Extending current players: Poyer/Hughes?

Who should be extended in 2019?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Who should the Bills extend with new contracts?

40 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Hughes, you need for 2-3 more years since we are very thin at that position and he is still really good (front load the contract), you can find a good safety in this draft (pretty deep IIRC), depending on how BPA goes you may end up drafting a replacement. 

Edit: I'm not necessarily against extending him, but I certainly wouldn't overpay him. Hyde is the better of the 2

I hear your logic on this, but there's a value to continuity, something McDermott asserted yesterday. Undervaluing the importance of Poyer in this defense would go against "the process" as far as I interpret it. Part of "the process" is building a family that pushes each other to another level. 

1 minute ago, klos63 said:

Why would ya?

LOL. What I was going for was if he was asking for too much $$$, I would choose Hyde over him. Safeties are getting paid good money in FA, in order to stay in good cap shape you can only really allocate some much cash to each position. 

Just now, thurst44 said:

I hear your logic on this, but there's a value to continuity, something McDermott asserted yesterday. Undervaluing the importance of Poyer in this defense would go against "the process" as far as I interpret it. Part of "the process" is building a family that pushes each other to another level. 

There is also value to the cap per position group, if you overspend in one position group it cuts into what you pay others. Teams generally do not pay 2 safeties, I would choose to pay Hyde over Poyer. Now if you are able to get a team friendly deal with Poyer, by all means re-sign him, but you still have to be conscious of the $$ going out. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

The Bills should be looking at extensions for some of their current players in addition to FA acquisitions. Right now there are only two who are eligible and arguably deserving. They have the space to do it. Many believe Poyer has out performed his current contract he sighed when he came here in 2017. Neither player was signed by Beane, but McD was here when Poyer was signed.

Poyer will be 28 next month. He’s 2 years into a 4 year 13 mill deal. 6 mill gtd. UFA 2021. I could see him hold out for a bigger deal. That’s peanuts for a decent starting safety. 

Hughes  is 30 but still arguably the best player on the Bills defense and appears to take care of himself. Unless the Bills pick up Shaq’s 5th year option, they would have no DEs under contract for next year if they let Hughes play it out. Going into last year of his deal. 5 yr/45 mill with 22 mill gtd. 

Which players do you think should he extended? 

Murphy is signed thru 2020 but they can get out of it easily next year and I don't see Shaq being worth 5th year option money.

It would seem to me a left DE upgrade would take precedent over the right side which makes a Hughes extension very possible.

14 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

LOL. What I was going for was if he was asking for too much $$$, I would choose Hyde over him. Safeties are getting paid good money in FA, in order to stay in good cap shape you can only really allocate some much cash to each position. 

There is also value to the cap per position group, if you overspend in one position group it cuts into what you pay others. Teams generally do not pay 2 safeties, I would choose to pay Hyde over Poyer. Now if you are able to get a team friendly deal with Poyer, by all means re-sign him, but you still have to be conscious of the $$ going out. 

Beane doesn't seem like the type that will get us in cap problems. We still have plenty of space , the cap goes up every year and we lose big contracts regularly too.

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

He’s above average and underpaid imo 

PFF has him as Above Average and the 45th ranked safety in the league, Hyde is good & #6. 

9 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Beane doesn't seem like the type that will get us in cap problems. We still have plenty of space , the cap goes up every year and we lose big contracts regularly too.

The cap space will start to go, and we have plenty of contracts expiring next year that will cost us a good chunk of space plus contracts of Milano, Tre White  and so on that will be close to re-doing. You still have to be vigilant with the cap. Don't get me wrong I like Poyer and want him to stay on the team, just saying we have to be smart.

11 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

PFF has him as Above Average and the 45th ranked safety in the league, Hyde is good & #6. 

The cap space will start to go, and we have plenty of contracts expiring next year that will cost us a good chunk of space plus contracts of Milano, Tre White  and so on that will be close to re-doing. You still have to be vigilant with the cap. Don't get me wrong I like Poyer and want him to stay on the team, just saying we have to be smart.

TV contracts are up soon. Expect Amazon to get in to streaming with Sunday Ticket. Yes, you still have to be smart but revenues will increase and the cap with continue to increase as well

9 minutes ago, nucci said:

TV contracts are up soon. Expect Amazon to get in to streaming with Sunday Ticket. Yes, you still have to be smart but revenues will increase and the cap with continue to increase as well

Average FS cap allocation is $6.9 million for 2019, we are at $6.125 total and ranked the 11th highest in the league, Poyer ranks #16 on the FS list for 2019 cap dollars at $4.3 million:

image.thumb.png.ea282984f7c81b81597b055ca272a1e4.png 

image.thumb.png.2bea1ecdeeb8ca12b8d9fca97e2c93b4.png

image.thumb.png.85c8a3594103b5d9799944d9491e3cfc.png

Now look at SS: 

image.thumb.png.fca6359a9465a332b60b825a09ccd574.png

image.thumb.png.02f2cdf307161b88d4a76c0da4790583.png

image.thumb.png.0d6501d94b7da6ef047bda4773ae6e00.png

Just not sure you allocate too much more $$ at FS. Yes the cap goes up every year, but so do contracts at all positions, especially skill positions such as QB, WR, CB, DE. 

2 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

I voted "both". On a related note, how soon can we extend Tre White?

Need 3 full seasons...

Don't forget if we don't pick up Lawson's contract, we will have no DEs under contract next year and they cost $$. the DL will be a big concern for us next season and cost us $$ and cap space. Tre will be the year after...

Edited by Reed83HOF

I would not pick up Lawson's 5th year. 

I would sign Hughes to a solid deal. Hughes has not been hurt, and has very quietly turned into a leader on this team. Hughes has cut down on the emmotional outbursts. Love to see him here for at least another two years. 

In regards to Poyer i have to believe Beane relies on McDermotts evaluation on what he is worth. IF the Bills do not extend Poyer it would leave me to believe that McDermott believes he can replace Poyers production with a cheaper option. McDermott knows D backfield talent. 

2 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

Does Milano really get a big contract? He's a nice player, but is he worth a long term deal right now?

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I'd try not to extend Poyer, but there have been whispers that he might try and force their hand this offseason. When do OTAs start? His is the key name to look for.

I'd like to give Hughes a 2 year extension that is really a one year extension..... a bit more guaranteed money in 2020 and some non guaranteed money for 2021.

Poyer is the player you do want to extend, for PR reasons.

Signing a free agent for peanuts who well out-performs his contract and "taking care of him," is the name of the game.

1 minute ago, klos63 said:

Does Milano really get a big contract? He's a nice player, but is he worth a long term deal right now?

I would extend him...

7 minutes ago, Cotton Fitzsimmons said:

The other day YE OLE was listening to Joe Marino's podcast and this idea of extending current players came up. He stated that Poyer's market value would be around $10 mil per season at this juncture. 

Dude will get paid as an FA. I just don't see us going an extra $6 million a season for a Free Safety. Pass rushers is where I think we will spend a good chunk of change and to extend Tre, Milano, etc...