My dog is at the Vet$ overnight

boater

She's resting here in her favorite sofa spot. Greyhounds are thin by nature, but your can see here she's a bit too thin even for a Greyhound. Fattening her up has been a real challenge. She's such a good girl.

b.thumb.JPG.a1ca35f1ab3778765cc89a08aa0b7187.JPG

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, boater said:

*** UPDATE ***

Thank you everyone one for kind words of understanding and support.

Diagnosis: Leptospirosis, which is very hard to treat, often fatal. 

I couldn't afford the overnight vet hospital bills any longer, 3 nights was enough. I told the vet she was coming home--one way or another. So I brought Lilly home with a sack full of pills to administer. She is resting in her favorite spot and being a darn good patient. I love her. Wish me luck at being a dog nurse.

a.thumb.jpg.24e433eac9af5504193c482e3aacbd34.jpg

Hey good buddy!

Glad to hear they finally came up with a diagnosis.

That’s quite a laundry list of meds, but I’m sure you’ll be an excellent doggie nurse, as you are already an excellent doggie lover and owner.

Best to you and Lilly - hopefully many more years together.

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, boater said:

She's resting here in her favorite sofa spot. Greyhounds are thin by nature, but your can see here she's a bit too thin even for a Greyhound. Fattening her up has been a real challenge. She's such a good girl.

I know not everyone's a fan of the Dan lebatard show, I remember listening to this when it happened. I've listened to it 3 times tonight, maybe you'll enjoy it too. It really reflects a lot of how it has been with my dog so maybe I find it more relatable. That's tough that shes so young.

• Like (+1) 2

25 minutes ago, boater said:

*** UPDATE ***

Thank you everyone one for kind words of understanding and support.

Diagnosis: Leptospirosis, which is very hard to treat, often fatal. 

I couldn't afford the overnight vet hospital bills any longer, 3 nights was enough. I told the vet she was coming home--one way or another. So I brought Lilly home with a sack full of pills to administer. She is resting in her favorite spot and being a darn good patient. I love her. Wish me luck at being a dog nurse.

a.thumb.jpg.24e433eac9af5504193c482e3aacbd34.jpg

Be careful.  Leptospirosis infects people as well.  It's not something you want.  It infects by contact, so wear gloves while you're handling her, particularly in contact with bodily fluids (saliva, urine, feces - wear gloves when scooping.)  It's also a pretty hardy spirochete...so if she's peed in your yard, the soil there could be harboring the spirochete for quite some time (weeks to months, I believe).  Don't panic - it ain't Ebola or yellow-fever level dangerous.  But it's not exactly something you want to catch, either.

I know some of those drugs from taking care of my cats.  Cerenia is an excellent, benign drug, and works well on my cat with chronic kidney disease - in fact, I have to prepare it for her right now.  Which means she's going to keep me up all night telling me she feels better and I should give her something to eat.  Two of the antibiotics are a tetracycline and amoxicillin, pretty standard stuff.  Metronidazole and Famotidine together are a standard intestinal treatment - Famotidine, in fact, is nothing more than Pepcid-AC; our vet didn't even prescribe it, just gave us the dosage and told us to buy it over the counter.  Denamarin I know nothing about.

So it's a scary-looking list...but really, not as scary as it seems.  Four of those are standard "tummy ache" treatment in my experience.

• Like (+1) 2

19 minutes ago, DC Tom said:

Be careful.  Leptospirosis infects people as well.  It's not something you want.  It infects by contact, so wear gloves while you're handling her, particularly in contact with bodily fluids (saliva, urine, feces - wear gloves when scooping.)  It's also a pretty hardy spirochete...so if she's peed in your yard, the soil there could be harboring the spirochete for quite some time (weeks to months, I believe).  Don't panic - it ain't Ebola or yellow-fever level dangerous.  But it's not exactly something you want to catch, either.

I know some of those drugs from taking care of my cats.  Cerenia is an excellent, benign drug, and works well on my cat with chronic kidney disease - in fact, I have to prepare it for her right now.  Which means she's going to keep me up all night telling me she feels better and I should give her something to eat.  Two of the antibiotics are a tetracycline and amoxicillin, pretty standard stuff.  Metronidazole and Famotidine together are a standard intestinal treatment - Famotidine, in fact, is nothing more than Pepcid-AC; our vet didn't even prescribe it, just gave us the dosage and told us to buy it over the counter.  Denamarin I know nothing about.

So it's a scary-looking list...but really, not as scary as it seems.  Four of those are standard "tummy ache" treatment in my experience.

You're harsh at times, but I've generally liked a lot of your posts if I hadn't said so before. We disagree sometimes, but I've always been able to tell you're a smart guy. Great post here, always good to see people looking out for each other.

• Like (+1) 1

The Met is an easy antibiotic (my dog took it for years).

Denamarin is actually an OTC med that does not require a script. It is for the liver (my dog kinda took it for years - he was a horrible pill taker so we got the two parts that are the "active" ingredients in Denamarin via Amazon, and he took those two parts for years).

If your dog needs these meds long term (no idea if this will be one and done for all) you can look to walgreens family card and add your dog as a family member (I think it is $35 a year for the family). I've had it for years as it makes my scripts cheaper than under my health insurance, and my pharmacist told me pets could be included, so I added him. You can also check online pet med prices (there are several very reputable ones ... heck Cornell had us get compound meds from diamondback drugs once their pharmacy no longer compounded, so as I said there are reputable online vet pharmacies ), and again if you are near a vet school their pharmacy prices can be lower than your veterinarian.

Best wishes to you and your pooch. ?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, boater said:

Such a sleepy little cutie. Wishes and prayers hoping she will be ok. 

I like dogs dogs more than I like people and your story is making me sad. I really hope she gets through this. 

• Like (+1) 3

13 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

Daddy buy me a puppy.  I promise I'll take care if it. 

2 weeks later you are the one taking care of all its needs ....  

My son would run the dog around the block in the middle of the street so she couldn’t stop in the grass and poop. He would rather sprint than pick up poop. At least she got some exercise? 

• Like (+1) 1

Best wishes it’s everything! Hope your pup makes a full recovery! 

Here - 

https://www.chewy.com/milk-bone-pill-pouches-real-chicken/dp/131924?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=Milk-Bone&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKCAjwp_zkBRBBEiwAndwD9byzPhRjUNDnKA4k81yn7OApm41e7Fk7FQ8zXWVGo0_ulb5qw-SFOBoCflYQAvD_BwE

in case you need something to help get your dog to swallow her pills. These “pill pouch” treats work pretty well. They have other kinds besides this one, too. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Nanker said:

Good luck and best wishes. Greyhounds are very special dogs - and most dogs are special.  

...and when they are retired racers, like Lilly, there is something especially soulful about them I can't put my finger on.

Professional athletes.. see what they do to us ;)

• Awesome! (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BillsFan4 said:

Best wishes it’s everything! Hope your pup makes a full recovery! 

Here - 

https://www.chewy.com/milk-bone-pill-pouches-real-chicken/dp/131924?utm_source=google-product&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=f&utm_content=Milk-Bone&utm_term=&gclid=CjwKCAjwp_zkBRBBEiwAndwD9byzPhRjUNDnKA4k81yn7OApm41e7Fk7FQ8zXWVGo0_ulb5qw-SFOBoCflYQAvD_BwE

in case you need something to help get your dog to swallow her pills. These “pill pouch” treats work pretty well. They have other kinds besides this one, too. 

Thanks. I've been wrapping pills in canned dog food. It works but is messy as heck.

I was aware of pill-pockets, but I was not aware of chewy.com... which outscores Amazon in price. Thanks!

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, boater said:

Thanks. I've been wrapping pills in canned dog food. It works but is messy as heck.

I was aware of pill-pockets, but I was not aware of chewy.com... which outscores Amazon in price. Thanks!

We use cream cheese, or peanut butter - very messy.

Chewy.com is great - I buy almost everything thru them.

17 hours ago, boater said:

We get Pill Pockets at the pet store. She LOVES them, and they’re very easy to use. I’m not sure if they are expensive, but it sure makes it easy! You can get several pills into each pocket. 

Hope all is going as well as possible. 

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, Augie said:

We get Pill Pockets at the pet store. She LOVES them, and they’re very easy to use. I’m not sure if they are expensive, but it sure makes it easy! You can get several pills into each pocket. 

Hope all is going as well as possible. 

boater needs to clear that with the vet..milk bones are not good for pups,especially ones that are ill. Maybe some fresh boiled chicken breast would be better for Lilly? 

6 minutes ago, Misterbluesky said:

boater needs to clear that with the vet..milk bones are not good for pups,especially ones that are ill. Maybe some fresh boiled chicken breast would be better for Lilly? 

When it comes to my dog, I’ll clear everything in question with the vet! I don’t know about Milk Bones, but the vet has suggested pill pockets to us in the past. They are specifically designed for this use and well established, but each case might be different. I’d feel safer (and cleaner) doing that than other home made vehicles like peanut butter, or boiled chicken. For her benefit, we give her nothing but her one brand of dog food. No table scraps or variations. Even changing a dog’s food can have a bad reaction and cause your carpets to become......your former carpet. I learned this the hard way! 

People often don’t realize things like an Advil, chocolate and certain plants (even common house plants) can really harm a dog. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, Augie said:

When it comes to my dog, I’ll clear everything in question with the vet! I don’t know about Milk Bones, but the vet has suggested pill pockets to us in the past. They are specifically designed for this use and well established, but each case might be different. I’d feel safer (and cleaner) doing that than other home made vehicles like peanut butter, or boiled chicken. For her benefit, we give her nothing but her one brand of dog food. No table scraps or variations. Even changing a dog’s food can have a bad reaction and cause your carpets to become......your former carpet. I learned this the hard way! 

People often don’t realize things like an Advil, chocolate and certain plants (even common house plants) can really harm a dog. 

Ohh..never change a dog's food entirely...slowly mix the new brand in.

Most foods come off the same conveyor belt...even the "allergic" foods.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Augie said:

I sneak our Ellie treats when the boss isn't around.She loves turkey breast (deli) and pretzel sticks.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Misterbluesky said:

I sneak our Ellie treats when the boss isn't around.She loves turkey breast (deli) and pretzel sticks.

We do have certain treats on our approved list. We knew some folks who would take leftovers home in a doggie bag....and it really was for the dog! They would cook it up in the morning with eggs, and whatever else the people happened to be eating. They thought they were showing the dog love, but they were actually slowly killing the fattest Golden Retreiver I’ve ever seen.  Rusty died young and they grieved as we all do. I don’t think they ever got the connection. Dogs are only fat if you make them that way.