Russell Wilson Reaches 4 Year $140 Million ($107 m guaranteed) extension with Seahawks

38 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

They accomplished those SB and NFCC with the best defense and one of the best run games in the league. I didn't say he can't get them to the playoffs, he's very capable. I just don't think they'll sniff a SB or Nfccg in the NFC.  Especially with the Rams as the top dogs of the NFC West , 9ers on the up and up , it's only going to get tougher for the Hawks. 

The Rodgers hate is just that , hating. Say what you want about him off the field , he's been the best QB in the league for a few years now, imo.

So...because you don't think they can get back to the SB, you would let him walk?  In favor of....what?

This isn't how decisions are made.  There is plenty of money to pay one of the best QBs in the league to be the best (by far) player on your team.  It's not even a difficult decision, as the Seahawks just proved for you.

Yes, Wilson had some great D's backing him up early on (and awful O-line protection throughout).  Now that's all gone---and he's still carrying this team.  Rodger's "hate"? No, just pointing out that he's not carrying that team.  And at 33 million for a guy his age---the Packers are not getting nearly the value the Seahawks are getting for all that cap money in one player.   Do you really think the Packers are going to "sniff a SB or NFCC" this year?  No they aren't, so by your logic, they should cut or trade Rodgers.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

Guess what All teams will be paying their Good players that Much. So guess there will be no SuperBowl going forward. 

Wilson made the point that the cap will likely jump quite a bit when you add in sports betting revenue to the pool. This contract is a shocker but it might be the new normal.

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Actually the difference in Seattle's rushing TDs in 2018 was that they did make some progress with their oline. I think the running backs are still pretty meh. I'd still argue Rodgers is earning his money.... I don't think the Packers have done a good job with the team around him for a long while now.... and Matt Ryan is a guy I'd definitely pay as well - though Wilson is definitely doing more for his team. Stafford, Cousins, Jimmy G and Derek Carr are all guys who look overpriced at what they are being paid.

Wilson is a stat-padder.  Choker otherwise. 

In 2017 Rodgers missed 9 games after breaking his other collarbone.

Last season, he was messing with his young players' heads, forcing them to choose between the plays called by the coach and those Rodgers changed them to in the huddle.  The results of Rodgers's play-calling speak for themselves.  Until yesterday, he was the highest paid QB (player, even) but he's not played like the top QB in the NFL in a few years. 

36 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Your point is completely wrong.

Your job was not as grueling as the NBA.

Your Rochester basketball as a kid was not as grueling as the NBA.

The NBA seasons of decades ago were shorter.

They played 72 games in the 50s, less prior.

The 82 game season became a thing in the late 60s.

What decades are you referring to for the greats by the way?

I'll start from the 82 game season since it's easier to gauge

Kareem played 82 games 5 times in 20 seasons

He averaged 78 games a season in his career

Bird played 82 only twice, averaging 69 games

Jordan 5 times reached 82 games, 71 game average

LeBron has hit 82 once, and 74 game average 

Kobe hit 82 twice, 72 average

It's not that much different from "back in the day"

Keep trying

Not to mention the expanded playoffs and size, strength, and commitment to fitness of the modern athlete. Today’s athletes are a WAY different type of athlete than 20 years ago, forget about 50

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Wilson made the point that the cap will likely jump quite a bit when you add in sports betting revenue to the pool. This contract is a shocker but it might be the new normal.

That's far from a given.  Sports books have never had to share with the leagues before, why would they now?  As of February, the NFL is the only league that has not sought such payments, either through lobbying state legislatures to include "integrity fees" (lol) into their gambling bills, or directly with the betting companies, as have MLB/NHL/NBA.

4 minutes ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Not to mention the expanded playoffs and size, strength, and commitment to fitness of the modern athlete. Today’s athletes are a WAY different type of athlete than 20 years ago, forget about 50

Good point, didn't even get into that!

His Rochester pickup games and job kidding equipment is much tougher though.

Obv.

Spotrac‏Verified account @spotrac 3h3 hours ago

@spotrac

In terms of percentage of the cap, Russell Wilson’s $35M AAV represents 18.6% in 2019.

Aaron Rodgers: 18.9%

Matt Ryan: 16.9%

Matthew Stafford: 16.1%

Kirk Cousins: 15.8%

Andrew Luck: 15.8%

Jimmy Garoppolo: 15.5%

Derek Carr: 14.9%

Nick Foles: 11.6%

Tom Brady: 8.4%

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

Wilson is a stat-padder.  Choker otherwise. 

In 2017 Rodgers missed 9 games after breaking his other collarbone.

Last season, he was messing with his young players' heads, forcing them to choose between the plays called by the coach and those Rodgers changed them to in the huddle.  The results of Rodgers's play-calling speak for themselves.  Until yesterday, he was the highest paid QB (player, even) but he's not played like the top QB in the NFL in a few years. 

Wilson? You mean Ryan I think. I disagree though. I think he is a good NFL QB... though I think Wilson is better. As for Rodgers..... I put much more at McCarthy's door. I think without Rodgers changing plays the Packers offense would have stopped producing years ago. McCarthy was a bad offensive coordinator when he was an offensive coordinator. He was an even worse one as a Head Coach.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The point is, Brees salary turned out not to be preventing them from fielding a competitive team, because for the last 2 years they have clearly fielded a competitive team.

I personally think the Seasnakes are likely to be a dumpster fire, but that's gonna be because of other coaching and personnel choices they've made

Paying the QB is just a current reality successful teams have to work around.  Of course, paying him "off the books" as NE manages is one option.

I wish we could get the dirt on those kickbacks 

1 hour ago, SouthNYfan said:

Your point is completely wrong.

Your job was not as grueling as the NBA.

Your Rochester basketball as a kid was not as grueling as the NBA.

The NBA seasons of decades ago were shorter.

They played 72 games in the 50s, less prior.

The 82 game season became a thing in the late 60s.

What decades are you referring to for the greats by the way?

I'll start from the 82 game season since it's easier to gauge

I concede to the point that the NBA can be grueling ...  

I still say they are whiners.   That's just my opinion my friend.

I will reiterate if it is that grueling find ways to fix it.   Allow more men on the team to rotate like Hockey does.  I'd prefer these pro's not whine about it.

25 minutes ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

I wish we could get the dirt on those kickbacks 

I concede to the point that the NBA can be grueling ...  

I still say they are whiners.   That's just my opinion my friend.

I will reiterate if it is that grueling find ways to fix it.   Allow more men on the team to rotate like Hockey does.  I'd prefer these pro's not whine about it.

Are you telling NFL players who want pensions, guaranteed contracts, and less games in the season to stop whining as well?

The NBA players have been trying to find ways to fix it, eliminating back to backs, etc but they haven't been able to come to an agreement with the owners yet.

Larger team rotations probably wouldn't work in basketball though since it's a different style of game with a different flow.

NFL players for example play one day a week with some rest and practice between

NBA players routinely play back to backs and average 3.5 games a week during the season with practice and travel in between.

They have very little time for recovery.

It's a different type of damage and such on the body than the NFL, for sure, in some ways better and some ways worse.

I think my point is that NFL players typically are worn down from repeated traumatic hits, vs NBA players grinding themselves into the ground with repeated running, jumping, driving and falling onto the court without time to recover on the days between.

Very different but still destructive to the body.

I will agree with you that ANY professional athlete can say it's a hard, tough job, but I also say that's part of why you make millions, because it's not an easy job, so I'm with you there

Edited by SouthNYfan

24 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Wilson? You mean Ryan I think. I disagree though. I think he is a good NFL QB... though I think Wilson is better. As for Rodgers..... I put much more at McCarthy's door. I think without Rodgers changing plays the Packers offense would have stopped producing years ago. McCarthy was a bad offensive coordinator when he was an offensive coordinator. He was an even worse one as a Head Coach.

Oops.  Meant Ryan yes.  

McCarthy wasn’t the brightest guy.  But Rodgers did pretty well with him fit half his career.  Whenever Rodgers “took over” the offense (I don’t think it was years ago),  it hasn’t gotten better 

1 minute ago, Mr. WEO said:

Oops.  Meant Ryan yes.  

McCarthy wasn’t the brightest guy.  But Rodgers did pretty well with him fit half his career.  Whenever Rodgers “took over” the offense (I don’t think it was years ago),  it hasn’t gotten better 

I'm of the firm belief that they won that SB in spite of McCarthy, not because of him.

He not a good coach.

2 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

I'm of the firm belief that they won that SB in spite of McCarthy, not because of him.

He not a good coach.

Maybe.  But it's as clear that Rodger's input didn't work out well either.  All it did was force his teammates to side with him or the coach.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, row_33 said:

huh? 

rate of what?

i didn't see much except some decent grounds for sugar plum fairy whim wishes of potential and improvement.

that and $20 won't get you a cup of coffee at Tim Hortons.

...a little tongue in cheek sarcasm.......

You gotta laugh-people complain about overpaid QBs and then in the same breath expect the QB to carry the entire team on their shoulders like it is a one person sport-here is Rodgers recent stats:

2018  27 TD 2 INT

2017  16 TD 6 INT (7 games)

2016  44 TD 7 INT

2015  32 TD 8 INT

Yeah-this is just another guy.    

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ColoradoBills said:

In terms of percentage of the cap, Russell Wilson’s $35M AAV represents 18.6% in 2019.

Aaron Rodgers: 18.9%

Matt Ryan: 16.9%

Matthew Stafford: 16.1%

Kirk Cousins: 15.8%

Andrew Luck: 15.8%

Jimmy Garoppolo: 15.5%

Derek Carr: 14.9%

Nick Foles: 11.6%

Tom Brady: 8.4%

8.4% hey?

Wasn't there a mention that the Cheats pay his foundation or something like that so he gets way more without it being official player salary?

And yes, being elite gets you paid. And the headcase situations for teams are when your QB is damn good but maybe not that good... Hopefully Josh becomes a true elite QB and not Stafford-Cousins-Tannehill-Carr-Prescott level...

As for Rodgers, he's been getting a lot of flak lately. He's been one of THE best QB for sure. His personality must be really be causing some issues. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

8.4% hey?

Wasn't there a mention that the Cheats pay his foundation or something like that so he gets way more without it being official player salary?

And yes, being elite gets you paid. And the headcase situations for teams are when your QB is damn good but maybe not that good... Hopefully Josh becomes a true elite QB and not Stafford-Cousins-Tannehill-Carr-Prescott level...

As for Rodgers, he's been getting a lot of flak lately. He's been one of THE best QB for sure. His personality must be really be causing some issues. 

yep.

• Like (+1) 1