Extending current players: Poyer/Hughes?

Who should be extended in 2019?  

133 members have voted

1. 1. Who should the Bills extend with new contracts?

The Bills should be looking at extensions for some of their current players in addition to FA acquisitions. Right now there are only two who are eligible and arguably deserving. They have the space to do it. Many believe Poyer has out performed his current contract he sighed when he came here in 2017. Neither player was signed by Beane, but McD was here when Poyer was signed.

Poyer will be 28 next month. He’s 2 years into a 4 year 13 mill deal. 6 mill gtd. UFA 2021. I could see him hold out for a bigger deal. That’s peanuts for a decent starting safety. 

Hughes  is 30 but still arguably the best player on the Bills defense and appears to take care of himself. Unless the Bills pick up Shaq’s 5th year option, they would have no DEs under contract for next year if they let Hughes play it out. Going into last year of his deal. 5 yr/45 mill with 22 mill gtd. 

Which players do you think should he extended? 

Edited by YoloinOhio

I'd try not to extend Poyer, but there have been whispers that he might try and force their hand this offseason. When do OTAs start? His is the key name to look for.

I'd like to give Hughes a 2 year extension that is really a one year extension..... a bit more guaranteed money in 2020 and some non guaranteed money for 2021.

• Like (+1) 2

I'd extend Hughes for another 2 years; need to keep him while replacements are brought in.

Poyer should also be extended for another 4 years, which is two more past his current contract.  The Poyer/Hyde safety tandem is a good one, keep it going for as long as possible.

• Like (+1) 1

This poll reminds YE OLE of that snappy little parody chronicling the trials and tribulations of our beloved Sabres in 2007. It was set to Arthur’s Theme and went a little something like this *clears throat*:

When you get caught between Dan Briere and Drury... the best that you can do... is sign them both!

• Sad 1

24 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I'd extend Hughes for another 2 years; need to keep him while replacements are brought in.

Poyer should also be extended for another 4 years, which is two more past his current contract.  The Poyer/Hyde safety tandem is a good one, keep it going for as long as possible.

Plus he's still really good

• Like (+1) 2

Where are we at on Poyer now?  Is he good or average?  Or is "average" playing next to Micah Hyde good? Or the other way around?

Edited by LeviF91

Hughes, you need for 2-3 more years since we are very thin at that position and he is still really good (front load the contract), you can find a good safety in this draft (pretty deep IIRC), depending on how BPA goes you may end up drafting a replacement. 

Edit: I'm not necessarily against extending him, but I certainly wouldn't overpay him. Hyde is the better of the 2

Edited by Reed83HOF
  • Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, nucci said:

He's good and the secondary is the best part of the defense

A month ago there were several here saying he was average and possibly below average.

5 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

Where are we at on Poyer now?  Is he good or average?  Or is "average" playing next to Micah Hyde good?

He is good. The partnership with Hyde is part of it..... but in the modern NFL a safety who makes as many plays on the ball as Poyer does is good.

I actually picked neither.. Not that they don’t deserve it, but this season coming up should tell if they should get extensions or not. Depending who we add we are going to need a monster year from Hughes and his price won’t be cheap regardless. So he would need to produce big time for me this season if I’m considering extending him. Poyer I’m not so sure about, his play is hot/cold at times. If I had to make the choice right now I wouldn’t extend either 

59 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The Bills should be looking at extensions for some of their current players in addition to FA acquisitions. Right now there are only two who are eligible and arguably deserving. They have the space to do it. Many believe Poyer has out performed his current contract he sighed when he came here in 2017. Neither player was signed by Beane, but McD was here when Poyer was signed.

Poyer will be 28 next month. He’s 2 years into a 4 year 13 mill deal. 6 mill gtd. UFA 2021. I could see him hold out for a bigger deal. That’s peanuts for a decent starting safety. 

Hughes  is 30 but still arguably the best player on the Bills defense and appears to take care of himself. Unless the Bills pick up Shaq’s 5th year option, they would have no DEs under contract for next year if they let Hughes play it out. Going into last year of his deal. 5 yr/45 mill with 22 mill gtd. 

Depends on the draft. 

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

Didn't Beane recently mention that they would be working to extend Hughes?

39 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Hughes, you need for 2-3 more years since we are very thin at that position and he is still really good (front load the contract), you can find a good safety in this draft (pretty deep IIRC), depending on how BPA goes you may end up drafting a replacement. 

Edit: I'm not necessarily against extending him, but I certainly wouldn't overpay him. Hyde is the better of the 2

Why would ya?

• Haha (+1) 1