Favorite elevator music

Another Fan

A lot of times I notice music at supermarkets is better than most popular music for at least the last 10 years ironically imo.   I suppose Amy Grant would be considered of the elevator music genre today but I admit I like listening to her music.

2 hours ago, Seasons1992 said:

I'm a "take the stairs" guy normally. Plus elevators are so awkward.....

It’s NOT like the shower. YOU are not supposed to sing in there. No wonder it got awkward!   

We took our college age son to an outdoor amphitheater to see Steely Dan a few years ago. It was a very warm and sticky summer evening, but I was loving it.  About halfway thru the concert we asked him what he thought. His response was “it’s like elevator music without the air conditioning.”  Ouch! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

My favorite is Acoustic Alchemy.  I guarantee you have heard them in an elevator at some point!  

Odds are it was this song; the most recognizable section starts about 5 minutes in, so I'll queue this up after the intro: 

I got to see them in a small club a couple times, and they were absolutely fantastic.  Probably not enough to excite any teenagers though - do they still even care about melody and musicianship?  Yeah I know I'll take my certificate and be on my way...

59 minutes ago, Philly McButterpants said:

My dad owned his own business and used to put on WJYE (back when they played elevator music) all day everyday in is shop, and in the car, and at home.

In that era, their slogan was ‘Beautiful Music, All the Time’.  We coopted that into ‘Elevator Music, All the Time’.

I also recall a dispute over the practice of business sound systems playing radio stations as background music.  Wasn’t there an ASCAP push to somehow compensate performers and composers, since they were not receiving royalties for the performances that were technically being broadcast?  If the business was actually subscribed to the Muzak service, they were then ‘in the clear’, since compensation is built into Muzak for composers and performers.  Promo, any wisdom on this?

18 hours ago, Another Fan said:

A lot of times I notice music at supermarkets is better than most popular music for at least the last 10 years ironically imo.   I suppose Amy Grant would be considered of the elevator music genre today but I admit I like listening to her music.

I liked Amy Grant like a decade or two ago.  

that song .. not so much 

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, Another Fan said:

A lot of times I notice music at supermarkets is better than most popular music for at least the last 10 years ironically imo.   I suppose Amy Grant would be considered of the elevator music genre today but I admit I like listening to her music

AND NOW I have Baby Baby stuck in my head 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 hours ago, ShadyBillsFan said:

AND NOW I have Baby Baby stuck in my head 

Just watched the video you posted.  It definitely sounds and looks very early 90s!  Still sounds good especially when you compare it to today’s mainstream music 

1 hour ago, Another Fan said:

Just watched the video you posted.  It definitely sounds and looks very early 90s!  Still sounds good especially when you compare it to today’s mainstream music 

I first heard her when I was working in Australia for 3 months.  They loved her down under. 

Summer of 92.  

Released January 18, 1991

Format    7-inch, cassette, CD

Edited by ShadyBillsFan
  • Thank you (+1) 1