Do you guys think the Bills will add a veteran number one WR.....

njbuff

5 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am still not there myself. 

And to answer the original question - I think they should add a vet #1. Not sure if they will. I provided the stats on both DeAndre Hopkins and TY Hilton's rookie seasons as #2s learning their craft against single coverage while Andre Johnson and Reggie Wayne respectively were the #1s. I think get a vet #1 who can take the pressure off but who also can be a leader and a teacher in what will otherwise be a very young receiver room.

They should absolutely still draft at least one in the first two days of the draft. 

So, I surmise you are thinking trade for AJ Green or Julio? I'd be surprised if this regime would be interested in Antonio Brown given his locker room antics.

Edited by Dr. Who

21 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I will say it right now: the chance that a bona fide major-market superstar like Julio Jones ends up in Buffalo has to be close to zero percent.

Why? Atlanta is not a major market for NFL. Maybe by population but not by popularity.  And it would be via trade anyways so he really would have no choice.  And some players like smaller towns than others. Some may not want a large town like Atlanta or NY.  And lastly, players follow the money.  

That said, I don't think Buffalo makes that trade. 

I think they draft a WR in top two rounds and add a veteran. That will give them four decent WRs for next year and give the rookie some time to adjust.

21 minutes ago, vorpma said:

1978 Bills Acquired Frank Lewis, veteran wide out who worked great with First Rounder Jerry Butler and brought veteran experience to the team - 1989 James Lofton combined with Andre Reed. Both had great numbers, veteran presence in the locker room and great members of the community while in Buffalo! Neither broke the bank!

Pre free Agency era nobody broke the bank.

I am guessing we add a #1 WR via trade or FA(who? I am not sure- possibly a Poyer shrewd FA pickup).  We desperately need a veteran WR for Josh and Foster, Zay, Croom and McKenzie. In a perfect world, Mr Bean will add a #1 WR, a C, OT, and CB predraft.  Then we can draft BPA and trade down if good opportunity presents itself.  

13 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am still not there myself. 

And to answer the original question - I think they should add a vet #1. Not sure if they will. I provided the stats on both DeAndre Hopkins and TY Hilton's rookie seasons as #2s learning their craft against single coverage while Andre Johnson and Reggie Wayne respectively were the #1s. I think get a vet #1 who can take the pressure off but who also can be a leader and a teacher in what will otherwise be a very young receiver room.

They should absolutely still draft at least one in the first two days of the draft. 

I totally agree that we need to add a vet, in fact, I think we need to add 2.  I do think Metcalf will enter draft night as the consensus #1 WR on the board after he shows at the combine.  For me, he is the one guy in the draft that has all the pieces to be a legit #1 WR.  

The guy I am "not there" yet on is our own Zay Jones.  Can he keep getting better, sure, but right now I dont see him as anything more than a 3rd or 4th WR.  I am worried that the last Dolphins game is going to overlook all the times he completely let this team down.  He doesn't excel in a single area of the game.  Look at the key areas of the game for a WR:

• Route Running - Too easily taken off his routes by opposing defenders.  In fact, in several games hes been just manhandled.  And even when not manhandled, he has run sloppy routes at times.  I like his effort (or at least the effort reported by Allen and the staff) in practice and to get better, but for a guy without high end speed, he has to WIN a LOT more on his routes than he does.
  • Hands - I mean this has been on full display for 2 seasons...just way too many drops.  
  • Contested Balls - Making his drops worse, he has been terrible at fighting for contested balls, and when you got a cannon like Allen under center, you better be able to win matchups and fight for balls.
  • Coming back and adjustments - Another area that its been frustrating is how poor hes done at coming back to balls, especially when Allen is escaping pressure.  Ironically, he still gets a lot of his production on these type of plays, but usually when the DB loses him because its hard to hold coverage that long for any DB.  But there have been a lot of times where Allen is escaping and needs him to come back and he just doesn't get there or fails to win against the DB.

This is why that, not only do I agree we need a Veteran, but I think we need 2 because I dont think Zay should be a lock for this roster next year, and certainly should NOT be a lock for the top 3 spots at WR if he is here.  I am totally fine letting him to try and WIN a job against legit competition, but I think we are gambling way too much if we go into the season with our top 3 WRs as Vet/Rookie and then Foster and Zay who both have struggled catching consistently (although Foster has really grown a lot, so he has tons of potential to keep growing as a WR).  I would really like to see us make a play for Tate (or Tyrell) and then add a guy like Humphries to come in and compete for the slot.  Then take a WR in the first 2 rounds in the draft.  

If we got Tate, we would enter camp with Tate penciled in as the #1 and Foster would be the fave to start opposite him initially with what ever rookie we took battling to move up the depth chart.  Humphries can be our Kupp type role out of the slot and Zay can compete with him for that role.  Resign McKenzie as a 5th or 6th WR with ST abilities.  

• Like (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

So, I surmise you are thinking trade for AJ Green or Julio? I'd be surprised if this regime would be interested in Antonio Brown given his locker room antics.

I think they would both come at too high of a price to be honest. I'd have gone for Demaryious Thomas but with the injury that ship has probably sailed. Id have a dabble at Tate in FA.... I'd also see whether with Lockett breaking out the Seahawks would consider doing something for Doug Baldwin. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

You will be passing on some elite defensive talent to do so. I say no. I think he's a mid first round guy. It is still early however. 

He is an elite offensive guy (watch his plays against Alabama DB's NFL quality) and the Bills have a defense and this is a deep defensive draft.

Edited by Tatonka68

11 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

They could probably trade down to the bottom of round 1 and still get him.  Possibly even early in round 2.  

If Metcalf shows well at combine he won't last that long, we would have to take him at 9 or maybe try and make a short trade back.  Late first just won't happen, hes the most complete WR in the draft and legit top end #1 WR prospect.  His neck injury isnt going to scare teams away as long as he checks out.  

Now, if his combine isnt as good as people expect or anything comes up in draft process that adds concerns around his injury being something that could be a risk, then yes he could slide.  But so far, all reports suggest its not anything to be concerned about moving forward.  And because it was his neck and not a leg injury, I expect him to shine at the combine.  

4 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I totally agree that we need to add a vet, in fact, I think we need to add 2.  I do think Metcalf will enter draft night as the consensus #1 WR on the board after he shows at the combine.  For me, he is the one guy in the draft that has all the pieces to be a legit #1 WR.  

The guy I am "not there" yet on is our own Zay Jones.  Can he keep getting better, sure, but right now I dont see him as anything more than a 3rd or 4th WR.  I am worried that the last Dolphins game is going to overlook all the times he completely let this team down.  He doesn't excel in a single area of the game.  Look at the key areas of the game for a WR:

• Route Running - Too easily taken off his routes by opposing defenders.  In fact, in several games hes been just manhandled.  And even when not manhandled, he has run sloppy routes at times.  I like his effort (or at least the effort reported by Allen and the staff) in practice and to get better, but for a guy without high end speed, he has to WIN a LOT more on his routes than he does.
  • Hands - I mean this has been on full display for 2 seasons...just way too many drops.  
  • Contested Balls - Making his drops worse, he has been terrible at fighting for contested balls, and when you got a cannon like Allen under center, you better be able to win matchups and fight for balls.
  • Coming back and adjustments - Another area that its been frustrating is how poor hes done at coming back to balls, especially when Allen is escaping pressure.  Ironically, he still gets a lot of his production on these type of plays, but usually when the DB loses him because its hard to hold coverage that long for any DB.  But there have been a lot of times where Allen is escaping and needs him to come back and he just doesn't get there or fails to win against the DB.

This is why that, not only do I agree we need a Veteran, but I think we need 2 because I dont think Zay should be a lock for this roster next year, and certainly should NOT be a lock for the top 3 spots at WR if he is here.  I am totally fine letting him to try and WIN a job against legit competition, but I think we are gambling way too much if we go into the season with our top 3 WRs as Vet/Rookie and then Foster and Zay who both have struggled catching consistently (although Foster has really grown a lot, so he has tons of potential to keep growing as a WR).  I would really like to see us make a play for Tate (or Tyrell) and then add a guy like Humphries to come in and compete for the slot.  Then take a WR in the first 2 rounds in the draft.  

If we got Tate, we would enter camp with Tate penciled in as the #1 and Foster would be the fave to start opposite him initially with what ever rookie we took battling to move up the depth chart.  Humphries can be our Kupp type role out of the slot and Zay can compete with him for that role.  Resign McKenzie as a 5th or 6th WR with ST abilities.  

I am absolutely for a vet and a high pick. The whole point of the vet is take the pressure of your high pick. I just am not with you on Metcalf (or any other WR being value at #9). Metcalf is my #2 I have the Arizona State kid marginally ahead as my #1 WR. I don't think there will be a consensus #1 WR in this class think they all have holes. My view is if we want to pick a receiver in the 1st we should trade back first. I think any of them at #9 is a bit of a reach still.