Talent vs Multiple low level players?

Who would you rather have?   

82 members have voted

1. 1. Talent or Borderline players

• AB or Bell
    • Beasley, John Brown, and Gore

27 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Can a mod pin this somewhere?

It won't matter. Based on his posts in this thread, my guess is that, by the time your bet comes to fruition, his current username will be long gone - buried in the ever growing heap of banned trolls; and he will be on here under some new username - probably his 5th or 6th...and counting...

39 minutes ago, 100DollarBills said:

I’m willing to bet the Raiders are in the playoffs before the Bills again. 

LOL

Bills will be in the playoffs next year, Raiders won’t. This free agent period couldn’t have gone any better. 

You keep building teams on Madden though.

These signings remind me of the early 2000s. The Bills brass are bringing in consolation prizes with a general philosophy of you can win with a bunch of average JAGs. Morse excluded. Don't see us making a deep run on the backs of Cole Beasley and John Brown. 

1 minute ago, BullBuchanan said:

These signings remind me of the early 2000s. The Bills brass are bringing in consolation prizes with a general philosophy of you can win with a bunch of average JAGs. Morse excluded. Don't see us making a deep run on the backs of Cole Beasley and John Brown. 

^this guy :lol:

39 minutes ago, ngbills said:

10 games last year with under 30 yards rec. 

7 (out of 10) with 32 or less

9 in the year before

In the last three years in the majority of games he gets shut down. Completely.

Antonio Brown 1 game in the last 3 years under 30. Only 2 times in the last 6 years.

So you gonna pretend to ignore the QB situation?  

Can you guess who the QB was last year for most of the ten games with under 30 yards? What about in the year before? 

And who was throwing to Antonio Brown? 

44 minutes ago, ngbills said:

10 games last year with under 30 yards rec. 

7 (out of 10) with 32 or less

9 in the year before

In the last three years in the majority of games he gets shut down. Completely.

Antonio Brown 1 game in the last 3 years under 30. Only 2 times in the last 6 years.

This is the danger of only looking at the stats. The story on John Brown is bigger than the numbers. He's a talented WR who hasn't been in a primary role yet and who has had some pretty bad QB's throwing to him in recent seasons.

6 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Yep - feels about right. Or like many of our signings over the past 15-20 years. Andra Davis, Dwan Edwards, Geoff Hangartner, Kawika Mitchell and so forth. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

Yep - feels about right. Or like many of our signings over the past 15-20 years. Andra Davis, Dwan Edwards, Geoff Hangartner, Kawika Mitchell and so forth. 

That's exactly it. Seems like Buffalo is always trying to take another team's niche rotational player and pay him to come here and try to be a marquee player. 

16 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Cole Bease has been regarded as one of the top slot guys in the league for a while now

John Brown is most known as a speed guy.....

A lot of these signings so far are low risk high reward who are coming off injuries have have shown production in the past.......this I agree with HOWEVER I worry much less about the name of the player then how they would fit our offensive and defensive schemes

And they fit

10 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

So you gonna pretend to ignore the QB situation?  

Can you guess who the QB was last year for most of the ten games with under 30 yards? What about in the year before? 

And who was throwing to Antonio Brown? 

Not ignoring. Just stating the facts vs trying to predict "what if the is was the qb or what if he was the primary WR". No matter how bad your QB is getting held under 30 yds that many times is a concern. I "hope" he can be more successful here but that is yet to be seen.

And in AZ Larry Fitz has seemed to put up good numbers with those QB's. 

5 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Cole Bease has been regarded as one of the top slot guys in the league for a while now

John Brown is most known as a speed guy.....

A lot of these signings so far are low risk high reward who are coming off injuries have have shown production in the past.......this I agree with HOWEVER I worry much less about the name of the player then how they would fit our offensive and defensive schemes

And they fit

They're moderate risk moderate reward like all Bills moves. These guys are all on the backside of their career, and now the Bills are asking them to carry the load. 

They overpay them enough so that they become the guy.

Edited by BullBuchanan

3 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Not ignoring. Just stating the facts vs trying to predict "what if the is was the qb or what if he was the primary WR". No matter how bad your QB is getting held under 30 yds that many times is a concern. I "hope" he can be more successful here but that is yet to be seen.

And in AZ Larry Fitz has seemed to put up good numbers with those QB's. 

But thats the thing, look at his numbers and when he put them up.  When he had good QB play, he put up good numbers.  Last year, before they took Flacco out, he was on pace for a thousand yards.  

You are right about Fitz, but Brown played behind Fitz.  That means less targets.  Thats the nature of the beast.  

I don't think what you are saying makes sense if you analyze the numbers in the context of who was throwing to him.  

2 hours ago, 100DollarBills said:

Multiple average players is why we are perpetually 7-9 or 9-7 

New England won their first SB after they signed a large number of mid priced free agents to improve their overall roster.  

We we played a lot of rookies last year.  Signing several quality veterans to reasonable contracts is the best way to improve the overall talent on the team.  The money spent on AB is money taken away from improving other areas.  Besides that AB is a sideshow that we don’t need.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

They're moderate risk moderate reward like all Bills moves. These guys are all on the backside of their career, and now the Bills are asking them to carry the load. 

But the people will love it because we are doing “something”

They overpay them enough so that they become the guy.

Dare I say that they are following the patriots model?

If you have a good to great QB you can make this work....and once again....this team BIULDS THROUGH THE DRAFT.....they are NOT being asked to carry the load...they are being asked to supplement it

1 minute ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

No, that means they have defined roles they want to put these guys in.  

This belief that the Bills are bringing these guys in to be stars is a thought you came up with on your own.  

So when are the stars coming? 

13 minutes ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

But thats the thing, look at his numbers and when he put them up.  When he had good QB play, he put up good numbers.  Last year, before they took Flacco out, he was on pace for a thousand yards.  

You are right about Fitz, but Brown played behind Fitz.  That means less targets.  Thats the nature of the beast.  

I don't think what you are saying makes sense if you analyze the numbers in the context of who was throwing to him.  

We shall see. He had a Zay Jones, Robert Foster type season but is getting paid like he belongs in the upper tier. Those guys had Peterman, Allen, Anderson, Barkley.

Not sure you get more than you would get from many other WR's that could be had. Again, hoping for the best. 

Edited by ngbills

Okay, so let's look at the results from last year for the top 5 WRs and RBs by yardage...

Top Five WR's in Yards:

Julio Jones – 1677 Yards, 8 TDs, 113 Rec – Atlanta 7-9

DeAndre Hopkins – 1572 Yards, 11 TDs, 115 Rec – Houston 11-5 — LOST in the WILD CARD (like the Bills did last year)

Mike Evans – 1542 Yards, 8 TDs, 86 Rec – Tampa 5-11

Tyreek Hill – 1479 Yards, 12 TDs, 87 Rec – KC 12-4 – LOST in the AFC Championship to NE (who featured the 29th highest WR by Yards)

JuJu Smith-Schuster – 1426 Yards, 7 TDs, 111 Rec – Pitt 9-6-1

Top Five RB's in Yards:

Ezekiel Elliot – 1434 Yards, 6 TDs – Dallas 10-6 – LOST in the Divisional Rnd to LA Rams (featuring the 55th ranked RB CJ Anderson)

Saquon Barkley – 1307 Yards, 11 TDs – NYG 5-11

Todd Gurley – 1251 Yards, 17 TDs – LAR 13-3 — SUPERBOWL (Gurley rushed for 10 yards in the NFCC and 35 yards in the SB)

Joe Mixon – 1168 Yards, 8 TDs – CIN 6-10

Chris Carson – 1151 Yards, 9 TDsc – Seattle 10-6 LOST in the WILD CARD (like the Bills did last year)

So, what this all says to me is that having the best at one of these positions gives you a 50% chance of making the playoffs. And NOT having one of these guys gives you exactly a 50% chance as well. So me? I'd rather not pay the superstar premium. It might be fun, but it puts too many of your eggs in one basket. 

• Like (+1) 1