THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - I Can't Help Myself - I Like Tiger

Shaw66

The Rockpile Review

“I Can’t Help Myself – I Like Tiger”

I like Tiger.   There, I’ve said it.

I know I’m not supposed to like Tiger.  There are all kinds of reasons not to like Tiger, but I can’t help myself.

What reasons?   Like, he’s the most ill-mannered player in the history of professional golf, fined more than anyone else.    Like, he’s an egotistical, self-centered guy who seems incapable of appreciating any greatness other than his own.  Like, he had a gorgeous wife and he couldn’t make that work. Like, sooner or later, he dumps each person who gets close to him – friends, women, agents, coaches, everyone.  I guess he’s still close to his mother.  His track record is so bad that people wouldn’t be surprised if he dumped his mother. 

And while I’m at it, I may as well say it:   I like LeBron, despite, you know, all the LeBron stuff.  And I like OJ, despite all the, you know, OJ stuff. 

Do you want the complete list?   I’m not sure I can give it to you, because my memory is failing.

I like Bill Russell, even though he’s a sanctimonious old fart.   He was a sanctimonious old fart even when he wasn’t old.   I like Michael Jordan even though he is, by many reports, a nasty guy.  I like Barry Bonds.  I like Pete Rose. 

I like Bill Belichick and Nick Saban, even though sometimes they seem to behave like total jerks.  I like them even though sometimes I wish they would go away and leave the game to mortals. 

I like Rodgers despite the recurring reports about him.  I like Brady despite the obnoxious watch ads, and the *****-eating grin, despite all of it. 

I like Jim Brown, maybe even better now than when he was playing, because when he was playing he was also doing some bad stuff that he owns now and has moved beyond.

Why do I like all of them?  Because big-time athletics is a unique showcase of talent and a lifetime of dedication to one’s craft that allows the truly exceptional to rise and, on occasion, thrill us all. 

So I have to admire Tiger for his talent, the skills he’s developed, his determination, his passion for the game.   That kind of extraordinary expertise should be rewarded, no matter what the competitor may be like personally. 

People don’t like admitting it, because Nicklaus was just, well, so perfect, but Tiger’s the greatest golfer of all time.  At his best, he was brilliant beyond anything we’d seen or even could imagine.  Like Nicklaus, he’s now given us one last thrill (or, just maybe, more), one last chance to step back and admire his unique greatness.   (By the way, how about Dwayne’s triple double to close out his career?)  

We’ve never seen anyone who wants it more than Tiger.   He’s desperate for greatness on the golf course, and his fierce determination simply won’t permit others around him to stand in his way.  He mows them all down, friend, foe, whomever, with a fire that rages inside him.  

Is Tiger a nice guy?  I’m sure that by some standards he his.  I’d love to have a chance to get to know him.   I’m sure he’d like to be known as a nice guy, but he doesn’t want that as much as he wants something else.  That something else drives him to be great.  

I especially really like the Bear (the golfer, not the coach, who probably should be listed up there with Belichick and Saban) and Stan the Man and Larry and Secretariat (it’s hard for a horse to be a jerk) and Junior and Oscar and Ichiro and Diana (the athlete, not the other one (well, the other one was okay, but that’s a different story)) and Peyton, because they could achieve Tiger-like greatness without, so far as I know, being jerks about it. 

I love the parade of greatness that sports gives us. 

(If this is supposed to be about the Bills, well, I hope that we’re now looking at a QB and a head coach who one day will be right there next to Secretariat.)

GO BILLS!!!

The Rockpile Review is written to share the passion we have for the Buffalo Bills. That passion was born in the Rockpile; its parents were everyday people of western New York who translated their dedication to a full day’s hard work and simple pleasures into love for a pro football team.

• Like (+1) 3

This just in:  people change, mature and grow in new and sometimes unexpected ways as they go through life.    

Was Tiger a world class dick when he was "Master of the Universe" good in his 20's and early 30s?     You bet.     

But his failures since 2009 appear to have given him new perspective.   At age 43, he appears to be more at peace with himself.   And open to being "one of the guys" (as evidenced by how many players waited at 18 to congratulate him), rather than aloof and above the crowd.   

That's why so many people are digging his win, IMO.    It's a different, better "Tiger the man, not just the player" we witnessed yesterday.   He could have given up and lived in infamy on all his millions.   But he kept grinding and trying to find his game, even at the risk of becoming a sad side show or laughing stock.     

That's the quintessential story of reinvention and perseverance that's so American we all embrace it.

• Like (+1) 3

I understand he was a ***** when he was young.  (So was Jim Kelly.)

I’m told that with age comes wisdom.  At the least, most of us mellow with time, age, and life’s trials and tribulations.

What I saw yesterday was a perfect gentleman.  No more swearing, cussing, on course anger issues.

He sat for several hours of interviews.  It was touching to see him embrace his mom and children.

I don’t know what more folks expect from him.

Maybe Lindsay Vaughn doesn’t like him anymore, but I do.

• Like (+1) 2

44 minutes ago, Lurker said:

This just in:  people change, mature and grow in new and sometimes unexpected ways as they go through life.    

Was Tiger a world class dick when he was "Master of the Universe" good in his 20's and early 30s?     You bet.     

But his failures since 2009 appear to have given him new perspective.   At age 43, he appears to be more at peace with himself.   And open to being "one of the guys" (as evidenced by how many players waited at 18 to congratulate him), rather than aloof and above the crowd.   

That's why so many people are digging his win, IMO.    It's a different, better "Tiger the man, not just the player" we witnessed yesterday.   He could have given up and lived in infamy on all his millions.   But he kept grinding and trying to find his game, even at the risk of becoming a sad side show or laughing stock.     

That's the quintessential story of reinvention and perseverance that's so American we all embrace it.

It is the quintessential story.

As for his transformation because of all he's been through, I don't know, but I'm guessing that's the story the media want to tell. Tiger is great for the media.  Everyone wants to see and hear more about Tiger.  So this is the perfect story to tell.

I'm guessing that now that he's won and cried, he will be the same old Tiger. The press won't write about it,  because the readers don't want to hear about or see the real Tiger.  

I hope you're right, but tigers rarely change their stripes.

35 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

TBH I have a hard time finding someone that hates him.

Talk to his former friends. 

1 hour ago, The Senator said:

I understand he was a ***** when he was young.  (So was Jim Kelly.)

I’m told that with age comes wisdom.  At the least, most of us mellow with time, age, and life’s trials and tribulations.

What I saw yesterday was a perfect gentleman.  No more swearing, cussing, on course anger issues.

He sat for several hours of interviews.  It was touching to see him embrace his mom and children.

I don’t know what more folks expect from him.

Maybe Lindsay Vaughn doesn’t like him anymore, but I do.

time is a funny thing. it has a way of beating you down and humbling you. the man has been through hell, mostly of his own making. his demeanor says that he learned a thing or two along the way.

i'm glad Tiger won yesterday. 

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Joe in Winslow said:

Tiger Woods is among the least likeable athletes of the past thirty years. Excellent golfer, but an epic shitlord.

Awesome post.  Succinctly stated.  I equated Tiger's Masters win to the Pats SB win.  Didn't want to see either.

4 hours ago, teef said:

all i could think about was how poorly that guy has aged over the last 10 years.

After what he's been through, though mostly brought upon himself, not surprising.  I do admire how Tiger battled back from seemingly insurmountable odds between his spinal surgery and reckless life decisions.  Many would have given up.

1 hour ago, stuvian said:

the uber talented do not live in the same world as us nor do they abide by the same rules so of course their sense of self is distorted

Cool.

Not true in all cases, but true in many.

I've loved Tiger from day one and never stopped.  He showed he was human on the course and off of it.  All the judgers must have one hell of a time living a perfect life.  Tiger is an amazing athlete and an amazing person who .... like all of us .... made mistakes.  Good people do bad things; even if they're world class athletes.

GO TIGER!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

As for his transformation because of all he's been through, I don't know, but I'm guessing that's the story the media want to tell. 

Are you a golf fan or just someone who follows Tiger casually because of the media coverage?

I'm a big PGA fan and have followed the sport closely since long before Tiger.   The Woods I saw yesterday was different from the one during his hay day or even a few years ago.   

To my eye, he was calmer and more mature than the Tiger of old.   He took fewer chances but played great strategic golf.   He knows he's not the most powerful ball striker out there any more and is fine with that.  He let his experience guide him around that back nine and played a lot like Nicklaus did--minimizing mistakes as those around him got tighter grips and looser swings.  And his post-win reaction--of pure joy rather than "I'm the Man!" dick-swinging--was real in my view as well.

The media is and will continue to go overboard to capture eyeballs and rake in the dough.   F-em, because that's what they do. 

But that doesn't mean the story of Tiger's transformation is a media concocted one.   He really does seem different to me.   

The proof of the pudding will be if he stays this way--or falls off the wagon with the renewed adulation and goes back to being Old Tiger.   Personally, I don't think he will, but he'll certainly be tempted by the money changers in the weeks and months ahead...

• Like (+1) 4

6 hours ago, Lurker said:

This.

The most stunning thing Sunday was watching his demeanor.  He was stoic throughout, no emotional highs and low as was his calling card for years.

And yes, seeing how he was embraced by his competitors, including guys who had just walked off the course ahead of him, was telling.

Always been a fan, never cared in the least that he choose to bang lots of chicks.  Very happy to see him win again.

It's awesome. This man went through a physical and emotional hell the last ten years (some of it of his own making, yes) that would break 99.9 percent of men. Instead he's on top of the world again. 19 suddenly doesn't feel so far away. 

• Like (+1) 2