Sean McDermott’s Current Approval Rating

Sean McDermott’s Current Approval Rating  

366 members have voted

1. 1. Do You Approve Sean McDermott As Bills HC?

• Yes, I approve
    • No, I don’t approve

1 hour ago, fansince88 said:

I sort of hate the "McBeane" use of the coach and GM. These are two seperate people althoug unlike our past staffs have the same thought process. I'm probably confirming what you said but here is my take. AJ, at the end of preseason, proved he could not take the reigns as the starter. They got a pick for him. Nathan fooled not all but alot of us in the preseason. In fact there were alot of posts about him as #1 and Josh as #2 compared to Jim and Frank. Beane said he handled it wrong and tried to get Anderson in earlier. Injury forced us to bring in Matt and finally after he proved he could be #2 they cut ties with Nate. So here we are now compared to the off season last year. We had Nate in March and brought in AJ and drafted Josh in April. We had no clue what we had but now we have what we hope is our starter, backup and veteran in the room. That room is set. It is a beautiful  thing. In theory it is set anyway and how long has it been that we could say that?

Nate didn't fool everyone... after throwing 5 picks... it was nothing to be fool by. Preseason doesn't mean squat...WHY? Because it's the preseason...if your telling me McBeane was fooled by Nathan Peterman preseason games....then they shouldn't be in charge anymore!

That's my point... & posters that was talking that Nathan's #1 crap... I didn't let that fly over my head. ?

• Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

I've mentioned the playoffs drought, I said because he foolishly bench Tyrod for Peterman...it caused us to cross our fingers for the Dalton to Boyd miracle 

This is the biggest fallacy ever.  If you want to go through the season of Super Bowl winners you’ll find lots of “Dalton to Boyd miracles”

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rochesterfan said:

So you really believe no one wanted Allen from pre draft evaluations?

Even though there was much talk of him going #1 to Cleveland and that pick being between Mayfield and Allen.

The Jets wanted Darnold all along, but then both Buffalo and Arizona were higher on Allen than Rosen.

The scouts around the league had Allen ranked pretty high and the guys that hated him were the pure analytic guys that could not justify the draft position with the numbers.  Allen just blew all of their analytical work up by being successful as a rookie and showing talent and athleticism they could not quantify.  The other things that the analytical guys missed was leadership and heart - Allen has shown an abundance of both, but they struggle to quantify that with things like completion percentage.

Yes some fans hated the pick - just as some fans are down on McDermott and call him conservative without recognizing the changes he made through the season as Allen grew.  Just like most other things people build a judgement and then continue to argue a false narrative to justify their position in the face of alternative facts to what they are seeing.  

For example people argue argue that all they do is bring in ex-Carolina players and that they refuse to go get talent - when by the end of the season there was 1 ex-Carolina player on the entire active roster and 1 in Anderson sitting on the bench, but the narrative continues.  Another is that McDermott is super conservative- when in reality the Bills were upper 1/3 of the league in 4th down attempts and as Allen progressed and showed athleticism they went for more and more late in the season.  He was more conservative early on because the defense was the better part of the team both this year and last and a defensive coach with a better defense should be more conservative.  As the offense got better you saw him make changes to allow more aggression and we will see but it appears to me he is right in the middle - not super aggressive and not super conservative.

No...but I knew there would be a sucker... which is why I posted the videos, cause a lot of people didn't want Allen. But, just how you used scouts that had him ranked high...there was also scouts that had him rank below Mason Rudolph. I've posted links during the predraft process 

The thing is, Allen was actually good. So alot of people were wrong...me included...but I've said this already. 

6 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

This is the biggest fallacy ever.  If you want to go through the season of Super Bowl winners you’ll find lots of “Dalton to Boyd miracles”

It's not, your ignoring him benching Tyrod for Peterman!  That was #Facts! The game was winnable at the time #FACT

If we didn't throw 5 INT's in the Chargers game... we would have controlled our own destiny.

I NEVER SAID ANYTHING TOWARDS DISPUTING the "Dalton to Boyd Miracle" I know those things happen. What I'm saying is, we wouldn't have needed it in the 1st place... if our coach didn't make such a boneheaded decision that possibly costs us a game.

That's why OP started this thread, so we can discuss McDermott approval rating.

If you approve that's fine... but don't sit here & try to dispute his factual stupidity 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Rochesterfan said:

So you really believe no one wanted Allen from pre draft evaluations?

Even though there was much talk of him going #1 to Cleveland and that pick being between Mayfield and Allen.

The Jets wanted Darnold all along, but then both Buffalo and Arizona were higher on Allen than Rosen.

The scouts around the league had Allen ranked pretty high and the guys that hated him were the pure analytic guys that could not justify the draft position with the numbers.  Allen just blew all of their analytical work up by being successful as a rookie and showing talent and athleticism they could not quantify.  The other things that the analytical guys missed was leadership and heart - Allen has shown an abundance of both, but they struggle to quantify that with things like completion percentage.

Yes some fans hated the pick - just as some fans are down on McDermott and call him conservative without recognizing the changes he made through the season as Allen grew.  Just like most other things people build a judgement and then continue to argue a false narrative to justify their position in the face of alternative facts to what they are seeing.  

For example people argue argue that all they do is bring in ex-Carolina players and that they refuse to go get talent - when by the end of the season there was 1 ex-Carolina player on the entire active roster and 1 in Anderson sitting on the bench, but the narrative continues.  Another is that McDermott is super conservative- when in reality the Bills were upper 1/3 of the league in 4th down attempts and as Allen progressed and showed athleticism they went for more and more late in the season.  He was more conservative early on because the defense was the better part of the team both this year and last and a defensive coach with a better defense should be more conservative.  As the offense got better you saw him make changes to allow more aggression and we will see but it appears to me he is right in the middle - not super aggressive and not super conservative.

The NYG had Allen as the #1 QB on there board as did other teams.

1 hour ago, Wayne Cubed said:

Oh come on, Kyle was receiving treatment nearly every off season for both his Achilles. 

As all players do but we are talking about injuries that affect performance in season.  Youre trying to argue with facts here bud.  If youre going to keep refusing to acknowledge facts then Im just not going to converse with you.

Edited by formerlyofCtown
  • Thank you (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

It's not, your ignoring him benching Tyrod for Peterman!  That was #Facts! The game was winnable at the time #FACT

If we didn't throw 5 INT's in the Chargers game... we would have controlled our own destiny.

I NEVER SAID ANYTHING TOWARDS DISPUTING the "Dalton to Boyd Miracle" I know those things happen. What I'm saying is, we wouldn't have needed it in the 1st place... if our coach didn't make such a boneheaded decision that possibly costs us a game.

If you approve that's fine... but don't sit here & try to dispute his factual stupidity 

Well the playoffs werent really the goal.  I believe at that point they knew Tyrod wasnt their guy and wanted to see what they had in Peterman.  I suspect Peterman is a practice MVP as well as a preseason MVP.  For whatever reason he seems to make poor decisions in game.  So I dont fault McDermott in the slightest.  As you can see Peterman is still being given a chance to show he can develope.

39 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

You know that he was a rookie HC right?  Rookies make mistakes, time to get over that and move on.  I would MUCH RATHER have a HC bold enough to risk making a mistake to try and take and a step forward.  

Did it work out?  No, and not every decision a HC makes will always work out.  But at the end of the day, I want a HC not afraid to take chances to make this team better.

So seriously, people need to get over that.  To have it cloud over him still is ridiculous, especially since ultimately we still made the playoffs.  

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

As all players do but we are talking about injuries that affect performance in season.  Youre trying to argue with facts here bud.  If youre going to keep refusing to acknowledge facts then Im just not going to converse with you.

Geez bud, please tell me more about the facts you are presenting. Kyle missed a game in 2014, so it wasn't just 1 season where he missed games. Then he missed 10 games in 2015. Then he missed another game in 2016. He also had nagging back injuries and ankle injuries. But please keep presenting more facts. He also missed 11 games in 2011. And guess what, it's football, injuries happen. 

Again, you've said oft injured, I'm aware what that means btw... that Glenn was constantly struggling with the ankle and back issues, yet he played every single game for 3 straight seasons. Something Kyle Williams never did. 

You've not presented any facts. Show me the facts that he was constantly dealing with injuries that made him oft injured. Actually show me any player that isn't dealing with some sort of injury. It's such a cop out. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, formerlyofCtown said:

Well the playoffs werent really the goal.  I believe at that point they knew Tyrod wasnt their guy and wanted to see what they had in Peterman.  I suspect Peterman is a practice MVP as well as a preseason MVP.  For whatever reason he seems to make poor decisions in game.  So I dont fault McDermott in the slightest.  As you can see Peterman is still being given a chance to show he can develope.

Which doesn't prove anything... a coach making a stupid decision to sign Peterman doesn't make it smart or prove he's good. The same organization signed EJ after we released him...

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

You know that he was a rookie HC right?  Rookies make mistakes, time to get over that and move on.  I would MUCH RATHER have a HC bold enough to risk making a mistake to try and take and a step forward.  

Did it work out?  No, and not every decision a HC makes will always work out.  But at the end of the day, I want a HC not afraid to take chances to make this team better.

So seriously, people need to get over that.  To have it cloud over him still is ridiculous, especially since ultimately we still made the playoffs.  

First year head coaches make mistakes all the time... & get blasted for it...McDermott isnt the exception. But as I laid out, it's not just one thing... McDermott isn't perfect & I love the risky moves but some of his risk isn't as calculated as he suggests. Some moves were just flat out stupid & shouldn't have been made

13 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

IMHO:  2 years from now, McD will be looked at as one of the top 5 HC’s in the NFL.  

I love what hes done, he’s an ideal HC for this team and I have full confidence in him going into this offseason. 

That's good... your all in... most of us isn't. You can't be mad at that

35 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Great post Alphadawg7 but good luck trying to convince the Arena Football League Fire Everybody Gang!

4 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

He gets a thumbs up from me. The penalties have to come down however next year. Maybe an influx of higher talent fixes that. But there were way too many flags this year, especially early on.

Good point!

• Thank you (+1) 1

The needle is still pointing ( slightly) toward approval for me. We will see if this teardown/ rebuild thing works but I’ll argue that it wasn’t necessary like some have implied. It was the McD/ Beane chosen path, but the teardown didn’t have to happen. A retooling on the fly was certainly attainable and commonly done around the league. As for the decision to bench Tyrod, it was a long shot at best, but I was fine with it. Tyrod was coming off three putrid performances and wasn’t beating the Chargers that day anyway. The bigger issue was McDs belief in Peterman, but his questioning of Taylor was spot-on. Year three is going to be the critical year, but it’s been more good than bad overall. 

41 minutes ago, Scorp83 said:

That's good... your all in... most of us isn't. You can't be mad at that

According to this thread and poll, most are in on McD, not the other way around.  Its fine either way, just saying your phrasing here seems inaccurate.

• Like (+1) 1

The approve/disapprove limits voting IMO.

After the last few games (minus NE) and dismissing the 3 coaches I give McDermott a solid B.

Arguments of a B- or B+ can easily be made but anyone giving him an A seems a bit fanboy'ish to me.

Giving him a C or lower would seem to show a personal dislike as apposed to a fair rating.

I want to see him to continue to improve as a NFL Head Coach going forward.

Going into year three, he has cleaned house, created a defense, and imo found a Qb.  Year 3 he will for his first time have an expectation of winning.  Point to Chicago and LAR as jumps the team needs to make.  An improved offense and steady defense should be the best roster and team McDermott has had here.