Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Mark Vader

2019 NHL Playoffs

Recommended Posts

1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

 

The Islander fan that just flipped to the Mets game asks whether you mean 8-0 at home and also notes the game isn't over yet. LOL

Still a lot of hockey left in this game. It isn’t over at all.

 

But it’s over for that A-hole Lehner and that’s good enough for me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, njbuff said:

 

The last time the NHL ratings were good in the US was the 1994 ECF Devils-Rangers.

 

 

Game 7 was during my first rehearsal dinner.  My future ex-wife wasn't too pleased that almost every guy in the place was in the bar watching the game.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

 

Game 7 was during my first rehearsal dinner.  My future ex-wife wasn't too pleased that almost every guy in the place was in the bar watching the game.

 

 

It was one miserable night for me, but at least a little more than a year later, the Devils won the Cup that should have been their's the year before.

 

The 1994 Devils would have beat Vancouver in 5.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, K-9 said:

Still a lot of hockey left in this game. It isn’t over at all.

 

But it’s over for that A-hole Lehner and that’s good enough for me.

 

Since the playoffs started I figured the Isles would have a game (or more) where their lack of offense would be exposed. Assumed it would be Penguins or Caps on the other side.

 

They've been resilient all year, but 3 behind with a little over a period left is not looking good.

 

Fun fact: last time the Isles lost 3 straight was in November and haven't lost 4 straight....yet. That and a tee time will get you on the golf course.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, KD in CA said:

 

Game 7 was during my first rehearsal dinner.  My future ex-wife wasn't too pleased that almost every guy in the place was in the bar watching the game.

 

 

Too funny. I was at my sisters rehearsal dinner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Funny '94 Devils/Rangers story.

 

Foreshadowing: My best man is a huge Rangers fan with a short fuse and a potty mouth when the fuse burns brightest.

 

Setup: Back in the day a friend who is a Giants fan would watch games at home with his Dad on Sundays so he could concentrate on the game. Meanwhile the rest of us (Jets, Giants, Cowboys and a Bills fan) would hunker down somewhere, drink heavily and watch football all day. One day the Giants gave up a big TD and we called to give him sh!t and he answered the phone and was pissed at us. From that point forward he never picked up the phone during a game and it became a thing to call his parents number and let it ring once anytime something went notably wrong for the Giants. 

 

Back to Devils/Rangers, shortly after Zelepukin ties it with 8 seconds left, my best mans phone rings and assuming it's one of us (probably me) he picks up and launches a verbal fusillade of f-bombs at the caller.  Who turns out to be his sister calling for some innocuous reason.

 

Good times.

 

 

Edited by SinceThe70s
  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Carolina is one weird franchise.

 

They either don't make the playoffs or they make a run in the playoffs if they make it.

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Carolina is one weird franchise.

 

They either don't make the playoffs or they make a run in the playoffs if they make it.

 

 

 

Kind of like the Marlins in baseball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Carolina is one weird franchise.

 

They either don't make the playoffs or they make a run in the playoffs if they make it.

 

 

Curtis Mcilhenney in the net for the Canes sweep - wild. He was a Jackets castoff. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SinceThe70s said:

 

Kind of like the Marlins in baseball.

 

Good rebuttal.

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

Curtis Mcilhenney in the net for the Canes sweep - wild. He was a Jackets castoff. 

 

I thought this guy was working at the NHL Network.

 

😀

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/2/2019 at 9:34 PM, njbuff said:

 

He's right though.

 

I love hockey and I will tell you with a straight face the ratings for the NHL playoffs are horrible and have always been.

 

The last time the NHL ratings were good in the US was the 1994 ECF Devils-Rangers.

 

I wish I could lie to you and tell the ratings for hockey are good here in the US, but they are not.

Ratings for hockey will never be good. Americans either don't like hockey or like a lot of people in this thread, are only fans of their team and not actual fans of hockey. At this point I don't think anything will change that. IMO one of the reasons is I think a lot of Americans find it too fast for them. 

If you look at the other major sports in the U.S. they are all slow paced and you don't have to be constantly tuned into the action. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

Ratings for hockey will never be good. Americans either don't like hockey or like a lot of people in this thread, are only fans of their team and not actual fans of hockey. At this point I don't think anything will change that. IMO one of the reasons is I think a lot of Americans find it too fast for them. 

If you look at the other major sports in the U.S. they are all slow paced and you don't have to be constantly tuned into the action. 

 

This distinction between being a fan of hockey and a fan of a hockey team that you and others have made is either short-sighted or self-serving. 

 

I don't understand how I could be a fan of a hockey team but not a fan of the sport to begin with. 

 

I also can't think of a team that I'm a fan of that plays a sport I don't consider myself a fan of.

 

Someone else made the point that if you weren't interested in the NHL playoffs beyond your own team then you weren't a 'hockey' fan. Would that apply outside of North America? Is it within the realm of possibility that there are huge fans of hockey outside of N.A. that have never seen or have access to NHL playoff games?

 

 

 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

 

This distinction between being a fan of hockey and a fan of a hockey team that you and others have made is either short-sighted or self-serving. 

 

I don't understand how I could be a fan of a hockey team but not a fan of the sport to begin with. 

 

I also can't think of a team that I'm a fan of that plays a sport I don't consider myself a fan of.

 

Someone else made the point that if you weren't interested in the NHL playoffs beyond your own team then you weren't a 'hockey' fan. Would that apply outside of North America? Is it within the realm of possibility that there are huge fans of hockey outside of N.A. that have never seen or have access to NHL playoff games?

 

 

 

It is not short sighted. There is a big distinction in being a fan of hockey and being a fan of your team. To me its more that you may like the sport of hockey but not enough to watch it other then your team. That will always be a problem the NHL will never be able to solve. Too many Americans will watch their home team but don't like hockey enough to watch any other game in the League. It really is a shame as some of the best played hockey is playoff hockey but most have no interest in watching it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

It is not short sighted. There is a big distinction in being a fan of hockey and being a fan of your team. To me its more that you may like the sport of hockey but not enough to watch it other then your team. That will always be a problem the NHL will never be able to solve. Too many Americans will watch their home team but don't like hockey enough to watch any other game in the League. It really is a shame as some of the best played hockey is playoff hockey but most have no interest in watching it.

 

Are you limiting your comments to the NHL?  Do you watch European hockey leagues?

 

The comments you and others have made seem short-sighted and self-serving to me.

 

I am not a fan of basketball. There are people (in the USA and perhaps elsewhere, who cares?) that like NCAA (college) basketball. There are people (in the USA and perhaps elsewhere, who cares?) that like NBA (professional)  basketball. There are people (in Europe and perhaps elsewhere, who cares?) that like European basketball leagues (I'm vaguely aware that these exist).

 

In your opinion, what would qualify to be a basketball 'fan'?

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's pretty amazing what the Canes are doing.  I've managed to put away my old hatred and am actually enjoying it.  May even try to go to an Eastern Conference Finals game.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, SinceThe70s said:

 

Are you limiting your comments to the NHL?  Do you watch European hockey leagues?

 

The comments you and others have made seem short-sighted and self-serving to me.

 

I am not a fan of basketball. There are people (in the USA and perhaps elsewhere, who cares?) that like NCAA (college) basketball. There are people (in the USA and perhaps elsewhere, who cares?) that like NBA (professional)  basketball. There are people (in Europe and perhaps elsewhere, who cares?) that like European basketball leagues (I'm vaguely aware that these exist).

 

In your opinion, what would qualify to be a basketball 'fan'?

 

 

 

I am only talking about the NHL. In my case I am a fan of the Sabres but I am a fan of hockey and the NHL as a whole. In the U.S. there is not enough fans of the league and hockey as a whole. Thats what I mean when I say a lot aren't fans of hockey. Its one thing to watch your team play. But when some of the best hockey of the season is being played and you aren't watching means you really aren't a fan of the NHL or hockey. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Jrb1979 said:

I am only talking about the NHL. In my case I am a fan of the Sabres but I am a fan of hockey and the NHL as a whole. In the U.S. there is not enough fans of the league and hockey as a whole. Thats what I mean when I say a lot aren't fans of hockey. Its one thing to watch your team play. But when some of the best hockey of the season is being played and you aren't watching means you really aren't a fan of the NHL or hockey

 

So someone who is a fan of college basketball but not the NBA could potentially not be a fan of basketball. That makes no sense to me.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, SinceThe70s said:

 

So someone who is a fan of college basketball but not the NBA could potentially not be a fan of basketball. That makes no sense to me.

 

 

 

Maybe I am wording it wrong. You can be a fan of hockey but if you only watch your team you obviously not a big fan of the sport if you don't watch when the important part of the season is going on. 

 

A lot of Bills fans seem to be like that too. They are big Bills fans but tune out the rest of the league when the Bills aren't playing. They may like football but not enough to watch the NFL as a whole. 

  • Like (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Crap. I hope Torts can get these Jackets motivated to take back the series. 

  • Thanks! (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Big C said:

Crap. I hope Torts can get these Jackets motivated to take back the series. 

Same here, I was hoping it went into overtime. ***** the bruins...

 

 

  • Haha (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...