Dion Dawkins- on the hot seat?

NewEra

3 hours ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

I just can’t see them paying Nysecki 7 mil to be a swing tackle 

Even very modestly talented  LTs who can do a credible job as starters are probably going to command $7 million.   

1 hour ago, Mat68 said:

He is paid to start at RT until Ford beats him out or earns the spot.  Or if Dawkins doesnt rebound he plays LT.  In a perfect world today Beane and McDermott are fine with him as their swing OT and probably prefer it.  It would mean both Dawkins and Ford are meeting expectations.  Nysecki is insurance that they wont have a turnstile at OT.

Yep and then I think he goes to LG which he also played. He’s just not gonna be paid 7 mil to ride the pine, if he is they will cut him. 

1 hour ago, SoTier said:

Even very modestly talented  LTs who can do a credible job as starters are probably going to command $7 million.   

Exactly, starters, whether he’s at guard or tackle. He’s not gonna make 7 mil riding the pine. My guess he’s in LT causes he’s been solid there and also because Dawkins skill set is incredible for a lg. Dawk size and athleticism can jolt him into a top tier LG

If anyone listened to Beane's presser last night, I would say that they still have Dawkins penciled in as the starter at LT. Which agree with. I assume that they were unhappy with his play at the end of the season and after Bobby Johnson watched film, Johnson must feel he can help Dion. Dawkins is very naturally gifted with long arms and good agility. He's a left tackle until he proves he can't do it. 

3 minutes ago, akcash said:

Dawkins played left guard his rookie year when incognito got hurt and he played awesome... I thinks he's gonna be at lg... he's nasty there.

It was like 6 plays. He played really well at left tackle, well enough for this regime to trade Corey Glenn when he was next to a competent guard and good center. Having Morse on the line, a better lg next to him, and a new offensive line coach will do wonders for him. He will be fine at LT imo. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 4/27/2019 at 11:14 AM, NewEra said:

I hope so!  After seeing his body at the OTA (or whatever they call it) a couple weeks ago, it didn’t look like he was taking it too seriously.  I figured he had Duffs wings in an IV 

Looked a little like Jason Peters, did he?

1C17560F-6782-482C-AB7A-7309D6A454B1.jpeg

On 4/27/2019 at 9:44 AM, BuffaloBillies said:

Seeing that potential line in writing gets me very excited.

Nsekhe 6' 8", 325 lb

Dawkins 6' 5", 320 lb

Morse 6' 6", 305 lb

Spain 6' 5", 335 lb

Ford 6' 4" 329

Time to get nasty upfront!

That's a ton of talent there. Almost literally

13 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

It was like 6 plays. He played really well at left tackle, well enough for this regime to trade Corey Glenn when he was next to a competent guard and good center. Having Morse on the line, a better lg next to him, and a new offensive line coach will do wonders for him. He will be fine at LT imo. 

I honestly agree with this and I think alot of people are blowing his "bad play" put of proportion... I think he'd be fine if he stayed at lt... I just think with the guys we have the best fit for the team of they're gonna leave ford at rt is him at lg with Nsekhe at LT... or Dawkins at LT and Ford at lg and Nsekhe at Rt... it think the best 5 is like a lot of people are saying is Nsekhe-Dawkins-Morse-tbd-Ford.

Edited by akcash

I'm kind of hoping Feliciano can steal the RG spot bc I think he brings more in the run game... Spain brings more pass pro. Just a matter if Feliciano isn't a liability in pass pro. Or maybe teller can come away with it.

Edited by akcash

On 4/27/2019 at 10:44 AM, BuffaloBillies said:

Seeing that potential line in writing gets me very excited.

Nsekhe 6' 8", 325 lb

Dawkins 6' 5", 320 lb

Morse 6' 6", 305 lb

Spain 6' 5", 335 lb

Ford 6' 4" 329

Time to get nasty upfront!

BIG & Nasty!!!

On 4/27/2019 at 10:33 AM, Ittakestime said:

If the Bills are serious about building a nasty line, they will go with:

Nsekhe, Dawkins, Morse, Spain, Ford

I'm saying it now, if Dawkins is the LT over Nsekhe, this team isn't serious about open competition an building the best line.

So Dawkins couldnt get better by working in the offseason.  He must be maxed out.

2 hours ago, Doc said:

Nsekhe is making $5M a year. Still good coin but not $7M. 

Oh that’s sweet thought it was 2 yrs at 14 mil. That makes it more palpable, that said I still think he starts, even if it’s at LG. He’s been so good the last couple years on the left side (not so much on the right). 

2 hours ago, akcash said:

I honestly agree with this and I think alot of people are blowing his "bad play" put of proportion... I think he'd be fine if he stayed at lt... I just think with the guys we have the best fit for the team of they're gonna leave ford at rt is him at lg with Nsekhe at LT... or Dawkins at LT and Ford at lg and Nsekhe at Rt... it think the best 5 is like a lot of people are saying is Nsekhe-Dawkins-Morse-tbd-Ford.

Im higher on Spencer Long than a lot of people here, except for a few. He can play, and to me he is not a natural center. He started at right guard for three years at Nebraska before he was a third round pick. He's a really strong phone booth player, he isn't about quickness. He sat the bench in Washington for a year and was penciled in as their starting right guard. After drafting Brandon Scherff in the top ten to play RT, they decided to move Scherff to guard where he beat out Long. After that, Washington converted him to center and he played well which led to a big contract with the Jets. He struggled playing for O line coach Rick Dennison, and he was injured. He is not a zone player. It was a poor match from the start. I believe that the Bills need to let him compete at RG where he is most comfortable and let him play to his strengths. I think he wins then RG spot, and I believe Quinton Spain will be the left guard. I think Feliciano has a shot, but I don't think he is as talented as the others. Both Feliciano and Long can play center, though neither are natural centers. 

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, GimmeSomeProcess said:

Oh that’s sweet thought it was 2 yrs at 14 mil. That makes it more palpable, that said I still think he starts, even if it’s at LG. He’s been so good the last couple years on the left side (not so much on the right). 

After drafting Ford, who they are pencilling-in at RT, I think Nsekhe is just there in case Dawkins doesn't improve and in case of injury to either OT.  I still think they want Dawkins to be their LT. 

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Im higher on Spencer Long than a lot of people here, except for a few. He can play, and to me he is not a natural center. He started at right guard for three years at Nebraska before he was a third round pick. He's a really strong phone booth player, he isn't about quickness. He sat the bench in Washington for a year and was penciled in as their starting right guard. After drafting Brandon Scherff in the top ten to play RT, they decided to move Scherff to guard where he beat out Long. After that, Washington converted him to center and he played well which led to a big contract with the Jets. He struggled playing for O line coach Rick Dennison, and he was injured. He is not a zone player. It was a poor match from the start. I believe that the Bills need to let him compete at RG where he is most comfortable and let him play to his strengths. I think he wins then RG spot, and I believe Quinton Spain will be the left guard. I think Feliciano has a shot, but I don't think he is as talented as the others. Both Feliciano and Long can play center, though neither are natural centers. 

The fact Spencer Long might not start on this line says everything you need to know about how much we upgraded the OL.  .....because as you pointed out, Long is a pretty good player.  

Bad fit and injuries with the Jets, but he’s shown he can play in our scheme. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1