Hogan will be gone?

He was targeted 6 times and caught 0.  On the last one you could see Brady look right at him and let out an expletive.  I thought then that he's not going to throw to him again.   His contract is up, and he only caught 35 passes in the regular season.  While he was surprisingly important in last years Super Bowl and made a fantastic one hand grab against KC, I'm still thinking when you disappoint in the Super Bowl, Belichick (and Brady) are going to remember it.   If I recall on most of those targets he was thoroughly blanketed - and the passes weren't all that great, but I suspect he's going to bear the brunt of it and be somewhere else next year.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, billieve420 said:

Overrated by many here. Dude is a number #4-5 WR. No interest in bringing him back if he is a FA.

Totally agree.  He is IMO in the perfect offense for his skills as a WR.  If he cannot make it in NE, and 35 catches in that offense is not enough, I do not see him making it with any other team.

Edited by JK Fan
  • Like (+1) 2

Hogan is a good athlete who's hit 30 years of age.  He will decline because that's what happens to most guys.  Edelman is 32, another guy who uses his athleticism to be effective.  Wes Welker is now 37 -- he was an earlier version of Hogan and Edelman -- quick, not really fast, tough, strong, agile, smart.  Yes, I'm aware they're all white men.  So what?  They all fit into the Belichick-Brady system, which relies on receivers recognizing coverages and getting open quickly for quick passes so Brady doesn't get hit and the chains move.  

I was disappointed that Hogan left and really pissed that he went to the Pats, but that's the nature of the business.  The nature of the Pats is rent-a-guy, bringing in people with a couple of years left who can still play and who understand the game.  Not many Pats play there very long.  Ex-Pats are usually not worth signing because Belichick has squeezed out all the juice they had, and because they have been great at fitting into Belichick's system rather than being great players who will excel anywhere else.

So Hogan signs with the Bills and gives them a couple of good years, then moves on, makes a lot of money, gets rings -- sounds like a pretty good career for a lacrosse player -- or anyone else.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Georgia Bill said:

He was targeted 6 times and caught 0.  On the last one you could see Brady look right at him and let out an expletive.  I thought then that he's not going to throw to him again.   His contract is up, and he only caught 35 passes in the regular season.  While he was surprisingly important in last years Super Bowl and made a fantastic one hand grab against KC, I'm still thinking when you disappoint in the Super Bowl, Belichick (and Brady) are going to remember it.   If I recall on most of those targets he was thoroughly blanketed - and the passes weren't all that great, but I suspect he's going to bear the brunt of it and be somewhere else next year.

I rewatched the game. He was blanketed three times (the INT play and 2 deep throws where Peters covered him), one pass was tipped and behind him (bad decision to throw into what looked like triple coverage), one was a one hopper across the middle where he was open (bad throw), and one was a drop on a not particularly well thrown ball that would have resulted in precisely zero yards if caught. Brady yelled at himself on the one hopper, not Hogan. To be fair, Brady was pressured on that throw and didn’t really step into it.

The narrative that he had some sort of bad game because he screwed up is flawed. He’s a great blocker and played almost every snap. That said, I suspect he’s gone.

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

All they need is Edelman

I don't think so.  Edelman was superb in this year's SB.  Two years ago Hogan was superb.  They all fall off a cliff about now.  

Gronk is beat up.  I don't know if he's finished or not.  He can still play but the wear and tear have taken their toll.  If he retires and Hogan is cut, Edelman will not be sufficient.  He can be contained if the defense doesn't need to respect anyone else.  Josh Gordon might not be back.  If the only serious WR threat the Pats have is Edelman, he can be covered.  Of course, Belichick will figure something out as he always does, but the solution will have to be more than Edelman.

• Like (+1) 1

PS re my post above - Hogan played 63 snaps (88 percent of all plays) and only came out for the late td drive when McDaniels went with the heavy 2 TE set to get the rams out of nickel (and then proceeded to pass it 4 straight plays down to the 2). He played in 93 percent of the snaps vs the eagles and in 97 percent vs the Falcons (more than anyone besides brady and the o-linemen).

14 minutes ago, Utah John said:

I don't think so.  Edelman was superb in this year's SB.  Two years ago Hogan was superb.  They all fall off a cliff about now.  

Edelman was superb in all the Playoff games..

Lets hope he falls off that cliff real soon John because I certainly didn't see any sign of it..

Edited by Aussie Joe