RD 3, Pick 74: RB Devin Singletary, Florida Atlantic

SDS

On April 26, 2019 at 10:13 PM, NewEra said:

He’s fun.  Similar to shady.  Would’ve referred sternberger, Hakeem butler or Harmon, but I really like singletarys slillset 

I see a little Shady and a little Thurman Thomas. Thurman was shifty at the line, squeezed through the little holes and wasn't the fastest but effective with his speed.

Nowhere has Beane said that Singletary is a gadget player, or somebody to sit on the bench, or somebody maybe useful next year or 20 years from now-all Beane said was he was going to draft the Best Player. RBs do not improve-they are either able to do it as rookies or they will never be able to do it.

7 minutes ago, the skycap said:

I see a little Shady and a little Thurman Thomas. Thurman was shifty at the line, squeezed through the little holes and wasn't the fastest but effective with his speed.

For sure.  Just effective at moving the chains.  Love to see those TD numbers too.  It’s all about getting in the endzone.  Some guys excel at it.  Some are born to cross the goal line.  He was always listed at 5’9 203+.  He measured at the combine at 5’7 which I love.  I really don’t see how height matters as a RB.  I’d much rather have our guy be small, stocky and elusive. He’s similar in stature to Barry.  Similar in skill set to Barry.  Just nowhere near as fast as Barry.  I think we’re going to love this kid

5 minutes ago, Chuck Wagon said:

I still think this is a very hard pick to justify with Winovich and Ferguson on the board and the state of the DEs on our roster.

It’s the old maxim about drafting for need. Singletary was probably RB1 on some boards, though not necessarily Buffalo’s.Wasnt a need like DE/ Edge . Seems like they followed the near mythical BPA strategy. 

1 minute ago, Boatdrinks said:

It’s the old maxim about drafting for need. Singletary was probably RB1 on some boards, though not necessarily Buffalo’s.Wasnt a need like DE/ Edge . Seems like they followed the near mythical BPA strategy. 

Well, IMO Winovich / Ferguson were BPA and also a need.

But I know the Bills have been linked to Singletary throughout the process.

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Travis Henry with better elusiveness?  That's what I'm seeing.

Maybe sans the whole 11 kids by 10 different mothers thing. Travis had that run-you-over at the line thing going on, but Singletary really reminds me a bit of Thurman Thomas in those quick few lateral skip steps he has that make the first man miss - then a decisive burst forward (not dancing back there). Has a little Shady in how he uses slight shoulder fakes and hesitation to create or widen the creases to get through as well.

He looks like a kid that is good at avoiding the few defenders that may come free on a run blitz and not get stopped in the backfield. 

51 minutes ago, BillsFan1988 said:

I've been making proclamations for 20yrs I've been right @ least 70% of the time.  That's my opinion maybe I'm right maybe I'm wrong but Singletary will not live up to his 3rd rd grade . I'll even go one further fans on this board will be unhappy about this pk for quite some time and they'll be talking about players like Winovich and Sternberger amongst others of players we missed on.  

Congratulations, not that I believe a word of it, but congratulations.

• Haha (+1) 3

Just now, Chuck Wagon said:

Well, IMO Winovich / Ferguson were BPA and also a need.

But I know the Bills have been linked to Singletary throughout the process.

That’s always the unknown: who is where on the Bills board ?  I acknowledged that RB wasn’t a need like DE/ Edge was in my post, so I agree this was not a need pick. Note : just heard interview w Beane where he said Singletary was the top RB on their board. He also said there was a closely ranked player available at another position that they considered at 3, but went with Singletary. Didn’t say what that position was though, but there you go. 

6 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

That’s always the unknown: who is where on the Bills board ?  I acknowledged that RB wasn’t a need like DE/ Edge was in my post, so I agree this was not a need pick. Note : just heard interview w Beane where he said Singletary was the top RB on their board. He also said there was a closely ranked player available at another position that they considered at 3, but went with Singletary. Didn’t say what that position was though, but there you go. 

Ferguson and Winovich were there. Obviously the Bills did not view them as highly as the pundits and talking heads. Though, I do believe that Winovich will be the consummate, over achieving Patriot. As defensive minded as I am, Singletary seems like a good choice.

Edited by Rocket94

I think Beane is being honest when he said that he stayed true to his board........yes there were other players...they felt that Singletary was the best talent on the board at that time.

I mean....obviously time will tell but you can really see the writing on the wall with this one....our starting RB is OLD.....his backup is OLD.....we have a guy that is primarily a special teamer and we have Yeldon the pass catcher.

They went with the guy they thought was the most talented....his TD production is crazy....his touches load says he might not be a gadget back.....

Who is to say Winovich (sp) is any better then Shaq Lawson?

43 minutes ago, TheBrownBear said:

Travis Henry with better elusiveness?  That's what I'm seeing.

Stiff arm isn’t even close.  It was Henry’s go too move by far

15 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I think Beane is being honest when he said that he stayed true to his board........yes there were other players...they felt that Singletary was the best talent on the board at that time.

I mean....obviously time will tell but you can really see the writing on the wall with this one....our starting RB is OLD.....his backup is OLD.....we have a guy that is primarily a special teamer and we have Yeldon the pass catcher.

They went with the guy they thought was the most talented....his TD production is crazy....his touches load says he might not be a gadget back.....

Who is to say Winovich (sp) is any better then Shaq Lawson?

Everyone that’s hates the Singletary pick.  

• Haha (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

There is very little evidence that shows that he is a gadget back.   He's a compact 205 pound running back at 5'8, he carries the rock like a superstar workhorse, and has done most of his running in-between-the-tackles.   He not only makes defenders whiff on their tackles which he was second in the nation at doing, but he breaks tons of tackles where he led the nation in yards after contact.     Take a look at this video of this run of his and give me your opinion if this has the look of a gadget back?

A First Round Prototype: Devin Singletary, FAU

The “Motor” man just doesn’t stop, running hard between the tackles or on the edge. In addition to his power running style, Singletary shows exceptional change of direction capability and gains a tremendous amount of yardage after contact. He breaks a ton of tackles and compiles more yards after contact than any other runner in this year’s class. In addition, Singletary possesses a stout, thick build, along with good vision and patience, which allows him to let his blocks to develop. He can cut on a dime and makes use of a powerful stiff arm. Even more impressive is how hard it is to bring him down in the open field. Playing in Conference USA does dim his accomplishments somewhat but he’s viewed as a prime-time back in this year’s crop and is widely regarded as the best player in FAU history.

4 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Hating on the Singletary pick makes no sense to me......RB was obviously a need and you could make a case this was the best RB in this class.   In the 3rd round

Seems like a bunch lead the DK Metcalf cult.  Aka the people that think our WRs suck.  Others would include the sack masters.  Aka, the guys that think we only have one DE, Jerry Hughes.  

Im not in either group, but I see why they feel that way.  More so that we can use another pass rusher.  We do, but I think we will add another via FA.  

I can see why people this our WRs are lacking.  We signed 2 midgets (and midgets get hurt) and we lack any big targets other than Duke Williams.  Zay has some size, but hasn’t been using it effectively.  A WR with size mad sense.  

While i I wasn’t a fan of this rb class other than Jacobs, Singletary, Montgomery and Darrel Henderson, I’m glad we chose Devin.  He really is so much fun to watch.  I hope he can hold up after his college usage 

7 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Seems like a bunch lead the DK Metcalf cult.  Aka the people that think our WRs suck.  Others would include the sack masters.  Aka, the guys that think we only have one DE, Jerry Hughes.  

Im not in either group, but I see why they feel that way.  More so that we can use another pass rusher.  We do, but I think we will add another via FA.  

I can see why people this our WRs are lacking.  We signed 2 midgets (and midgets get hurt) and we lack any big targets other than Duke Williams.  Zay has some size, but hasn’t been using it effectively.  A WR with size mad sense.  

While i I wasn’t a fan of this rb class other than Jacobs, Singletary, Montgomery and Darrel Henderson, I’m glad we chose Devin.  He really is so much fun to watch.  I hope he can hold up after his college usage 

To me this all about Josh Allen.....who appears to be doing ok with these "Smurfs"

At the end of last season I felt we had found a real gem in Foster.......then we turned around and brought in 2 veteran WR's that start on any team (thats 3 wide outs)

A huge difference from last year's group.  Beane did exactly what he said he was going to do he got Josh Allen help.   The WR's we took later are total lottery tickets but we seam to do well with those especially UDFA's.......Sills was a good get.

Folks need to think big picture.   THIS IS A VERY GOOD DEFENSE......we added to it with Oliver....we added depth to it.....we improved our offense and we payed special attn to our offensive line.

A huge off season

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

To me this all about Josh Allen.....who appears to be doing ok with these "Smurfs"

At the end of last season I felt we had found a real gem in Foster.......then we turned around and brought in 2 veteran WR's that start on any team (thats 3 wide outs)

A huge difference from last year's group.  Beane did exactly what he said he was going to do he got Josh Allen help.   The WR's we took later are total lottery tickets but we seam to do well with those especially UDFA's.......Sills was a good get.

Folks need to think big picture.   THIS IS A VERY GOOD DEFENSE......we added to it with Oliver....we added depth to it.....we improved our offense and we payed special attn to our offensive line.

A huge off season

I agree on all fronts, but I do think we need to add another pass rusher for when Trent takes his turn on the mat on the first day of training camp.

• Like (+1) 1