Russell Wilson Reaches 4 Year $140 Million ($107 m guaranteed) extension with Seahawks

25 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Let me know when you play an 82 game NBA season in 165 days

NFL players wouldn't last a week in the NBA with the constant cardio and jumping for 40 minutes a night 3-4 days a week either

You realize that NFL players don't play both sides of the ball right? 

They get breaks between possessions and many don't even play every down

They are different sports

They rest because their coach tells them to

They wind up with muscle fatigue that leads to injuries

Rest prevents that

If you think the NBA is easy and doesn't take a toll on player bodies then you are completely lost

can you go and tell a man who plays in the NFL your little crackpot theory?

i'll send you a nice flower arrangement while you lay in your hospital bed for 2 weeks after he B word-slaps you so hard your head does a 720

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Let me know when you play an 82 game NBA season in 165 days

NFL players wouldn't last a week in the NBA with the constant cardio and jumping for 40 minutes a night 3-4 days a week either

You realize that NFL players don't play both sides of the ball right? 

They get breaks between possessions and many don't even play every down

They are different sports

They rest because their coach tells them to

They wind up with muscle fatigue that leads to injuries

Rest prevents that

If you think the NBA is easy and doesn't take a toll on player bodies then you are completely lost

When I was younger ....  we spend day after day outside playing pickup games of you name it.   

We'd ride bikes over 20 miles a day round trip to go to a quarry to  the beach to swim and play Volley ball. 

When I was younger .... I would walk to school 10 miles up hill both ways AND in blizzard !!!    

What a bunch of softies !!! 

(I'm just having a bit of fun with ya)  

• Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, OldTimeAFLGuy said:

......Jesus, at this rate, Josh is going to cost more than the new stadium................

huh? 

rate of what?

i didn't see much except some decent grounds for sugar plum fairy whim wishes of potential and improvement.

that and $20 won't get you a cup of coffee at Tim Hortons.

1 minute ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

When I was younger ....  we spend day after day outside playing pickup games of you name it.   

We'd ride bikes over 20 miles a day round trip to go to a quarry to  the beach to swim and play Volley ball. 

When I was younger .... I would walk to school 10 miles up hill both ways AND in blizzard !!!    

IN BARE FEET

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Limeaid said:

At that price I'll raise my hand saying they should have traded him IF (and that is a big IF) they got a good offer for he is not worth $35 million a year.  

3 hours ago, Wo-Bah said:

I respectfully disagree.  Again, I reiterate - no athlete is worth that kind of money.  He's a decent QB, but, no.

The takes are getting nuts.  "Decent" QB?

Look at the comps (avg salary):  Matt Ryan 30 million, Stafford 27 million, Cousins 28 million (!), Garappolo 27.5 (!!!).  Rodgers is getting 33 million....for what?  Being a huge D bag on a team going nowhere. 

This guy is the Seahawks entire offense.  2 years ago he scored 37 of his teams 38 TDs  (and, laughably, was not named league MVP).  Last year, 35 more TDs (the team found someone else who could run for TDs).

This is money they had to spend and is clearly money well spent.  Of the QBS in this money range, he is the only one earning this kind of cash.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, row_33 said:

can you go and tell a man who plays in the NFL your little crackpot theory?

i'll send you a nice flower arrangement while you lay in your hospital bed for 2 weeks after he B word-slaps you so hard your head does a 720

Right.

Crackpot theory.

Let me know when an NFL player runs and jumps up and down a court for 40 minutes straight 3 times a week

I never said NFL players were soft or it was easy

I said it's a different sport and the NBA take a toll on players bodies as well

4 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Pickup games are definitely NBA equivalent

And uphill both ways in a blizzard is definitely easy you wuss ??

26 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

He's def an elite QB but I don't see them sniffing a SB or Championship game with that money tied to one player. He's no Rodgers/Brees/Brady who can carry a team that far. 

Great Post

Wilson isn't carrying that team?? This is a joke, right?  Where is Rodgers carrying the Packers?  To the dumpster.

You think they should have let him go so some other team could pay him what he's worth?  That's crazy.  The Seahawks with Wilson have won a SB and 2 NFCC's.  Even without the "legion of doom", he is still getting 9 or 10 wins a year.  The Packers won a SB....9 years ago and haven't been back since. 

3 minutes ago, boater said:

What an optimist you are.

Some don't share your confidence. Last season’s ratings troubles still dragging the NFL down in the money department

It's not optimism:

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/2018/12/11/nfl-salary-cap-will-increase-to-up-to-191-million-per-team/38720103/

It's gone up for 6 straight years.

31 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Look at your second sentence.  I thought, at the time, that the problem was Brees massive salary.  But in hindsight, that can't have been the problem.

Brees salary hasn't decreased of recent.  Other bad cap choices have.

So now I think the problem wasn't Brees salary per se (or how are they managing to draft/sign now?) but poor choices on how to spend the rest of their cap space (Byrd etc)

I didn't say that Brees' salary was their sole problem, but it was most definitely a problem. Clearly bad contracts with other players like Byrd, and bad drafting were the bigger problem, but those problems were compounded by only operating with ~80% of the salary cap due to Brees' salary, before accounting for the usual dead money from other contracts.

14 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Right.

Crackpot theory.

Let me know when an NFL player runs and jumps up and down a court for 40 minutes straight 3 times a week

I never said NFL players were soft or it was easy

I said it's a different sport and the NBA take a toll on players bodies as well

Pickup games are definitely NBA equivalent

And uphill both ways in a blizzard is definitely easy you wuss ??

The point being (1 and 2) as a kid I'd be physically exerting myself every day for the 3 months straight of nice weather in Rochester for 6 to 10 hours a day.

When I was working at Harris from 18 to 30, was lifting 80 pound pieces of equipment 8 hours a day. 

I don't want to hear how "tough they have it"  Theses softies today can't live up to the players of the past. 

Look at the greats from decades ago,  How many of them took games off? 

9 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Wilson isn't carrying that team?? This is a joke, right?  Where is Rodgers carrying the Packers?  To the dumpster.

You think they should have let him go so some other team could pay him what he's worth?  That's crazy.  The Seahawks with Wilson have won a SB and 2 NFCC's.  Even without the "legion of doom", he is still getting 9 or 10 wins a year.  The Packers won a SB....9 years ago and haven't been back since. 

They accomplished those SB and NFCC with the best defense and one of the best run games in the league. I didn't say he can't get them to the playoffs, he's very capable. I just don't think they'll sniff a SB or Nfccg in the NFC.  Especially with the Rams as the top dogs of the NFC West , 9ers on the up and up , it's only going to get tougher for the Hawks. 

The Rodgers hate is just that , hating. Say what you want about him off the field , he's been the best QB in the league for a few years now, imo.

Edited by JerseyBills

10 minutes ago, Koko78 said:

I didn't say that Brees' salary was their sole problem, but it was most definitely a problem. Clearly bad contracts with other players like Byrd, and bad drafting were the bigger problem, but those problems were compounded by only operating with ~80% of the salary cap due to Brees' salary, before accounting for the usual dead money from other contracts.

The point is, Brees salary turned out not to be preventing them from fielding a competitive team, because for the last 2 years they have clearly fielded a competitive team.

I personally think the Seasnakes are likely to be a dumpster fire, but that's gonna be because of other coaching and personnel choices they've made

Paying the QB is just a current reality successful teams have to work around.  Of course, paying him "off the books" as NE manages is one option.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Wo-Bah said:

I respectfully disagree.  Again, I reiterate - no athlete is worth that kind of money.  He's a decent QB, but, no.

That's a completely different discussion.

As long as fans/corporations are willing to spend increasing amounts of $$$ to the league then players salaries will continue to rise. I'd rather see players get  their share rather than the owners reaping all the rewards. If you believe that the players deserve a certain percentage of league revenues then that pool of money needs to be divided up between the players on that team.  

As a Bills fan you must understand (if you've watched the Bills over the last 2 decades) that having a franchise QB is what separates contenders from pretenders. Russell Wilson is a franchise QB.

1 hour ago, SouthNYfan said:

Cousins is good

Very good imo

I think their coaching and schemes was the issue

Shurmur drove that offense and they didn't replace him properly

I agree Cousins is good.... not sure I'd go to "very good" but the offensive line and the play calling were the problems much more than Kirk. Their offensive line lost players to injury, retirement and FA from 2017 to 2018 and it showed.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

The point being (1 and 2) as a kid I'd be physically exerting myself every day for the 3 months straight of nice weather in Rochester for 6 to 10 hours a day.

When I was working at Harris from 18 to 30, was lifting 80 pound pieces of equipment 8 hours a day. 

I don't want to hear how "tough they have it"  Theses softies today can't live up to the players of the past. 

Look at the greats from decades ago,  How many of them took games off? 

Your point is completely wrong.

Your job was not as grueling as the NBA.

Your Rochester basketball as a kid was not as grueling as the NBA.

The NBA seasons of decades ago were shorter.

They played 72 games in the 50s, less prior.

The 82 game season became a thing in the late 60s.

What decades are you referring to for the greats by the way?

I'll start from the 82 game season since it's easier to gauge

Kareem played 82 games 5 times in 20 seasons

He averaged 78 games a season in his career

Bird played 82 only twice, averaging 69 games

Jordan 5 times reached 82 games, 71 game average

LeBron has hit 82 once, and 74 game average 

Kobe hit 82 twice, 72 average

It's not that much different from "back in the day"

Keep trying

40 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

The takes are getting nuts.  "Decent" QB?

Look at the comps (avg salary):  Matt Ryan 30 million, Stafford 27 million, Cousins 28 million (!), Garappolo 27.5 (!!!).  Rodgers is getting 33 million....for what?  Being a huge D bag on a team going nowhere. 

This guy is the Seahawks entire offense.  2 years ago he scored 37 of his teams 38 TDs  (and, laughably, was not named league MVP).  Last year, 35 more TDs (the team found someone else who could run for TDs).

This is money they had to spend and is clearly money well spent.  Of the QBS in this money range, he is the only one earning this kind of cash.

Actually the difference in Seattle's rushing TDs in 2018 was that they did make some progress with their oline. I think the running backs are still pretty meh. I'd still argue Rodgers is earning his money.... I don't think the Packers have done a good job with the team around him for a long while now.... and Matt Ryan is a guy I'd definitely pay as well - though Wilson is definitely doing more for his team. Stafford, Cousins, Jimmy G and Derek Carr are all guys who look overpriced at what they are being paid.

• Like (+1) 1