Stephon Gilmore - first team AP All-Pro

6 minutes ago, Rico said:

Nope, he was a Buddy Nix gem. The much-maligned Nix actually made some good picks for the Bills.

He's much maligned because he didn't do his most important job..........which was to draft and develop a QB.

Nix failure to do so is the reason for the most recent tear down.

Like him or not Whaley was like the ball in the pinball machine........lead into harms way by the outgoing Nix and left to draft the best available QB in a wing-and-prayer class of QB's........and then batted around between 3 head coaches orders and a new owner's ignorance(Dareus' contract was on Terry Pegula).

What Buddy didn't understand is that in the modern NFL you get the QB first.........they can play 15-18 years..........and then you build around them.

Since then teams like the Seahawks have made this into a league-wide model for how to handle your business.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, BADOLBILZ said:

He's much maligned because he didn't do his most important job..........which was to draft and develop a QB.

Like him or not Whaley was like the ball in the pinball machine........lead into harms way by the outgoing Nix and left to draft the best available QB in a wing-and-prayer class of QB's........and then batted around between 3 head coaches orders and a new owner's ignorance(Dareus' contract was on Terry Pegula).

What Buddy didn't understand is that in the modern NFL you get the QB first.........they can play 15-18 years..........and then you build around them.

Since then teams like the Seahawks have made this into a league-wide model for how to handle your business.

Ain't that the truth?  The "it all starts up front" generation resisted with a fervor I never understood.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

And again, I'm for discussing his play against us and matchups with Foster/Zay/whoever we pick up in the next 4 months. I'm unsure why you want to recognize a player for our main division rival's media accolade. Are you making this thread if it's Preston Brown with the award? Or Sammy? Or Tyrod?

I'm unsure of your point. Making the AP All Pro first team is a big effing deal. What has Preston Brown done of note? As for myself, I pay close attention to Bills' draftees who leave the fold. Most here do, in fact. 

1 hour ago, GG said:

He definitely played at a high level in Buffalo, yet somehow the refs have now stopped calling ticky tack PI on him.  Amazing how that affects DB rankings.

Exactly,  if Jerry Hughes ever got acquired by NE, he'd lead the league in sacks and holding calls....

2 minutes ago, BuffaloHokie13 said:

And again, I'm for discussing his play against us and matchups with Foster/Zay/whoever we pick up in the next 4 months. I'm unsure why you want to recognize a player for our main division rival's media accolade. Are you making this thread if it's Preston Brown with the award? Or Sammy? Or Tyrod?

Because it’s news. NFL news is discussed here. Always has been. There were threads about Reuben Foster’s legal troubles too, who isn’t even tangentially related to the Bills. Did you whinge in those threads as well? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

"Shutdown" corner is a myth...even the best corners give up receptions.

In general, you aren't going to find a coach that uses a corner specifically against an opponent's WR2.  The typical schools of thought are:

Theory 1: match your CB1 against your opponent's CB1. In theory, you can feel confident that the opponent's WR1 won't have a huge game against you.

Theory 2: play your CB1 on the same side of the field all the time.  In theory, you know that you don't have to worry about that side of the field, and can flood the other side of the field with coverage en masse.

I don't think I've ever heard of any coach saying "I'm going to match my CB1 against the opponent's WR2 so that I don't have to..."; actually I can't think of a single idea that would make sense as a finish to that sentence.

No offense.

I would (again) encourage you to read the article that I posted that is specifically about that play

The article is authored by Erik Turner.  No offense,  but he’s a gloried fan with experience as a high school football player who blogs.  Zero experience with college or NFL defenses.   Nothing wrong with that but his opinion is far from factual. 

His opinion on what he thinks happened is no more arbitrary than mine, or your opinion for that matter.  

Next time, try harder to find your smoking gun

Just now, Troll Toll said:

I still think Gilmore sucks. He’s lucky to play against scrub receivers 6 times a year in the AFC East. Shredded by Foles in the Super Bowl.

You're aware that he allowed zero receptions in that game, right?  In fact, NE moved him over to match Alshon Jeffery in the 2nd half, and Jeffery had zero receptions after that point.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

You're aware that he allowed zero receptions in that game, right?  In fact, NE moved him over to match Alshon Jeffery in the 2nd half, and Jeffery had zero receptions after that point.

He isn’t aware.  Do you know what Flat-Earthers do when they’re presented with objective, measurable evidence that the Earth is round?  They ignore it.  It’s a symptom of our times...

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BillyWhiteShows said:

The article is authored by Erik Turner.  No offense,  but he’s a gloried fan with experience as a high school football player who blogs.  Zero experience with college or NFL defenses.   Nothing wrong with that but his opinion is far from factual. 

His opinion on what he thinks happened is no more arbitrary than mine, or your opinion for that matter.  

Next time, try harder to find your smoking gun

He specifically references Rex Ryan's quote in the article that says the coverage check was missed.  Maybe you don't think my opinion, TurnerE's opinion, or your opinion matters much, but I would think that the HC's opinion matters.

Next time, try harder to read the article before responding with the snark.

• Like (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Totally right about Seattle. The non-QBs on that team gripe when contract time comes around, but they keep winning because the team focuses on the main thing (and drafts well). Incidentally, how about Tyler Lockett this season? I remember watching him in a losing effort for K-State in a bowl game vs. UCLA and thinking that he was by far and away the best player on the field (and Miles Jack and Eric Kendricks were on that field).  https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/01/tyler-lockett-had-one-of-the-greatest-wide-receiver-seasons-in-nfl-history/

6 minutes ago, Troll Toll said:

I still think Gilmore sucks. He’s lucky to play against scrub receivers 6 times a year in the AFC East. Shredded by Foles in the Super Bowl.

This is actually false. They avoided throwing at him pretty much the whole game. 

Edited by dave mcbride

10 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

"Shutdown" corner is a myth...even the best corners give up receptions.

In general, you aren't going to find a coach that uses a corner specifically against an opponent's WR2.  The typical schools of thought are:

Theory 1: match your CB1 against your opponent's CB1. In theory, you can feel confident that the opponent's WR1 won't have a huge game against you.

Theory 2: play your CB1 on the same side of the field all the time.  In theory, you know that you don't have to worry about that side of the field, and can flood the other side of the field with coverage en masse.

I don't think I've ever heard of any coach saying "I'm going to match my CB1 against the opponent's WR2 so that I don't have to..."; actually I can't think of a single idea that would make sense as a finish to that sentence.

No offense.

I would (again) encourage you to read the article that I posted that is specifically about that play

Usually, what the Pats do is put McCourty and a safety on the number 1 and Gilmore on the number 2. That was based on an article I was reading though. Gilmore also seemed to shadow Foster when we played them. I don’t know who our number 1 is though.

1 hour ago, GG said:

He definitely played at a high level in Buffalo, yet somehow the refs have now stopped calling ticky tack PI on him.  Amazing how that affects DB rankings.

Exactly.  He got called for EVERYTHING in Buffalo, now that he is in NE, he gets away with everything. 

Gilmore is a perfect microcosm of how the refs can control the outcomes of games, players, the whole league really

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billspro said:

Usually, what the Pats do is put McCourty and a safety on the number 1 and Gilmore on the number 2. That was based on an article I was reading though. Gilmore also seemed to shadow Foster when we played them. I don’t know who our number 1 is though.

They do that from time to time, IIRC they kept him on Watkins and off of Hill when they played the Chiefs. Seems they do it mostly against super fast guys. Gilmore is better suited against guys he can be physical with. The only guy that took his lunch money this year was Corey Davis. He ate Gilmore up. Other than that he has had a nice season. 

2 minutes ago, thebandit27 said:

He specifically references Rex Ryan's quote in the article that says the coverage check was missed.  Maybe you don't think my opinion, TurnerE's opinion, or your opinion matters much, but I would think that the HC's opinion matters.

Next time, try harder to read the article before responding with the snark.

Here what Rex said, and this basically confirms MY opinion.  It goes back to what I originally had said - Gilmore was beat more in 2016 than you would expect from a CB of his caliber.  Like I said. Smoking guy. Try harder.

Even more eye-opening was that coach Ryan confirmed that Stephon blew the coverage.

“Stephon Gilmore needs to get back to where he was in training camp. It hasn’t been all bad, but clearly had some struggles.”

1 minute ago, thebandit27 said:

I did!

Yes I played high school football there. And I also blog. That’s how I know Stephon Gilmore has a stellar year in 2016.  He never got beat.  It was always someone else’s fault.