My dog is at the Vet$ overnight

boater

One of my dogs is seriously sick. It's a new experience for me as I have gotten bullet proof dogs my whole life. This is big bucks, I won't go into the total.

I feel like all I'm paying for is a 24 hour IV. I told the vet one night only. If they can't get her comfortable by tomorrow I may have them put her down.

One, I have little confidence in the vet, they really don't know what is going on--their words. Two, she is in pain. Three, I can't afford the Cleveland Clinic approach to pet health care.

She's only 4 years old. I feel tremendous guilt in maybe putting her down.

• Sad 6

Good luck! I hope they figure it out. There should be a way to keep her out of pain, but what do I know? You hate it when they suffer, but you hate to give up without a real fight. If you’re not a dog lover, you might not get this. 

Maybe at least consult with another vet if you really have no confidence where you are? 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, boater said:

One of my dogs is seriously sick. It's a new experience for me as I have gotten bullet proof dogs my whole life. This is big bucks, I won't go into the total.

I feel like all I'm paying for is a 24 hour IV. I told the vet one night only. If they can't get her comfortable by tomorrow I may have them put her down.

One, I have little confidence in the vet, they really don't know what is going on--their words. Two, she is in pain. Three, I can't afford the Cleveland Clinic approach to pet health care.

They told you they”don’t know what’s going on”?  You need a new vet.

Try to find one that specializes in small animals (dogs, cats, rabbits, hamsters, etc) as opposed to horses, cows, reptiles

I don’t know where you’re located - we use Transit Animal Hospital in Depew.  Dr. Geoff spent 14 years at Cornell as an undergrad, vet student, PhD student, and professor.  They’re not cheap, but they’re competent.

Depending on where you live, try finding one from these schools..

https://www.usnews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-health-schools/veterinarian-rankings

• Like (+1) 1

When my most recent dog was about 2, she had some kind of accident at a doggie day care (that I had forbidden, but I was out of town). I got the call that she’d been hurt but was resting comfortably away from the other dogs. Long story, but I thought we would have to put her down at a young age, and it was killing me. It turns out there was a surgical option, but it co$t thou$and$. Not for everyone, and I’m NOT judging, but I was glad we could go that route and get her the therapy she needed. We were blessed. She’s 9 now, and sleeping at my feet. We were blessed to be able to save her. I can’t tell you what she’s meant to us over that period of time. Some rough days there. 

At some cost/age, there is always the question. How much do you invest? What might the outcome be? How much longer will she last? What will he quality of life be? A lot of questions, and in some ways we treat our pets better than people. Just don’t let them suffer, that’s my primary concern. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, boater said:

I do not know where you are located, but.. a vet teaching hospital can be an economical alternative (like Cornell, Gainesville, etc). They have the students as lackeys  (so free labor) and the graduated vets taking care of the animals. The vets that are working on specialized advanced certifications (neurology, oncology, etc) are already veterinarians who are working on the advanced specialty under vets who are their teachers and who are well qualified in the specialization. 

Good luck to you and your doggie. We lost our little pooch last fall after his long, long battle with a horrible disease. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Emergency clinic?  They're expensive, and in my experience except for acute injury (e.g. setting a broken leg, poison control), they provide supportive care until the animal's regular vet can see the pet.

If it's your regular vet...get a new vet, sorry.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, boater said:

Good luck, Boater.  These decisions are never easy.  I'm sure you'll make the right one for you, your family and your dog.  I wish you all the best.

• Like (+1) 1

Thoughts are with you and your pup. I’ll say this, as someone that lost a dog a little over a year ago. I would have sold everything I owned just to get one more day with my pup. No matter what seems like a lot now, is nothing compared to your pups life and joy they bring you. 

I hope ahe she gets through it ok. 

• Like (+1) 1

On 3/26/2019 at 4:57 PM, boater said:

On 3/26/2019 at 6:08 PM, RaoulDuke79 said:

Best of luck. It's tough not to feel guilty un a situation such as yours, but we're not all millionaires. It sounds like you're doing the best you can given the circumstances. 

Please don't feel guilty if you decide to put your dog down if they can't figure out what's wrong with her in short order. IMO, if a dog is suffering, it's better to put him/her down too soon than to let him linger.  On Feb 17, my 11 year old Standard Poodle began vomiting and couldn't keep down even water.  I took him to the emergency pet clinic 50 miles away.  They thought it was pancreatitis because he had had a bout with that about 5 years ago.  They kept him overnight but he didn't respond as well as they had expected, but I took him to my own vet as per their instructions where he was to stay at least for several hours.  When I visited him that afternoon, he still wasn't doing well and was refusing to eat.  I was torn between giving up then and putting him down or waiting another day in hopes he would improve.  I waited another 24 hours, but his condition significantly deteriorated.  When I finally decided to put him down, I don't think he knew I was there with him.  I should have gone with my gut feeling and put him down on the day I brought him back to Jamestown so he would Known that I was there for him.  I will always wonder if he felt abandoned at the vet, and the stress from that contributed to his worsening condition ...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Sad 1

Like Buffalo Gal said, If there is a Univ nearby that has a veterinary school I would call them. 6 years ago a lousy vet charged us a lot of money and then told me after a couple days to take him home, they had done what they could and he would die. I contacted the Oregon St Univ vet school. They told me to bring him in. An amazing veterinarian and a team of students had him for an afternoon and fixed him up. He will be 14 in June and still acts young. Good Luck, I wish you the best.

Edited by Turk71
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, SoTier said:

Please don't feel guilty if you decide to put your dog down if they can't figure out what's wrong with her in short order. IMO, if a dog is suffering, it's better to put him/her down too soon than to let him linger.  On Feb 17, my 11 year old Standard Poodle began vomiting and couldn't keep down even water.  I took him to the emergency pet clinic 50 miles away.  They thought it was pancreatitis because he had had a bout with that about 5 years ago.  They kept him overnight but he didn't respond as well as they had expected, but I took him to my own vet as per their instructions where he was to stay at least for several hours.  When I visited him that afternoon, he still wasn't doing well and was refusing to eat.  I was torn between giving up then and putting him down or waiting another day in hopes he would improve.  I waited another 24 hours, but his condition significantly deteriorated.  When I finally decided to put him down, I don't think he knew I was there with him.  I should have gone with my gut feeling and put him down on the day I brought him back to Jamestown so he would Known that I was there for him.  I will always wonder if he felt abandoned at the vet, and the stress from that contributed to his worsening condition ...

Thank you for your words. Here I am days and many dollars later, trying to decide the best action. She was not doing well at the Vet today, and clearly wanted to come home. I'm tempted to bring her home tomorrow for a good nights sleep on the sofa with my daughter, then bring her back to be put down.

I'm crying now, which is unusual for me.

7 minutes ago, LeviF91 said:

Update? Did they run diagnostics? Did you allow diagnostics?

Yes. They do a daily CBC. Nothing stands out as a cause.

Right now she is stable, but has a continuous twitch which the Vet attributes to elevated sodium and imbalanced electrolytes. It's no way to live, I don't know how much longer I'll let it go on.

• Sad 7

14 minutes ago, boater said:

Thank you for your words. Here I am days and many dollars later, trying to decide the best action. She was not doing well at the Vet today, and clearly wanted to come home. I'm tempted to bring her home tomorrow for a good nights sleep on the sofa with my daughter, then bring her back to be put down.

I'm crying now, which is unusual for me.

Yes. They do a daily CBC. Nothing stands out as a cause.

Right now she is stable, but has a continuous twitch which the Vet attributes to elevated sodium and imbalanced electrolytes. It's no way to live, I don't know how much longer I'll let it go on.

It's a tough situation man, especially with the unknown diagnosis, but it seems like torture for you and maybe even the dog to keep going on in the current state. It's all about the quality of life. I was in your shoes a few months back, and fortunately I knew the diagnosis so it made the decision cut and dry. I brought him home to see the wife and kids and cooked him some deer steaks for his last meal (which he ate eagerly after having to be spoon fed for several weeks). I'm not an emotional guy, but it takes a toll. I cried more that day than I did when my dad passed. It's not easy, but it's inevitable. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2