My dog is at the Vet$ overnight

boater

45 minutes ago, boater said:

Thank you for your words. Here I am days and many dollars later, trying to decide the best action. She was not doing well at the Vet today, and clearly wanted to come home. I'm tempted to bring her home tomorrow for a good nights sleep on the sofa with my daughter, then bring her back to be put down.

I'm crying now, which is unusual for me.

Yes. They do a daily CBC. Nothing stands out as a cause.

Right now she is stable, but has a continuous twitch which the Vet attributes to elevated sodium and imbalanced electrolytes. It's no way to live, I don't know how much longer I'll let it go on.

They check kidney function?  They hydrating her with IV fluids?

I'm far more savvy with cat health than dogs...but I know enough that a daily CBC isn't nearly enough on its own, and a vast majority of the time high sodium is caused by dehydration.  So they better be giving her ringer's lactate.

54 minutes ago, boater said:

Thank you for your words. Here I am days and many dollars later, trying to decide the best action. She was not doing well at the Vet today, and clearly wanted to come home. I'm tempted to bring her home tomorrow for a good nights sleep on the sofa with my daughter, then bring her back to be put down.

Right now she is stable, but has a continuous twitch which the Vet attributes to elevated sodium and imbalanced electrolytes. It's no way to live, I don't know how much longer I'll let it go on.

I’m so sorry. This is heartbreaking 

12 hours ago, boater said:

this may sound callous ... 

End the suffering and anxiety for both.   Get a new pup.  Your last wont be forgotten, but the remedy will help heal the soul. 

Time does heal, I promise. Remember the good times and know nothing lasts forever.

After our last dog was put down unexpectedly, my son came home to learn the terrible surprise. He said “I wish I had played with her more.” I sometimes remind him, and myself, of that. Hug your loved ones (and throw a ball!) as often as you can. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, boater said:

Hard with dogs..our first puppy as a couple got parvo...doc was like 50/50 she pulls through if we treat, and it was like $1500. It was a very hard decision, but we made it..so I get what you are going through.No right or no wrong answer...you will do what's best, you just will.

I am just back from the vet myself with a 3 yr old with a torn ACL. Even that is tough to justify what it is going to cost to get that sucker fixed. Problem is doc says better than 50/50 chance he will blow the left one as well...my dogs live for their daily run in the woods, can't take that away from him...but damn this is a lot of money 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, plenzmd1 said:

Hard with dogs..our first puppy as a couple got parvo...doc was like 50/50 she pulls through if we treat, and it was like $1500. It was a very hard decision, but we made it..so I get what you are going through.No right or no wrong answer...you will do what's best, you just will.

I am just back from the vet myself with a 3 yr old with a torn ACL. Even that is tough to justify what it is going to cost to get that sucker fixed. Problem is doc says better than 50/50 chance he will blow the left one as well...my dogs live for their daily run in the woods, can't take that away from him...but damn this is a lot of money 

You guys need to get pet insurance. Will cover things like this. 

2 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

My pup (10 months old) was one of the first cases (relatively speaking) in New York 

We were in Dansville for a weekend to watch the Fireman competition.  Started Friday night listless on Saturday he couldn't move.  

We went to a local vet and he said  sorry there's nothing I can do.  Gave him a shot to put him down and sent us on out way.  Free of charge.  

21 hours ago, boater said:

When we had to put our dog down, we arranged for a vet to come to the house.  He gave her the injection while she lay in my wife’s lap.  A pet cremation service came in immediately and took her away. We had the extended family all come over to say goodbye.  She was fifteen years old, so we all had become very attached. That was a hard day.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

*** UPDATE ***

Thank you everyone one for kind words of understanding and support.

Diagnosis: Leptospirosis, which is very hard to treat, often fatal. 

I couldn't afford the overnight vet hospital bills any longer, 3 nights was enough. I told the vet she was coming home--one way or another. So I brought Lilly home with a sack full of pills to administer. She is resting in her favorite spot and being a darn good patient. I love her. Wish me luck at being a dog nurse.

a.thumb.jpg.24e433eac9af5504193c482e3aacbd34.jpg

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

22 hours ago, DC Tom said:

They check kidney function?  They hydrating her with IV fluids?

I'm far more savvy with cat health than dogs...but I know enough that a daily CBC isn't nearly enough on its own, and a vast majority of the time high sodium is caused by dehydration.  So they better be giving her ringer's lactate.

Yep. They pumped up her up with IV's. That seems to have been the turning point. Right now, liver numbers are elevated. We'll have to figure that out.

On 3/26/2019 at 4:57 PM, boater said:

One of my dogs is seriously sick. It's a new experience for me as I have gotten bullet proof dogs my whole life. This is big bucks, I won't go into the total.

I feel like all I'm paying for is a 24 hour IV. I told the vet one night only. If they can't get her comfortable by tomorrow I may have them put her down.

One, I have little confidence in the vet, they really don't know what is going on--their words. Two, she is in pain. Three, I can't afford the Cleveland Clinic approach to pet health care.

She's only 4 years old. I feel tremendous guilt in maybe putting her down.

Damn I just started a thread and it's very similar. Sorry to hear if a mod wants to merge or delete my thread totally fine.

Sorry to hear, that's awful

3 minutes ago, Ol Dirty B said:

Damn I just started a thread and it's very similar. Sorry to hear if a mod wants to merge or delete my thread totally fine.

Sorry to hear, that's awful

Thanks.

Your thread should stand. This is Off The Wall.. different standards should apply.

I wish you grace in whatever situation faces you.

1 minute ago, boater said:

Thanks.

Your thread should stand. This is Off The Wall.. different standards should apply.

I wish you grace in whatever situation faces you.

Thanks man. I totally understand your dilemma. If my mom and her husband didnt invest so much money in our dog we would have lost her years ago. I couldn't afford it. My friend has a younger dog with a leg issue it was like 3k for the surgery he can't afford it. The dogs happy but can't run or go for walks, really sucks sometimes. You care about the dog though, I'm sure you've given it a great home. That's what people tell me, but it still doesn't really make it any easier.

• Like (+1) 1