to follow and there is an insane amount of new content to sift through every day. 

 

 

40 minutes ago, FTLBillsfan said:

I normally don't sign up for pay for news, but was intrigued enough to give it a try for $24. So far I like it. If I get one good article a month it is worth it for me. The renewal rate shows at $59.99 per year. I will decide next year if it is worth it.

Just FYI If you like it, instead of paying full price you can send yourself a gift subscription to get a discount (an athletic employee informed me of this). One year is 20% off. 2 years is 33% off. 

 

Also, for everyone you refer you get a $10 amazon gift card and they get 15% off the subscription cost. 

Edited by BillsFan4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just saw this tweet and figured I may as well post it here. 

 

7 day free trial (not sure if it expires or they offer it all the time?)

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, QCity said:

I've had it for over a year and it's probably not worth it's $120 annual sub fee.

 

But $24? Yeah, sure. You can judge for yourself at a cheap price.

 

$60 is full price I think

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just signed up. Does anyone know if I can cancel now and continue my 1 year of access without the risk of auto renewal?  I don’t want to forget to cancel before getting hit with $60 charge. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, QCity said:

I've had it for over a year and it's probably not worth it's $120 annual sub fee.

 

But $24? Yeah, sure. You can judge for yourself at a cheap price.

Exactly. Worth $2 a month to try it out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

 

Thanks dude!  I just nabbed it too, been wanting to check it out.  Not sure its worth the money with so much content on Bleacher Report and other free sites...but for $24 it was worth sampling.  I do hear great things about it though, so looking forward to it.  

 

 

That crowd never made sense to me...its not free to generate the content, why should it always be free to consume it?  UGC (User Generated Content) should be free...but companies hiring writers, traveling to cover stories, spending time and resources on research, etc etc...all takes money...and if no one is paying for it, there is no money to create it.  

Money is made by advertising. That’s the whole point; to reach as many people as possible. 

 

Paying to read something is ridiculous, in concept alone...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
13 minutes ago, Chill said:

Money is made by advertising. That’s the whole point; to reach as many people as possible. 

 

Paying to read something is ridiculous, in concept alone...

 

Yet people complain about ads too.  Ya know some people prefer to pay for better content and no ads instead of free content with ads rammed down your throat.  

 

Also, internet CPM ad rates are terrible revenue and need massive volume just for peanuts.  Quality costs money, and clicks aren’t always going to get you there.

Edited by Alphadawg7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, chknwing334 said:

Just signed up. Does anyone know if I can cancel now and continue my 1 year of access without the risk of auto renewal?  I don’t want to forget to cancel before getting hit with $60 charge. 

That’s my worst fear about these things! I already know America’s Test Kitchen was not something I want to renew, and I have a tab up on my iPad with some number to call and cancel for next year.....after a month or so. I have weak moments.....I’m about to re-up for MasterClass though. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You allsign up and come back and tell us everything 

 

thanks

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Augie said:

That’s my worst fear about these things! I already know America’s Test Kitchen was not something I want to renew, and I have a tab up on my iPad with some number to call and cancel for next year.....after a month or so. I have weak moments.....I’m about to re-up for MasterClass though. 

 

Master Class is pretty awesome

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

 

Master Class is pretty awesome

 

I loved it for all the cooking classes (Thomas Keller, especially), then slowed down. They didn’t cancel me until I got hooked on the Penn & Teller sessions. Half way through I want to re-up for that, but also want to try the writing classes. It’s great if you have time on your hands and interests that line up. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I signed up last summer and have been glad I did... not just for Bills coverage ( I really like Fairburn's stories), but also they have pretty good Fantasy football coverage if you are into it.  Jake Ciely and other writers provide great content throughout the season.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chill said:

Paying to read something is ridiculous, in concept alone...

 

Really??!?! Ever buy a thing called a book? Man what is this world coming to?!?!

  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Chill said:

Paying to read something is ridiculous, in concept alone...

 

As someone who didn't grow up with the internet, this is crazy to read.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Augie said:

 

I loved it for all the cooking classes (Thomas Keller, especially), then slowed down. They didn’t cancel me until I got hooked on the Penn & Teller sessions. Half way through I want to re-up for that, but also want to try the writing classes. It’s great if you have time on your hands and interests that line up. 

 

Ha same here!  But also enjoyed the Steph Curry class and Negreanu class too, but cooking ones were my fave.  

 

Watch the new Netflix show “The Chef Show” and also “Salt, Fat, Heat, Acid” -  both are excellent if like cooking content

Edited by Alphadawg7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, mead107 said:

You allsign up and come back and tell us everything 

 

thanks

 

I signed up.  I enjoy the content.  Seems well worth the $24 and likely worth the $60.  Id day it depends on your love of sports.  I’m all sports all day everyday so it’s great for me.  If you only care about reading about the local teams, it may not be worth it.  If you are homeless, it may not be worth it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...