5 Buffalo Bills under most pressure to perform in 2019

16 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

McD is top of list. This is his roster now. It's his second OC. Anything less than a winning season and he is done. 

Needs better clock managment at end of half, be a little less reliant on Hauschka from 50+, take some chances on offense, and find a pass rush.  

I want McD to improve on gameday as well but I think you'll find that in general, a coach's likelihood to take more chances on offense is directly related to his confidence in the offense.  Did you have confidence in the offense last year?  If you answer that question in any way other than "hell, no" you're not being honest.

I don't really believe McD is a "conservative" guy who wants to win defensive struggles.  We'll get a chance to find out now that the offense is in its second year under the same system and Josh has had a full year of growth.

37 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

McD is top of list. This is his roster now. It's his second OC. Anything less than a winning season and he is done. 

Needs better clock managment at end of half, be a little less reliant on Hauschka from 50+, take some chances on offense, and find a pass rush.  

...sorry, not happenin'......it's taken a helluva lot to assemble 90 strong going into OTA's and TC and rest assured, there WILL be some football talent in those 37 cuts......when the hell is the last time going back to the "drought" that we potentially had personnel conundrums on the POSITIVE side?....there is a ton of newness from personnel down to positional coaches.......significant improvement over 6-10 as a reasonable expectation?...of course.......at the same time, there are a multitude of variables where 9-7 gets in as WC or misses, or even 10-6 snares a WC spot.....care to tell me that when Brady went out in 2008 and Cassel led the Pats to 11-5 that you predicted they would MISS the playoffs?....yup, "HE'S DONE"..... would be great so we can start all over again...go figure.....

3 hours ago, HOUSE said:
Posted Jun 8, 2019
The Bills need Josh Allen to take the next step in his development in 2019.

Getty Images

The Bills need Josh Allen to take the next step in his development in 2019.

By Ryan Talbot | rtalbot@nyup.com

The regular season is about three months away, but it’s never too early to look ahead to the 2019 season.

Entering the year, there are a few Buffalo Bills who will be put under the microscope and every situation is different. Whether it’s fighting to hold onto a starting spot, playing for a big pay day, living up to your contract, improving your Hall of Fame chances or--most importantly--determining the team’s fate, a few players are under more pressure than others.

Here’s a look at five Bills who are under the most pressure to perform in 2019.

ORCHARD PARK, NY - DECEMBER 11: LeSean McCoy #25 of the Buffalo Bills runs onto the field before the game against the Pittsburgh Steelers at New Era Field on December 11, 2016 in Orchard Park, New York. (Photo by Brett Carlsen/Getty Images)

Getty Images

ORCHARD PARK, NY - DECEMBER 11: LeSean McCoy #25 of the Buffalo Bills runs onto the field before the game against the Pittsburgh Steelers at New Era Field on December 11, 2016 in Orchard Park, New York. (Photo by Brett Carlsen/Getty Images)

RB LeSean McCoy

LeSean McCoy is coming off of the worst season of his professional career. His 514 yards rushing and 3.2 yard per carry average were both career lows. Was it the fault of his offensive line in 2018 or has McCoy lost a step?

That’s an answer we’ll find out in 2019. Buffalo was aggressive in addressing their offensive line this offseason and the unit in front of McCoy should be able to create running lanes more successfully than the unit it replaced.

McCoy is under pressure to perform to keep his NFL career alive. While this very well could be McCoy’s last season in Buffalo, he can extend his career with a solid season in Buffalo. McCoy probably needs about 1,500 more yards rushing to solidify his Hall of Fame chances. The only running backs with at least 12,000 yards rushing to not be in the Pro Football Hall of Fame are Frank Gore, Adrian Peterson and Edgerrin James. Gore and Peterson--both active--are Hall of Fame locks while James should eventually get enshrined.

Image result for shaq lawson

DE Shaq Lawson

The Bills declined to pick up Shaq Lawson’s fifth-year option in early May. The decision simply came down to Lawson not meeting expectations as a former first-round pick. If Lawson wants to receive a big payday in 2020--from the Bills or elsewhere--he needs a big 2019 campaign.

To Lawson’s credit, the defensive end is well aware of the pressure that he faces this season.

“No, I ain’t concerned. It’s motivation. I know what time it is. It’s do or die,” Lawson told The Buffalo News. “I’ve been through a situation like this before. It’s just a small step. Me, I’m just gonna go out there and ball this year and see where everything falls.”

Lawson has been strong against the run since entering the NFL, but he hasn’t developed enough as a pass-rusher. In three seasons, Lawson has 10 total sacks with no more than four in an individual season. If he hopes to cash in following the 2019 season, Lawson needs to get close to his career sack total this year alone.

EAST RUTHERFORD, NEW JERSEY - NOVEMBER 11: LeSean McCoy #25 of the Buffalo Bills is congratulated by his teammates Dion Dawkins #73 and Jordan Mills #79 after his first quarter touchdown against the New York Jets at MetLife Stadium on November 11, 2018 in East Rutherford, New Jersey. (Photo by Michael Owens/Getty Images)

Getty Images

EAST RUTHERFORD, NEW JERSEY - NOVEMBER 11: LeSean McCoy #25 of the Buffalo Bills is congratulated by his teammates Dion Dawkins #73 and Jordan Mills #79 after his first quarter touchdown against the New York Jets at MetLife Stadium on November 11, 2018 in East Rutherford, New Jersey. (Photo by Michael Owens/Getty Images)

OT Dion Dawkins

Dion Dawkins should feel good after receiving all the first-team reps at left tackle during OTAs, but pressure will get ramped up at training camp.

Dawkins is coming off of a disappointing sophomore season with the Bills and has legitimate competition waiting in the wings. With the Bills giving Cody Ford a chance to win the right tackle job, Ty Nsekhe--a free addition--finds himself in a backup role at this time. Nsekhe held his own in Washington at left tackle when Trent Williams was out of action and could push for a starting job.

More

https://www.newyorkupstate.com/buffalo-bills/2019/06/5-buffalo-bills-under-most-pressure-to-perform-in-2019-josh-allen-lesean-mccoy-more.html

Good stuff from our boy @RyanTalbotBills.  If I were to put a ranking on who is under the most pressure, here’s how they would shake out:

1. Josh Allen - the face of the franchise.  Buffalo has invested a lot in his development, some people might think Beane and McDermott’s jobs are tied to his success.  He needs to show improvement this year.

2. Shaq Lawson - literally playing for a new deal.  

3. Trent Murphy - could very well be playing for his job in 2020.  There’s a good chance he gets cut from his deal if he doesn’t produce.

4. Zay Jones - Time is running out for Zay.  If he doesn’t show improvement, he likely will get his option declined and is unlikely to be back in Buffalo.

5. Dion Dawkins - same as Zay.  Only difference is that linemen clean up in free agency - especially someone who can play LT.  If he leaves Buffalo, he’ll get a good deal elsewhere.

I left McCoy off the list only because at his age, I don’t see more pressure than the others.  Yes he wants to keep his career alive but I also think he quits before he lets himself struggle on the field.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

...sorry, not happenin'......it's taken a helluva lot to assemble 90 strong going into OTA's and TC and rest assured, there WILL be some football talent in those 37 cuts......when the hell is the last time going back to the "drought" that we potentially had personnel conundrums on the POSITIVE side?....there is a ton of newness from personnel down to positional coaches.......significant improvement over 6-10 as a reasonable expectation?...of course.......at the same time, there are a multitude of variables where 9-7 gets in as WC or misses, or even 10-6 snares a WC spot.....care to tell me that when Brady went out in 2008 and Cassel led the Pats to 11-5 that you predicted they would MISS the playoffs?....yup, "HE'S DONE"..... would be great so we can start all over again...go figure.....

You're actually comparing Sean McDermott's situation with the Bills in 2019 to Bill Belichick's situation with the Patriots in 2008????  :wacko:   Seriously? Belichick had won 3 Lombardi trophies going into 2008.  Sean McDermott has 1 playoff loss in a wild card game, 9 blow out losses over 2 seasons, and virtually an entirely new offensive coaching staff because his first crop of offensive coaches were so incompetent going into 2019.   I suppose in some alternative universe these two situations could be considered similar, but unfortunately, not in the one we inhabit.

I am going to be different here and place pressure on Cody Ford. For the better part of decades, the right side of the Bills OL has been manned by various  stumblebums. I am talking about some of the worst blockers in the NFL.

I am convinced that if Ford is as good as I think he can be, he could change the dynamic of the entire offense and even help the defense in terms of T.O.P.

Jmo.

• Thank you (+1) 2

I'm struggling with this and maybe it's because of the word pressure.  I just get that feeling that's not a word associated with anyone because I don't think that's the culture.  I think there's a ton of competition in a lot of areas and the players know this - it's obvious.  

If there's a group I'm concerned about the most it's the TE's.  I liked the Kroft signing more than most but him being sidelined is some really bad timing.  I guess it's about a 6-8 week process to get him back and that will leave him with just a few weeks before the first pre-season game.  

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

I am going to be different here and place pressure on Cody Ford. For the better part of decades, the right side of the Bills OL has been manned by various  stumblebums. I am talking about some of the worst blockers in the NFL.

I am convinced that if Ford is as good as I think he can be, he could change the dynamic of the entire offense and even help the defense in terms of T.O.P.

Jmo.

Good to hear from you.  Surprised that you have picked an OL and not the starting DBs of the team ?

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, White Linen said:

I'm struggling with this and maybe it's because of the word pressure.  I just get that feeling that's not a word associated with anyone because I don't think that's the culture.  I think there's a ton of competition in a lot of areas and the players know this - it's obvious.  

If there's a group I'm concerned about the most it's the TE's.  I liked the Kroft signing more than most but him being sidelined is some really bad timing.  I guess it's about a 6-8 week process to get him back and that will leave him with just a few weeks before the first pre-season game.  

Speaking of TE’s Jason Croom is a good candidate for this list!

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:
  1. Shaq Lawson - One of the last Pre-McBeane players on the roster.  Seemingly been on the bubble for 2 seasons now but showed some growth last year.  They declined the option, so Shaq is now playing for his future here or future FA.  If he wants to be a starter in the NFL, its going to come down to this year IMO.
  2. Zay Jones - Facing more competition this year and needs to take a step forward after a bad rookie year and a meh 2nd year. 
  3. Dion Dawkins - We brought in like 90 new OL, he has no leash.  I do think he will respond well to having more talent around him like he did his rookie year though, but there are multiple guys now who could take his job if he struggles.  
  4. Trent Murphy - Needs to show he can be a starting DE and stay healthy or he will be out of a job here next year.
  5. LeSean McCoy - I had a hard time putting him on this list as this is most likely his last year regardless of what he does.  However, he will be under a lot of pressure to remain the starter all year.  Gore may be older, but he was way more productive last year behind a pretty bad OL himself.  And Devin I think is going to surprise some people and be a hard guy to keep off the field.  

That would be my list.

I agree with selections 1-3 even if I don't agree completely with your descriptions.  

I'd remove Murphy because although it is important for him personally, expectations are low and he doesn't move the needle with the fan base.  

I'd remove Shady for the opposite reasons.  He is on the back nine and his career story, a strong one, is mostly written.  He can help the team but he needn't be the cornerstone.

I'd add:

Allen because 2019 has to be the year he solidifies his leadership.  That isn't easy.  He doesn't have to turn into Jim Kelly yet but he can't end the year with big question marks outstanding.

The last one is tricky but I'll go with Edmunds who is under pressure to emerge as the leader of the defense.  It's as big a year for him as it is for Allen.

10 minutes ago, ganesh said:

Good to hear from you.  Surprised that you have picked an OL and not the starting DBs of the team ?

I missed Bill too but the return of the word stumblebum is also a nice bonus.

• Like (+1) 3

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Yeah I didn't really get that choice either.  He is just going to be in a rotation this year, Oliver is the penciled in starter and we still have Jordan too.  So I cant really see how Harrison is under any big pressure right now.  Now had we not drafted Oliver, then yes I could see it as Harrison would be looked to be a bigger contributor and more of a Kyle replacement.  But when Oliver landed in our lap, that all went out the window and now just dont see him as under pressure.

I think it's fair to place H. Phillips on the list. He didn't show a ton as a rookie and this will be his opportunity to step up or perhaps find himself hopping from team to team for a few years. He's got to make the most of his opportunities. 

People got caught up in the Kyle comparisons when he was drafted, but the fact is he's an unproven 2nd year player who didn't flash as a rookie. It's not really critical for the Bills as a whole that Phillips steps up, but it's critical for his career trajectory.

• Like (+1) 3

5 hours ago, SoTier said:

I don't think Jones is under that much pressure to at least make the team simply because his competition for a WR spot is mostly UDFAs or refugees from the practice squad.  I do think he needs to step up his game if he's going to stick with the Bills beyond his rookie deal, however.

I think that Allen is under much more pressure than the article indicated because he's under pressure for his personal career, but his performance also impacts the team to a far greater degree than any other player.  I disagree that 2019 isn't a make or break year for Allen.  Young QBs who are going to become good/great QBs show that talent early on, and especially in their second seasons.  If Allen doesn't play significantly better early in this season than he did late last season, that's a big red flag.  If he's better early on but doesn't continue to improve his play over the season, especially in the cerebral part of the game, he's probably never going to develop into a real franchise QB.  In that case, he'd likely be just another first round draft pick who gets four or five years --- possibly even a second contract as Sanchez and Tannehill did -- to prove he's not much more than an adequate backup.   The Bills might win some games with that kind of QB -- Jacksonville almost went to the Super Bowl with Bortles in 2017 -- so he could still have a positive impact on the team for a time, but in the end, he'll never be the real solution for the team.   So, it's a double whammy for Allen.

The article -- and the thread -- is about players who are under pressure.  If it were about coaches, McDermott would be at the head of the list if the offense stinks as badly as it did last season since McDermott is ultimately responsible for selecting his assistants.  He can't be considered a competent HC if he hires two duds at OC within three years.  He needs to return to being a DC.

Did any of you see the roster last year.  Its not possible for it to be worse with the current roster.  Some of the depth players are better than last years starters.

Edited by formerlyofCtown

25 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I agree with selections 1-3 even if I don't agree completely with your descriptions.  

I'd remove Murphy because although it is important for him personally, expectations are low and he doesn't move the needle with the fan base.  

I'd remove Shady for the opposite reasons.  He is on the back nine and his career story, a strong one, is mostly written.  He can help the team but he needn't be the cornerstone.

I'd add:

Allen because 2019 has to be the year he solidifies his leadership.  That isn't easy.  He doesn't have to turn into Jim Kelly yet but he can't end the year with big question marks outstanding.

The last one is tricky but I'll go with Edmunds who is under pressure to emerge as the leader of the defense.  It's as big a year for him as it is for Allen.

I missed Bill too but the return of the word stumblebum is also a nice bonus.

Good post, i mostly agree with this.  I didn’t really want to put Shady on here either for same reasons, but if I am looking at what players will have pressure to perform, he still fits that description of facing some pressure this year given we have 3 other RBs now pushing him for playing time in Gore, Devin, and Yeldon.

The main reason I didn’t add Allen is I think he’s going to get some cushion on the pressure this year.  It’s his 2nd year, but first year starting from the get go.  I think given he was raw coming out of college, has lots of new pieces around him that modest progress would keep pressure off of him and the real pressure will be year 3 to make a deep playoff push.

But also don’t really disagree with him being on the list either given his hot end to season has set some higher than expected expectations.  I just think the pressure won’t be too bad as long as there is at least modest progress.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

24 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Good post, i mostly agree with this.  I didn’t really want to put Shady on here either for same reasons, but if I am looking at what players will have pressure to perform, he still fits that description of facing some pressure this year given we have 3 other RBs now pushing him for playing time in Gore, Devin, and Yeldon.

The main reason I didn’t add Allen is I think he’s going to get some cushion on the pressure this year.  It’s his 2nd year, but first year starting from the get go.  I think given he was raw coming out of college, has lots of new pieces around him that modest progress would keep pressure off of him and the real pressure will be year 3 to make a deep playoff push.

But also don’t really disagree with him being on the list either given his hot end to season has set some higher than expected expectations.  I just think the pressure won’t be too bad as long as there is at least modest progress.  

I think your description of pressure on Allen is the way it should be but not the way it will be.  If he looks good and makes progress in every area but one, the media is likely to harp on it.  Let's just say he misses on some short passes in key spots.  He will be left open to the "inaccurate" label. He was not the anointed can't miss kid like Luck so media focus could end up negative.  Luck misses some bunnies but they aren't mentioned.  That said I think he can take it and I don't think unfair pressure will come from OBD.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

Yeah. They should have defined personal pressure vs team pressure. If we're talking team pressure, JA is obviously number 1. If we're talking personal pressure, it's pretty much any fringe player.

11 hours ago, LSHMEAB said:

I think it's fair to place H. Phillips on the list. He didn't show a ton as a rookie and this will be his opportunity to step up or perhaps find himself hopping from team to team for a few years. He's got to make the most of his opportunities. 

People got caught up in the Kyle comparisons when he was drafted, but the fact is he's an unproven 2nd year player who didn't flash as a rookie. It's not really critical for the Bills as a whole that Phillips steps up, but it's critical for his career trajectory.

It generally takes DTs who aren't high first round draft prospects about 3 years to reach their potential, so I don't think 2019 is a make or break year for Harrison, so not so much pressure. He may also play a different, "quieter" style in which he plugs holes and takes up space rather than collapses the pocket and sacks QBs.  I think that Phillips needs to show solid improvement, but he could very well never "flash" and still be a good NFL DT.  Remember that Kyle Williams took more than a couple of years to become first a competent DT, and then a top one.

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

Jmo.

I'll agree with you but for a different reason.  At some point this FO needs to start having some of their day 1 & 2 draft picks work out, more so than they are.  

White has been good despite a sophomore slump.  Jones hardly, and he hasn't lived up to his draft status nor even close.  Dawkins has been tremendously inconsistent, to inconsistent to render him worth a 2nd round pick.  

Allen remains to be seen and this will be a defining year if only in terms of the leap he needs to make as a passer.  But Phillips wasn't great either.  Edmunds is still among the  youngest players in the league and I suspect that he'll be fine.  

Oliver and Ford top that list for me immediately after Allen.  I have no idea why Lawson is even on there.  He's a known quantity and has slim-to-nil chance to even come close to justifying the Bills' faith in him as the 19th overall four years ago.  Shady's 31, he's had a great career, if he makes a major upturn it will be highly unusual given his age.  

For McD and Beane the only thing that will matter in terms of their sticking around is Allen.  If Allen improves to the extent of proving himself an average-plus passer, then they'll get a stay.  But they're that not happening away from likely looking for work, regardless of how anyone else on the team plays.  You don't turn five day 1/2 picks ranging from 12th to 65th into two players, Allen and Edmunds, not have it work out, and stick around.  Not gonna happen.  

10 hours ago, SoTier said:

It generally takes DTs who aren't high first round draft prospects about 3 years to reach their potential, so I don't think 2019 is a make or break year for Harrison, so not so much pressure. He may also play a different, "quieter" style in which he plugs holes and takes up space rather than collapses the pocket and sacks QBs.  I think that Phillips needs to show solid improvement, but he could very well never "flash" and still be a good NFL DT.  Remember that Kyle Williams took more than a couple of years to become first a competent DT, and then a top one.

Yeah, but I remember Kyle flashing pretty quickly. Flash doesn't mean sacks or TFL's because that will never be H. Phillips strong suit. It could be pushing the LOS back, batting down a ball, anything really. I didn't see it. He could be a run stuffing force or he could be Tim Anderson. I don't think there's enough evidence yet.

I take your point that it's not a make or break year per se. He could very well be a guy that slowly and steadily improves, but that would mean at least one step forward in 2019. 

Edited by LSHMEAB
  • Like (+1) 1