Russell Wilson Reaches 4 Year $140 Million ($107 m guaranteed) extension with Seahawks

It's the going market for elite QB play.  He's way more worthy than the guy in Minnesota. He's been the Seattle offense since his second year.  He should have two rings.  

Edited by YodaMan79

4 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

What?

Brady is listed at 22 and 27 mil vs the cap for 2018 and 2019

Rodgers is about 21 and 27 mil for 2018 and 2019

This is by both sport Trac and otc

The Spotrac tweet I posted was about contract numbers not cap hit.

Brady last contract was 2 years 30 million.

The extra cap hit numbers is when he restructured his old contract to clear up a bunch of cap space.

They have played around with his contract for years.

Put it this way since 2000 (19 seasons) Brady has made 212 million.

That averages just over 11 million per.

If Aaron Rodgers plays out his contract he will have 19 seasons too.

His pay will total 313 million.  That's 16.5 per.

Brady has been "cheap" for being the GOAT!

3 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

The first big game Cousins wins will be his first. I get why the Vikings did it but he has always been kinda whatever.  He puts up numbers but do teams ever really fear him?  Plus, he’s a huge dork and I think his teammates don’t listen to him. 

Stop ?comparing ? your ? job ? to ? athletes ? who ? make ? billions ? of ? dollars ?.  

Im sorry bro but you’re a lot less valuable than Russell Wilson.  And if Wilson isn’t good enough, he will get replaced.  

I was complaining about basketball 

And I was being a wise ass through most of it 

1 hour ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I get your point, but also at the same time I don't get what you propose a team do. 

For years, most people on here have pleaded that the only way to a Super Bowl today is with a great QB and passing game.  Yet those same people don't want to pay said franchise QB.  So how do you propose you get a great QB and also don't pay him when his contract is up?  The only way to do that is to draft a QB who can be as impactful and good as Wilson during his rookie contract then trade him before paying him and hope to do the same.  Which is nearly impossible to do once, let alone repeatedly do every 4 to 5 years to avoid paying top dollar for your QB.

In the end, if you want a top 10 franchise QB, its going to cost a massive contract as any young QB in the top 10 will get near top of the market money on his first contract after his rookie deal.  Thats just the way it is today.  We live in a world where guys like Cousins, Kap, Carr, Tannehill, Stafford, etc were at one point the highest paid players or among the highest paid in NFL history.  None of them are nearly as good as Wilson nor have been able to propel their teams the way Wilson has done for all 7 years he has been in the league.

So if you want a top end franchise QB, there is no way around eventually paying him a massive contract.  This is why its so imperative to build through the draft, so imperative to be smart on contracts, etc.  All things so far our own Beane has impressed me with too.  

And while I hated (then and now) the contracts guys like Carr, Cousins, Stafford, etc got...there are those special players that deserve every penny they get and are worth it because they can single handedly carry their side of the football.  And Wilson is one of those rare people along with guys like Brees, Brady, and Rogers.  There are not many players in the NFL that can single handedly be the difference of 5 to 7 more wins a season.  Wilson is in that rare category.  

Well, you could hope the QB marries a supermodel...

At least Wilson has done something. Can't say that about Carr, Cousins, or Stafford. Teams have to win before the QB breaks the bank and sinks the team's chances. You're correct that drafting smartly is key, but also signing low cost impactful FAs. Not the Bells, ABs, and Suhs...

28 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

The Spotrac tweet I posted was about contract numbers not cap hit.

Brady last contract was 2 years 30 million.

The extra cap hit numbers is when he restructured his old contract to clear up a bunch of cap space.

They have played around with his contract for years.

Put it this way since 2000 (19 seasons) Brady has made 212 million.

That averages just over 11 million per.

If Aaron Rodgers plays out his contract he will have 19 seasons too.

His pay will total 313 million.  That's 16.5 per.

Brady has been "cheap" for being the GOAT!

Well a cap hit is what matters.

I don't disagree he's been cheap compared to others, but currently he isn't cheap since 2018 and 2019 vs the cap

3 minutes ago, SouthNYfan said:

Well a cap hit is what matters.

I don't disagree he's been cheap compared to others, but currently he isn't cheap since 2018 and 2019 vs the cap

His cap hits in 2016 and 2017 were 13 and 14 million.

That really helped them get to the super bowl those years.

Let's just hope this run is coming to an end!  LOL

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Ah yes the post from the USAtoday blogger who doesn’t even use his last name. Compelling evidence right there counselor. I’d go into correlation does not imply...ah, you know what, nevermind. 

Why is it so hard to understand this deal is MARKET RATE. The cap goes up every year. Wilson is not, in any possible way, “kneecapping” his team. He IS most of the team at this point.

Some of you are so out of touch with today’s NFL it’s truly baffling.

Teams with high QB salaries are far more likely to not win the super bowl. Stats don't lie.

This is not hard. Not sure why people argue history. 

14 minutes ago, cba fan said:

Teams with high QB salaries are far more likely to not win the super bowl. Stats don't lie.

This is not hard. Not sure why people argue history. 

....agree....it encroaches on salary cap decisions for being able  make surrounding cast better....but...we'll never know what are the personal initiatives between player(s) ears....Wilson has a ring....so is his top priority another one or strictly financial?...Brady has SIX......financial is hardly his drive IMO with wifey making $40+ mil/yr.....venture HIS drive is ego for a 7th....

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Buffalo ill said:

This is why Gisele Bundchen is the real nfl mvp.

this. 

If your wife is worth $360- $400 mil and is fine a heck, why not help yourself out by being able to field a good enough team to win multiple SB's?

• Like (+1) 2

To open up a fan of worms.

There was an article on qb contract handling that predicted drastic change soon. As some but not all GM's notice that you don't win super bowls and often do not even make playoffs with high qb salary some may do the following.

Only keep qb on rookie deal. Then franchise him and work a trade for assets and roll the dice on drafting next franchise qb. Keep him for rookie deal and rinse and repeat.

Article assumes many FO's will not do it as winning with say aaron rodgers and keeping job longer and winning, even with no super bowls, is better than getting fired for trading franchise type players in their prime. This allows market to remain viable for trade of qb's at end of rookie deals. 

Goes on to say it only takes one gm to start this trend. Interesting strategy requiring ballsy FO.

Edited by cba fan

51 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

His cap hits in 2016 and 2017 were 13 and 14 million.

That really helped them get to the super bowl those years.

Let's just hope this run is coming to an end!  LOL

Right but last I checked they just won a SB with him making 22 vs the cap.

God I hate them.

8 minutes ago, cba fan said:

To open up a fan of worms.

There was an article on qb contract handling that predicted drastic change soon. As some but not all GM's notice that you don't win super bowls and often do not even make playoffs with high qb salary some may do the following.

Only keep qb on rookie deal. Then franchise him and work a trade for assets and roll the dice on drafting next franchise qb. Keep him for rookie deal and rinse and repeat.

Article assumes many FO's will not do it as winning with say aaron rodgers and keeping job longer and winning, even with no super bowls, is better than getting fired for trading franchise type players in their prime. This allows market to remain viable for trade of qb's at end of rookie deals. 

Goes on to say it only takes one gm to start this trend. Interesting strategy requiring ballsy FO.

Link to this article? Who wrote it? Where was it published?

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Dopey said:

this. 

If your wife is worth $360- $400 mil and is fine a heck, why not help yourself out by being able to field a good enough team to win multiple SB's?

Agreed.

He is making 22 last year and 27 vs the cap though this year.

In the past it definitely helped that his wife was mega rich so he was willing to take below market value

1 hour ago, the skycap said:

I'm shocked that so many people don't think he's worth the money. His offensive weapons weren't any household names besides Marshawn 

I do not think any single player is worth 30 million a year BUT he is certainly one of the 5 best in NFL currently.